Driving test. Extremely nervous! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Driving test. Extremely nervous!

My driving test is in two weeks and I'm terrified beyond belief. Just driving with my instructor is bad enough, never mind an examiner.

Has anyone got any tips on keeping your nerves in check? I know on the day I'll just be a wreck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Desu!~

My Mood: Brooding
Oh! Good luck :3 how long have you been taking lessons for?

I've generally been putting off both my driving test and theory test because... well, both seem to be quite intimidating though, and I do also have a habit of panicking too admittedly xD. Just remember though that there's no shame in failing though, I've known people fail quite a number of times and they don't even have social anxiety issues :/ and then I've also seen people pass and I just wonder how when their driving is still quite bad... xDDD. I don't really have any tips other than that though *ahem* but I think you'd do great, and a few mistakes here and there shouldn't matter (unless you kill someone aha..) <.<;;
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
As long as you are safe you cannot fail. Even if you go the wrong way or completely forget their instructions just do everything safely. For example if you end up in the wrong lane for some reason but it isn't safe to change then just go with the traffic until it is.

My leg was shaking so much I had to.pull up middle of my test, I told the examiner why and was fine. You are showing that you are a good driver if you know your own limits.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraceForImpact View Post
My driving test is in two weeks and I'm terrified beyond belief. Just driving with my instructor is bad enough, never mind an examiner.

Has anyone got any tips on keeping your nerves in check? I know on the day I'll just be a wreck.
Is it because you're afraid of not getting your licences or the interaction with the officer? I'm guessing both but mostly with your interaction? One thing I wish I had done on my test is told the guy I was nervous. Its amazing how knowing someone empathizes with you can calm your nerves. And so please believe me, almost everyone gets super nervous doing this test, so its very, very normal. But wouldn't it be more painful to not get your license? Everything is fine, the test is super hard to fail, and everything will work out. I made a bunch of mistakes, and it was okay. Like Unforgiven said, just concentrate on staying safe, you'll be fine. And nothing wrong with failing like Nekomata said, its fine, everything is fine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I need to remember not to get hung up on every little mistake. I just need to get in there, keep my head and drive to the best of my ability, and you are all right, the worst that can happen is I fail - then fair enough, I know what to expect next time.

Thank you for all the support. I'm feeling a little better now; it's nice to talk to people who can actually relate.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Talking

relax

you controlling a machine! it shall obey!

only humans are who hurt, criticise, mock, play nasty with you. shouting, mean.

four limbs! use 'em. physical connections similar to a bike. an exa-human toy.

push, pull, twist.

daunting task: avoid evil judgement, follow instructions. get everything right.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 AM
Tired

Language: English
My advice would be to lower expectations. Ultimately you don't actually need to pass, you can re-take it. I would view completing the test as the measure of success. With anxiety even doing stuff like this is exhausting and difficult, that should be your goal. Completing the test is your success... view it as a practice run.

This will likely reduce pressure as well, and probably increase your chances of passing. Increasing the stakes of something rarely improves performance. Just completing the test, at all, should me your measure of success.. when you do this, and its fine, you will find it easier the next time. Plus you might pass it as well, so all good.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
My advice would be to lower expectations. Ultimately you don't actually need to pass, you can re-take it. I would view completing the test as the measure of success. With anxiety even doing stuff like this is exhausting and difficult, that should be your goal. Completing the test is your success... view it as a practice run.

This will likely reduce pressure as well, and probably increase your chances of passing. Increasing the stakes of something rarely improves performance. Just completing the test, at all, should me your measure of success.. when you do this, and its fine, you will find it easier the next time. Plus you might pass it as well, so all good.
This is really helpful, I never really thought about it like that. I'll try and put this mentality into practice. Thank you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page