Favorites? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Unhappy

Favorites?

I've come out of lurking for a bit to ask y'all if it seems like your parents have "favorites".

The reason I'm asking this is because I got into a fight with my brother (which he started by insulting me for no reason... and when I say no reason I literally mean no reason) and my Mom gives the whole blame on me :/. This always gets me down and always makes me think it's my fault...

Just wondering what I can do to make my mom like more... it also feels nice to share this even if not a lot of people read it.

Atm they're chatting nicely while they ignore me... please help!
I can explain what happened if anyone wants more info.

I don't know if this is the right place to post it or even the right forum to post it on so keep that in mind...

Last edited by TheDrawingMan; 12-25-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:37 PM
E.T.

Of course, parents never say they have favorite but they sure do.
The moment a parent says 'why aren't you more like...' you know there is a favorite. They are treated differently; nicely. My father always takes my older sisters opinion on everything and treats her much better. He used to make me clean her room when she was in high school and while she was in community college as well. He would tell me she had no time because she was studying, total BS! She always got whatever she wanted whenever she wanted it. I, on the other hand, was dealt with much more stringently. It happens can't really change anything.

Sorrow found me when I was young
Sorrow waited, sorrow won
Sorrow they put me on the pill
It's in my honey, it's in my milk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Of course, parents never say they have favorite but they sure do.
The moment a parent says 'why aren't you more like...' you know there is a favorite. They are treated differently; nicely. My father always takes my older sisters opinion on everything and treats her much better. He used to make me clean her room when she was in high school and while she was in community college as well. He would tell me she had no time because she was studying, total BS! She always got whatever she wanted whenever she wanted it. I, on the other hand, was dealt with much more stringently. It happens can't really change anything.
I'm really sorry for you. It's a good feeling to know you're in the same boat as someone who can understand you.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 PM
drowning

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowtheCurrent View Post
He used to make me clean her room when she was in high school and while she was in community college as well. He would tell me she had no time because she was studying, total BS! She always got whatever she wanted whenever she wanted it. I, on the other hand, was dealt with much more stringently. It happens can't really change anything.
oh my god, i would never.
parents totally have favorites. im the youngest and yet im convinced my mom favors her firstborn my borhter. its actually kinda funny bc he doesnt make the best decisions in life (dropped out of school, been arrested &currently on parole, but she's bought him two cars and i had to buy my own. she also got him a laptop one christmas in hs and all she gave me was a 50 visa gift card. she's always giving him money whens he asks but when i needed money for school where was she?
and she wonders why i spend more time with my stepmom.

only god can judge me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 PM
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyleaf View Post
oh my god, i would never.
parents totally have favorites. im the youngest and yet im convinced my mom favors her firstborn my borhter. its actually kinda funny bc he doesnt make the best decisions in life (dropped out of school, been arrested &currently on parole, but she's bought him two cars and i had to buy my own. she also got him a laptop one christmas in hs and all she gave me was a 50 visa gift card. she's always giving him money whens he asks but when i needed money for school where was she?
and she wonders why i spend more time with my stepmom.
Yeah, that's kind of messed up. Most parents have favorites and it shows like the light of day. Sorry about your mom. My dad does similar things, when my older sister was still living with us he would let her do whatever she wanted and even paid for her school but not mine. She had a car to go to school with and I had to take the city bus. Whenever he would pick me up from school he always showed up an hour late; I was the last person waiting for a ride. It's really disrespectful in all aspects.

Sorrow found me when I was young
Sorrow waited, sorrow won
Sorrow they put me on the pill
It's in my honey, it's in my milk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 PM
drowning

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowtheCurrent View Post
Yeah, that's kind of messed up. Most parents have favorites and it shows like the light of day. Sorry about your mom. My dad does similar things, when my older sister was still living with us he would let her do whatever she wanted and even paid for her school but not mine. She had a car to go to school with and I had to take the city bus. Whenever he would pick me up from school he always showed up an hour late; I was the last person waiting for a ride. It's really disrespectful in all aspects.
it really is but thanks
they're just prime examples of how i'd never be with my kids

only god can judge me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 PM
electric

Yeah, I think just like you have a favorite parent or a parent you're more comfortable with and who better brings out the best in you, the same is true for them for their children. It's possible I'm my mom's favorite, but I'm pretty sure my my sister is my dad's favorite. They have similar personalities and naturally play well off each other's humor but I'm pretty sure I never have a conversation with him that feels relaxed and enjoyable. They try to be fair though and I think they are. I love them both and they both love me. Sorry it sounds like your mom's bias is more pronounced. :/

We are the drop, the wave, and the tide.
|ᓴ\___/ᓱ|
╰☆╮╭☆╯
 ⋱/⍚\⋰ 
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Parents definitely have favorites. I was lucky in that they mostly ignored me, but my mom really disliked my younger brother when we were kids. He could never do anything right. Even now she doesn't like him all that much, even though he's a good guy.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 PM
permanently barnacled

Yes.............. My parents say that they've always wanted a boy yet, i got treated like garbage/ a second class citizen during my childhood under both my sisters (and i was the youngest). My dad went to all my sisters like "events" (one of my sisters was really into sports so he went to all her games and my other sister was really big into theatre and he went to all of her shows, and i was a bit of mix of both) and i cant remember him going to a single one of mine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
My parents ignores me most because i don't talk to them. My mom once took my brothers to buy clothes and they just left me out. Sucks but oh well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page