Even my dog has anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy

Even my dog has anxiety

I feel so bad that she does. I see some symptoms in her such as trembling-- when ever my dad comes around she trembles or hides on the side of the bed or under the bed.

She's a sweet girl, we got her as well as another dog (he's a boy--but he's more boisterious than her) from a bad situation... I feel she may have experienced some trauma maybe.

But they also haven't been socialized so I was wondering-- what are some ways to help my little baby feel safe ?

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:09 PM
New Dawn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
I feel so bad that she does. I see some symptoms in her such as trembling-- when ever my dad comes around she trembles or hides on the side of the bed or under the bed.

She's a sweet girl, we got her as well as another dog (he's a boy--but he's more boisterious than her) from a bad situation... I feel she may have experienced some trauma maybe.

But they also haven't been socialized so I was wondering-- what are some ways to help my little baby feel safe ?
I have seen that with a cat.

Usually is a sign of that person they are afraid of at some stage has hurt the animal.

Or if not them a similar looking person.

Only way the pet will feel ok or close to again, is if that person makes up with her and shows that won't harm her.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:19 PM
bipolar

My wife got her latest dog from a shelter too. You could tell it wasn't confident coming inside - was probably forced to stay out the back before.

Sounds like your dog might have had a nasty male owner at some stage. (although I'm certainly no expert) After a while if your family constantly shows it there's nothing to be afraid of it should get better.

My wife's dog is so spoilt now he must think he's died and gone to heaven.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Korean
Have you tried having your dad give her treats? And make sure he approaches the dog the right way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl with a pen View Post
Have you tried having your dad give her treats? And make sure he approaches the dog the right way.
Lol the dogs are so fickle. My dad can feed them then they start barking 30 minutes later lol

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
My wife got her latest dog from a shelter too. You could tell it wasn't confident coming inside - was probably forced to stay out the back before.

Sounds like your dog might have had a nasty male owner at some stage. (although I'm certainly no expert) After a while if your family constantly shows it there's nothing to be afraid of it should get better.

My wife's dog is so spoilt now he must think he's died and gone to heaven.
Yeah it sounds like it. I do hope we can help her get over it.

me holding her and being near her helps.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:36 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Yeah it sounds like it. I do hope we can help her get over it.

me holding her and being near her helps.
Will probably get better over time as she sees it's safe at her new place.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:

The whole trembling and hiding thing makes so much sense when you place "Got my dog from a bad situation" in such close proximity.

But seriously. I think that's pretty normal for some breeds. Or at least usual. I used to know this lady who had a little dog that trembled no matter what. That dog probably slept shivering.

Some of these breeds are bred for weirdness and weirdness transpires as a result.

My schnoodle was a bit on the strange side where she was little but she kinda looked big if you looked at her a certain way.

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page