Does anyone have any advice they were given when they were younger that they regret not ta - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Does anyone have any advice they were given when they were younger that they regret not ta

Does anyone have any advice they were given when they were younger that they regret not taking or listening to at the time?

I can think of some financial advice I was given that I wish I would have followed. Or as far as social anxiety goes I wish I would have followed the advice to get over your fears you have to face them. People would tell me you just have to do it and you will see it isnt that bad. Although they werent having panic attacks like I was and may not have understood fully they likely had the right idea. Instead I just read about SA or trying to develope social skills or confidence without actually having the guts to just go out and do it. Something I do regret now I think.

Not sure if I had forced myself to give speeches in front of class when I was in school instead of skipping class would have solved the issue completely but it likely would have helped. Or approaching the woman I wanted to talk to instead of just thinking about it would have made me much less anxious and I could have had a normal dating life in my college years or early 20's. Missed out on a lot by not taking that advice I think.

So do you have any advice they were given when they were younger that they regret not taking or listening to at the time in regards to SA or in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I don't think I was ever given any good advice in my younger days. I didn't have many friends, was without internet till I was 14 or 15, and the adults in my life were pretty literally stupid and self-absorbed (they dispensed a lot of bad advice, almost all of which I've disregarded as an adult myself).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 04:29 PM
bipolar

Not regarding my SA - but I regret not buying real estate.

I remember this lady I didn't even know telling me to do it about a thousand years ago - we were having a coffee waiting for a train in the city (that sort of thing happened to me quite a bit for some reason) and she just started talking to me. She said buy anything - but buy it.

I was in a position to do it easily too - my father bought and sold places all the time and one of my best friends was literally like a bank he had so much money, I could have borrowed from him - but I still didn't do it. I was a ****wit.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
The #1 thing I regret is birth. Everything Else was inevitable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Not regarding my SA - but I regret not buying real estate.

I remember this lady I didn't even know telling me to do it about a thousand years ago - we were having a coffee waiting for a train in the city (that sort of thing happened to me quite a bit for some reason) and she just started talking to me. She said buy anything - but buy it.
Yea buying real estate is a great investment once you are able to do so money wise. Better alternative then paying rent. I bought my townhouse about 7 years ago and hope to have it paid of in the next 3 years.

Location does make a big difference on real estate however so the ladies advice of buy anything may not have been a great idea. For example if you bought property 30 years ago or so in Detroit Michigan it probaly would not have been a good investment. They are tearing down a whole lot of houses in the city now. Once the auto industry left it hurt the city horribly. So dont buy in a location where the economy is likely to collapse and that is hard to predict a lot of times. Real Estate dosent always go up in value. People learned that lesson during the 2008 real estate crash learned that lesson.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page