Does anyone else look back at their childhood and get angry that their mental health issue - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by AffinityWing View Post
They did find me a counselor or therapist a few times, but generally they would be people they would take me to only once or twice and then never again.

Mental illness is quite stigmatized and unspoken about in my family and my mother doesn't even believe depression is real.
Same here. My parents took me to a therapist a couple times. They would diagnose me with anxiety. But my parents would just say they disagreed with their opinion. I know now they did it because they thought if I knew I had something wrong mentally I would use it as an excuse to not do things.

I get their point but instead they just let it go untreated and let me suffer. Not cool! I think if I had gotten better treatment it would not have solved all my issues but it certainly would have helped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 AM
SAS Member

i think about this a lot, all the suffering i went through by myself mentally at a young age. I was as quiet as a mouse, school told my parents to test me for a learning disability, turned out I didn't have one.
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I stopped getting angry after I moved away. I even missed my parents. Then I came back after 5 years to live in the same city, and the proximity brought back a lot of bad feelings I buried.

It's not even that they didn't care that I had social anxiety or never had friends. They did not seem to see me as human, just as a tool they could use in their marriage or a shoulder to carry their burdens and problems. Usually, adults try to shield their kids... my parents used me as an emotional punching bag. I was never loved or cared about or made to feel like I mattered, and none of the adults in my life looked out for me. I had an older sibling who tried a bit towards the end (before I left), but he had his own demons to deal with.

I'm kind of still 5 years old at heart I guess. As an adult I latch onto all the mentor or authority figures I can because I never had parents, and it's still a void I haven't filled. It's something I struggle with the past while and a reason I'm considering relocating away again. Seeing my parents just brings a lot of resentment to the surface.

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Merry Effing Christmas

No, I blame society. My parents did what they thought was best, based on contemporary social attitudes of the time. They didn't ignore me; they tried to "fix" me.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
Yeah a little bit. My mother did care it's just that I didn't get the help that was needed. My father definitely did not care about any problems I had. He was barely a father figure. Teachers saw that I was shy and meek and some of them defended me from bullies and I did get sent to the school counselor and she tried to help my self confidence. I was pretty bitter about the lack of treatment but now I see that so many people have issues, including worse than mine, so I forgive my mother.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Persona Non Grata

My Mood: Worried
I am on the verge of turning 40 and with that fast approaching I have been thinking...more like obsessing over things I have missed out on (friendships and relationships being the biggest two things) and my poor decisions which I pay for each day. If only I wasnít so closed minded as a teen/young adult...I could have gone away to college and away from my sad hometown but I didnít and it is one of my biggest regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine79 View Post
If only I wasnít so closed minded as a teen/young adult...I could have gone away to college and away from my sad hometown but I didnít and it is one of my biggest regrets.
Your not 40 yet. Still fairly young. You can still make that move. Get out of your hometown. I didn't until I was in my early 30's. (42 now). It is good to get away and see what other towns or cities have to offer. If you don't have kids of spouse not to much holding you to your hometown. Why not leave? Start applying for jobs somewhere you want to live. If it dosent work out you can always head back home. But at least you gave it a try
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old Today, 02:08 PM
SAS Member

Yes. Society also sucks in general.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you from doing all the things in life you'd like to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page