Does anyone get very nervous before work? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does anyone get very nervous before work?

Before and even during work, I get VERY nervous. I even drink during work to calm down. I don't know why I'm nervous. I'm afraid of making mistakes, being criticized or something. All I do is clean bathrooms and pick up trash. Does anyone feel the same way?

Nardil 75 mg/day (22.5 mg in the morning, 22.5 mg in the afternoon, 30 mg at night)
Seroquel 200 mg/night (100 mg to get to sleep, 100 mg in the middle of the night)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 04:54 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
When I was working a real job, I used to have very bad insomnia the night before work (so got very little sleep), would wake up nauseated (and unable to eat before work), and very often felt so much anxiety at work that I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack. Working retail, imo, for someone with bad anxiety, is very nearly hell on earth. (Maintenance is maybe not so bad, if you don't have to spend all your time doing verbal judo with other people.) So yeah, I think this is probably pretty common.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 05:33 PM
SAS Member

One thing you have to understand in the world is even if you are doing something right, someone will find a way to tell you you are doing it wrong

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 05:49 PM
Only those worthy...

My Mood: Angelic
Well for the last few years I've been doing driving jobs, driving dump truck, delivery etc, mostly in summer, help on family farm in winter, you don't have to be super sociable for that & I find driving calming, hell no to customer service type jobs or retail :-)

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 05:59 PM
Failure's Art

I don't really get nervous before work, though I used to for this one job I had in college. I mostly get nervous just before specific social interactions, like conference calls or job interviews. Things like that. There isn't that much social interaction required for my job, aside from the periodic conference calls, so I'm usually okay in that regard. Sometimes I will get nervous due to the pressure of meeting deadlines though, like get worried I won't get something done in time or will screw it up. But that doesn't happen often.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 02:49 AM
Loathed Loiterer

I do if I am expecting any stressful agendas at work that day. If not, then on a typical day, I am usually just grumpy as I go into work. Working from home, I don't have this because my stress levels are usually lower.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 03:05 AM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I try not to think about it but it is indeed difficult. I'm sort of glad that work gives me something to do besides worry or fret. Then again, if its killing you and harming you mentally, I'd say stop.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 04:52 AM
SAS Member

I get really nervous before work too! My managers correct me quite often and I feel like I never do it right, though i've been a cashier for like a year. im really reluctant to go to work and if im there im stressed...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 06:10 AM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish, English, German
My Mood: Relaxed
I had to go to a very unpleasant place once a week for work reasons. I found it hard to fall asleep the night before, and tried to overprepare in the morning, but I could barely concentrate.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 11:21 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmycaptain View Post
Before and even during work, I get VERY nervous. I even drink during work to calm down. I don't know why I'm nervous. I'm afraid of making mistakes, being criticized or something. All I do is clean bathrooms and pick up trash. Does anyone feel the same way?
Good thing you got a job where is dosent matter to much if you have a drink or two. At least your not driving or anything like that.

Try to relax and not take the job so seriously. Its a cleaning job they are a dime a dozen.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 01:13 PM
SAS Member

Well, I currently don't even have a "real" job, I work from home in a job that doesn't require me to interact with people. So that answers your question lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussle View Post
One thing you have to understand in the world is even if you are doing something right, someone will find a way to tell you you are doing it wrong
I actually find it beneficial to look at this the other way around: if I'm doing something bad, someone will tell me. Like, if I'm doing a bad job at work, my manager will let me know. It keeps me from spending a lot of unnecessary time worrying about my performance.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 06:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticradio725 View Post
Well, I currently don't even have a "real" job, I work from home in a job that doesn't require me to interact with people. So that answers your question lol.

I actually find it beneficial to look at this the other way around: if I'm doing something bad, someone will tell me. Like, if I'm doing a bad job at work, my manager will let me know. It keeps me from spending a lot of unnecessary time worrying about my performance.
It depends on the job but with that mindset, no disrespect, but most of the jobs ive had required that we did jobs right the first time or dont do them at all because if my managers/boss had to come and right our wrongs at all, we wouldnt last a day working for them but like i said it depends on where you work, some of the jobs Ive had, Im sure I could get away with this mindset like in fast food cause nobody really takes it seriously and if i made mistakes the consequences werent as severe whereas having this type of mindset when I would work on luxury yachts where I would have to fix very expensive equipment, there was absolutely very little room for error or room for doing a bad job, very stressful job this was, I either get it right the first time or im getting fired because I could cost damages in the thousands.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
I have always been self-employed and highly phobic of the work environment due to early experiences (it's strange, but it is what it is). I went through the entire process last year, at the start I was too phobic even to look at a job site, or a cv, or anything. But through careful gradual exposure, I got there and even worked my way up to interviews (thankfully remote), which were my super phobia, and now I have a job as a peer support worker for the elderly with mental health problems.

Am I going to be nervous for this last step? Hell yeh. Very. But as with everything, the anxiety diminishes (i am quite comfortable with remote stuff now, looking forwards to an interview / chat with a lady tomorrow on there).

But yeh, its going to be scary as ****.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2021, 10:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussle View Post
It depends on the job but with that mindset, no disrespect, but most of the jobs ive had required that we did jobs right the first time or dont do them at all because if my managers/boss had to come and right our wrongs at all, we wouldnt last a day working for them but like i said it depends on where you work, some of the jobs Ive had, Im sure I could get away with this mindset like in fast food cause nobody really takes it seriously and if i made mistakes the consequences werent as severe whereas having this type of mindset when I would work on luxury yachts where I would have to fix very expensive equipment, there was absolutely very little room for error or room for doing a bad job, very stressful job this was, I either get it right the first time or im getting fired because I could cost damages in the thousands.
Sure, I get it. And I think that mindset just works for me specifically as a person, because I've always been a very good worker, but I'm also a raging perfectionist and spend a lot of time worrying that I'm going to get fired because of one tiny inconsequential error or whatever. The mindset I've been trying to cultivate is, if my boss doesn't call me out on it, odds are the so-called mistake I made was not important and not worth stressing about. Or, in the longer term, if my boss has always praised my work and never said anything bad about my performance, I probably don't need to worry about being fired for bad performance in the foreseeable future.
But that's coming from someone who is a crippling perfectionist and always stresses out about the worst possible outcome. I totally get why that approach wouldn't work for other types of people.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page