Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do your parents have social anxiety?

1K views 27 replies 27 participants last post by  Shawn81 
#1 ·
Just wondering

Mine don't .

#4 ·
My mom is anxious with high blood pressure. But very social. My dad is more socially quiet and introspective. He's also a big drinker. There's mental health issues on both sides.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Both act anxious in social settings though they at least had the skills to survive. You pretty much had to before our connected world. I don't feel like I picked up the bare minimum of social communication skill that they have.

#16 ·
To some degree, I guess they do but nothing like mine. My mom has strong SA tendencies but she also tends to go to random places and start awkward conversations with strangers. Which is very awkward when I am with her because most of the time you can tell the people are like "WTF lady? Leave me alone!"

She also starts weird conversations with people who come here to work on things. And again, you can tell the people are not wanting to be rude but also uncomfortable. :lol

#22 ·
My dad and brother are more on the shy spectrum. Although they don't have social anxiety. My mom and sister are on the extrovert spectrum. Especially my mom. I always wonder what my mom will be like if she does have social anxiety and is an introvert. Likely will be much less emotionally harsh and aggressive person.

#25 ·
I don't think so. My mother was an extrovert, and my father definitely an introvert but he had no problem interacting with people and by all accounts was a kind and friendly doctor with a good bedside manner. He did like to be alone and read and study to "recharge". He didn't care for family gatherings and the like, but he did enjoy political and academic discussions and arguments. I think he was just introverted by my understanding of the term...gathering emotional energy and replenishment by being alone...not by being in a crowd. Dad had a brother who I think may have had SA, but he was also an alcoholic and died in single vehicle accident. Mom had an uncle who never married, and a brother who is very quiet and reserved. I have a cousin who is in his 50s and never married.

I'm introverted and shy and have social anxiety. I feel my brother is too to a great extent. Lately, my anxiety is being very intrusive in my life. Things are piling up and I'm not doing things that I need to.

Anyway, I do think genetics may play a role in my SA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.