Does anyone get heart palpitations? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Heart palpitations

Does anyone else get these? I've had them for minutes at a time before, usually in the evening. I'm thinking it could be stress, or hormones, or maybe I just really need to exercise. Also, I dunno if it's just my imagination or what but in the morning sometimes I just feel like I don't get enough air in my lungs and my chest feels kind of uncomfortable. I read an article recently that said that people have the highest risk for heart attacks in the morning right when you wake up.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. - Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Re: Heart palpitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgal
Does anyone else get these? I've had them for minutes at a time before, usually in the evening. I'm thinking it could be stress, or hormones, or maybe I just really need to exercise. Also, I dunno if it's just my imagination or what but in the morning sometimes I just feel like I don't get enough air in my lungs and my chest feels kind of uncomfortable. I read an article recently that said that people have the highest risk for heart attacks in the morning right when you wake up.
While a check-up with your doc could be good to help ease your mind by ruling out any cardiac issues, the shortness of breath symptoms you describe are usually caused by hyperventilation. Learning diaphragmatic breathing is a wonderful skill for all with anxiety to have in their toolboxes.

Regarding the palpitations, those used to scare me into a panic attack. I saw my doc and wore a Holter Monitor for a day to record any events. I only had a few abnormal beats, and out of the 100,000 heartbeats or so per day, a few wonky ones isn't anything to be concerned about (according to that doc). Oh, and cutting out caffeine did wonders for me.

Here's a bit about diaphragmatic breathing: http://www.anxietycoach.com/breath1.htm

And a little about palpitations here: http://www.livingwithanxiety.com/anxiet ... ations.htm
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I find it's gotten a little better since I stopped drinking coffee, so the cutting caffeine may have helped now that I think about it. And yeah, I need to find a doctor too, I've put that off way too long already. Thanks for the websites, Dan. I'll check up on it!

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. - Oscar Wilde

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
mg1

Hi quietgal

I get heart palpitations pretty frequently. I start obsessively counting my pulse and freaking out about it, which only makes it go higher. I have to remind myself that anxiety and caffeine have an effect on your heart rate, but I always worry it could be something else.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

To help with palpitations take 400-600mg of magnesium, fish oil, and coq-10. That will actually help with your tension (atleast the magnesium will), and if the underlying cause is physical it can reverse it alot of the time. You are doing alot of good by avoiding stimulants; i've started to and have noticed tremendous benefit.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Permanently Banned

Yes, I used to get these quite badly. I thought my heart was going to explode at some points, it was extremely scary. After trying anti-depressants for awhile the heart palpitations seems to have stopped. I don't think it was the medication specifically but the fact that I'm no longer as overly stressed and borderline 'suicidal' as I was back then.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
SAS Member

I developed these. Turns out I have a mitral valve prolapse with a second degree AV block. Taking magnesium stopped the palpitations cold.

The Food & Drug Administration (FDA)

It's the government's way of trying to protect you from protecting yourself.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
SAS Member

Yup, I've always had heart palpitations. It's annoying, but it's something I just have to live with. It can be annoying at night sometimes when I am trying to sleep and my heart keeps pounding.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently

I would get panic attacks because of palpitations. I would get so anxious I would waking up in the middle of my sleep gasping for air could be bad dreams hopefully not anything serious.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Used to get them alot. Haven't had any since I started taking Metoprolol and quit caffiene.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 01:05 PM
SAS Member

I get those occasionally, and I'm a hypochondriac, so I'm always thinking "oh my gosh what's wrong w/ me?!"
I think unless it's all the time its nothing to worry about.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
SAS Member

heart palpitations?

I think this has alot to do with social anxiety. I've been getting them off and on for the last few years. It must be because i've bottled up so much stress and anxiety and my heart is working overtime. Does anyone else get these?

“No man’s life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.” - Gideon J. Tucker
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

In the past month or so I've been getting them from time to time. Of course, it scared me to death when it first started so I got a ton of tests done, and it was nothing physical. I'm pretty sure it's anxiety. Although not just social. In class a few weeks ago we all had to go up to the board one by one and write something down, and I didn't know what to do. As I was sitting there in my chair waiting for my turn, I could practically hear my heart beating. Also I tend to get anxious at night now (don't know why), so sometimes if I get home later than planned or have to finish things before going to sleep, my heart is usually racing and pounding.

It's weird because I've been stressed a ton of times before and nothing like this ever happened. It's scary that it could cause such a strong physical symptom.

Just knowing that all my tests came back normal helps a lot. Now I know that when I get these episodes, ignoring them is an option. If I'm really stressed at the time it happens, it usually passes on it's own after a while. If I'm not stressed and it happens, I just try to breathe really slow and deep, and try to think about something that makes me laugh.

I hope this goes away for both of us. Even though I know it won't exactly hurt me, it's still scary.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine

Does anyone get heart palpitations?

It's kind of worrying me but i'd say about a year or more ago i started getting heart palpitations, not really sure how to describe it but its like a moment of feeling your heart beat (maybe a double beat?) It only lasts a few seconds but it freaks me out.

I'm worried because it's been happening more lately, like almost everyday, once or twice a day. It happens randomly, i don't even have to be nervous/anxious to have it happen.

I googled it and it says they are common in people with anxiety but i'm not entirely sure since they happen when i am not anxious and they are happening more lately. Though i have been stressed out lately...

I know i'm young and should be healthy but my paranoid thoughts are getting to me.

WTB> Confidence
WTB> Good self esteem
WTB> Friends
WTB> Outgoingness
WTB> Better life

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM
SAS Member

I get these all the time, ever since I was 11. Even when I'm relaxed and tucked away in bed, it creeps up on me. It's horrible, isn't it? I still don't know what to do about it. I just wait and let it pass. Sometimes for me it lasts for 20 minutes. You shouldn't worry too much, just try breathing exercises. Take a deep breath, hold for 5-7 seconds, let out a slow breath and repeat until you feel better.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Admiring beards from afar

My Mood: Dead
Yeah. It's a weird feeling but I'm used to it now. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:10 PM
PreciousGleamingMcNugget

All day every day. Breathing is important. Calming techniques. But beta blockers can help when nothing else does.

nobody exists on purpose. nobody belongs anywhere. everybody's gonna die ~~

If you like pina coladas and gettin caught in the rain, follow me on Twitter @audreytheworst . I never talk about pina coladas or rain. But surely you like other stuff. If you don't, get some other interests already, geez.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 PM
SAS member

My Mood: Lonely
I usually don't

- I now issue the call, are you ready to fight
Fight all together as one for the right to be free once again
Tonight we will win

I can see by the look that you have in your eyes
You came here for metal, to fight and to die
Defenders of Steel now we are home

Fight for the kingdom bound for glory
Armed with a heart of steel
I swear by the Brothers who stand before me
To no man shall I kneel
Their blood is upon my steel
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I was experiencing heart palpitations and I got an ECG. It came up normal. You're probably fine, but if it would make you feel better, you could get an ECG.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 AM
Hey sokoly!

My Mood: Dead
I have it, and sometimes, feeling the heart is skipping beats with chest pain. Feeling weak and dizzy when it happens.

життя без кохання ? з відеоіграми це можливо!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page