Does your SA cause you to lose money? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does your SA cause you to lose money?

You know how sometimes something is on sale but it rings up as the regular price? Or maybe the cashier will ring up something twice?

Well this happened to me on black Friday. My aunt asked me to get her a TV using her card. But the cashier rung me up a few minutes before the sale started and the TV rung up as $100 more. I swiped the card then realized the mistake but I was literally too scared to say anything because there was a super long line behind me and i know how people get on black friday. I didnt want to hold up the line for the cashier to refund me the money and whatever else so I paid for it and spent the rest of the week waiting anxiously for my aunt to bring up the mistake. She ended up taking the TV back (turns out it was the wrong one anyway &#x1f644 but only after questioning me about what happened. I was so embarrassed.

This is nothing new for me tho. I never speak up when I realize I'm being over charged. Idk what's wrong with me.

Does anybody else have this problem? Or something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 AM
Barbells and kittens

A couple years ago when I traded in my S7 Edge for a Note 8 I was supposed to get the trade in value applied to my account and never did. I just let it go because I hate talking on the phone. In person I don't mind speaking up about it, but I really hate phone calls.

Got screwed a little on my Sirius XM account earlier this year, too. When I bought a new truck they wouldn't transfer the service and instead credited my remaining service towards a new and more expensive plan. I actually did call twice about it and both times the person I spoke to didn't speak English well enough for me to get my point across, so I just gave up.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM
👁 👁

Language: None
It causes me to not make money, and it causes me to never do returns and never dispute mistakes. But overall it saves me a lot of money by making sure I don't want to go shopping very often.

99% of my shopping is grocery shopping, but it's irritating when an item is supposed to be on sale and I see it ring up at self-checkout for regular price. I don't want to go through any extreme awkwardness for a few dollars though so I let it go.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:15 AM
monk

other than earning potential there have been many times I wanted to return something etc but didnt.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Sometimes, but it's rare as I very rarely buy something...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Fine
A few years back when my anxiety was really bad,this memory sticks out for me.I was shopping for a HDMI to VGA adapter. walked into a small tech shop , the door had a loud squeak when opening, so everyone(mostly employees ) in the store turned their heads to look,they kept looking at me as I walked to the counter and I went into panic mode .I wanted to be out of there as soon as possible, I made a mistake and said I want a VGA cable,the dude reached under the desk and put the VGA cable on the counter,now I started realizing thats not what I want but I was already in panic mode that I paid for it and left the store. The VGA cable is still in my room still packaged..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - -- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - - -- - -- - -- - - -- -- - -- - --
I really had bad days I felt like am alone but it was once worse. I think am making progress and finding my smile back.
What am currently on:
Online Anxiety Help
The link is audios,videos and by that Irish guy Barry McDonagh(one of my favorite Social Anxiety authors ). Sharing is caring.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 PM
bipolar

It doesn't happen like that for me anymore. I just complain, I call the person over - whatever. I couldn't care less. It has held me back from making money though - because I could never do a job that was even remotely challenging, they were pathetic.

Nowadays I have the added problem of anger/pure rage - probably at the start of a manic phase. I get so angry I want to rip people's throats out. Don't feel much anxiety at those times though, which is a plus.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:19 AM

It betta nawt
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:13 AM
SAS Member

Nope. I say something.

There have been times in which I have bought snacks on quick sale and when I scan the item it doesn't register the sale price and I've asked an assistant to fix it, even though it's only a 50 cent difference.

The other day I picked up food at a restaurant that I had a voucher for. It included drinks and pastries but they forgot it. I went back once because they forgot the drinks. I walked out then realised I should check if they added the pastries. They didn't so I went back. I felt a bit embarrassed but hey I paid for it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:03 AM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Dead
I almost never check if I was given back the correct amount in change when I shop with cash, so it makes me wonder just how many times I may have been ripped off. I'm just in a hurry to get my items and leave, because the thought of calculating in public what would may otherwise be elementary math makes me nervous. (But that's just how low my confidence in my mathematical ability goes..)

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:20 PM
SAS Member

I used to make a living selling things secondhand but SA did get the best of me sometimes when it was necessary to go out and meet people. So I missed out on making some money from craigslist. But when it comes to being overcharged no I rarely ever complain or try to get the difference back. The last time I was in the wrong and it was embarrassing.

“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”

― Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Walking through windows

Something like this, in principle. But far and away, it "causes" me to not make any money. Or capitalise on any potential.

Though severe chronic depression, etc, is the main thing for me, in the first place.

I am not my rosy self
Left my roses on my shelf
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:12 PM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
My Mood: Sad
Many times. The worst was probably when I bought my appartment. I only went to one single bank to ask for loan. The rate I got isn't that bad (1,4%) but I am sure, with my current job, I could have gotten better than that. Even the real estate agent told me the same. I should go to a few other banks and use my current financial situation to get a better rate.

I never did of course.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
My SA is me and I have no money.

/WYSD
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
My SA is me and I have no money.
At least you can't lose any

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
At least you can't lose any
Unfortunately, that doesn't need to happen in order for it to make things difficult.

/WYSD
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
Many times. The worst was probably when I bought my appartment. I only went to one single bank to ask for loan. The rate I got isn't that bad (1,4%) but I am sure, with my current job, I could have gotten better than that. Even the real estate agent told me the same. I should go to a few other banks and use my current financial situation to get a better rate.

I never did of course.
I did the same thing with financing a vehicle a few months ago. All the how to guides said go to several banks and get approved for a vehicle loan before going to the dealership. I ended up just getting financed at the dealership. My credit score is high enough I could've gotten a better interest rate somewhere else for sure. Need to refinance it at some point. My car insurance company also does refinancing and they offered to refinance it already, so I'll probably go with them rather than shopping around.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 AM
Packing My Bags

The fact is, if you try to avoid holding up the line, many others before you have, and many others after you will hold up the line, likely for a much more worse reason. Yours is a legit reason for you to hold up the line and do so. It's the employee's and store's job to worry about long lines behind you, not you.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page