Do you wish/dream of being old? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Language: English and a few others but not very fluent or so

Do you wish/dream of being old?

I do because it gives a feeling of comfort, to be so close to the end and especially because when you're old there are literally no expectations anymore of you from the outside world.

Old age is so far away though, I'm only half way there. I often wonder what the second half of my life will bring, I can imagine in comparison with the first half it will be slow and painful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 11:40 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I wish to be dead by age 50. Hell, I wish to be dead in a year. I'm a pessimist now, I can't imagine a life where I can watch my health and possibly my mind deteriorate in real-time month after month.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Mad Scientist

Most people I know are older than me, hopefully I still have some people to interact with when the time comes. Most of life is filled with the less ideal, or at the least mediocrity. There must be something freeing about being that close to death. Sort of like being 10 pieces down in a game of chess. You know you're gonna lose, so you can move whichever piece you want however you want. You can even pick one up and throw it off the table, it's not gonna change the outcome. Freeing in the sense that your fate becomes less abstract. If someone walks up to you and tells you that you're gonna die in 10 days, well to hell with the rent! I'm doing something I actually wanna do.

I used to have an idealization of the "premature death" mostly from reading Mishima. There is this story in The Decay of the Angel (I believe) about a rat and a cat. The cat tells the rat that he's going to eat him, and the rat, out of rebellion, jumps into a pond of muddy water and drowns himself. The cat walks up to the rat and pokes him a few times, now disinterested in eating this dead rat covered in filth, the rat thereby transcending the identity of a rat: this thing that gets eaten by cats. I thought this was a beautiful rebellion against being, Mishima himself concluding his life like the rat.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:04 PM
drifting in mist

Not really. Old age sucks even for people who are successful and raise a loving family.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:08 PM
🌱🐌

My Mood: Angelic
Both my sisters have worked in care homes for the elderly, they can tell stories, um hell no I don't want that.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
No I don't look forward to it, because I've been around elderly people and know what age does to people's bodies and minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:25 PM
SAS Member

When i was younger i used to imagine how cool it would be to be older, ... i don't do it anymore.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:40 PM
SAS Member

Nope. I have major difficulties imagining the future. My life has typically been just being in survival mode trying to make it through the day. It makes goal setting pretty difficult when you're not really able to look forward.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:55 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
I'm sort of looking forward to my 30s and 40s. People that age give less of a **** and more wise in a cool way. Being retired will be fun because you wont have to work.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

No, I dream of being young. I'm going to Benjamin Button the second half of my life.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:40 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
I'm sort of looking forward to my 30s and 40s. People that age give less of a **** and more wise in a cool way. Being retired will be fun because you wont have to work.
All of these things are what happens when you get older if you're lucky. I'd go back to being 20 right now way before I'd want to be any older.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 04:05 PM
bipolar

I can see to some extent how getting older might make people feel a bit better about things - even at my age (almost 62) there's definitely less pressure. The pressure I feel mostly comes from myself.

If my general health stays relatively good then I think old age will be okay - although I do worry about it. Then again I worry about everything so what's the difference.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Language: English and a few others but not very fluent or so
I meant that if I had the possibility to jump 35 to 40 years in time I'd probably take my chances. It should feel comforting to me to know I don't have to go through all kinds of stressful moments yet to come in life. I mean if you are like me and you really see no future that is acceptable then the next 35 years will be a real pain in the ***.

Oh well I really don't have any fight or energy inside me. Life isn't meant for me yet I'm pretending everyday that it's all good it gets tiresome.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 10:05 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A

Do you wish/dream of being old?

No way. I know some people that work at nursing homes and it’s scary/ sad the **** that goes on there. Plus old people get things like arthritis, osteoporosis, dementia, and countless other health problems I’m not looking forward to getting ****ed with. Not to mention going broke due to retirement or just plain disability and ridiculous medical bills.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 04:06 AM
Barbells and kittens

No, not at all. Don't want my body wearing out where literally everything is much harder to do. Plus health problems related to aging.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 06:24 AM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
My Mood: Pensive
I don't know. I wonder how much I got left. I don't think I'll live that old. Mental health takes it's toll on the body and mind. Being tense and stressed is not good for the system. I have a few good habits to help, but the moment of death might come at any time. I have no kids and not that many close connections. I had a few accidents in the past. I think death will just come and that'll be it.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 11:40 PM
SAS Member

Just in terms of where I hope to be in life-- like moving out of this country by retirement and getting a sailboat. I also don't fear for my 30s since 90% of my 20s (especially mid/late 20s) could have been better. For most people, it seems to be the opposite.

Nothing beyond that.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 12:09 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Hell no. I think I used to think it would be fun but I have watched my parents grow old and it scares the hell out of me. It is very sad to watch someone go downhill that way.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
No because I see what being old does to my grandma, she s still praised for looking so young for her age and not being like other seniors but she suffers alot, back pains, knee pains, insomnia, eats very little, sometimes not at all. She repeats things because she's so scared of getting alzehimers and losing the information. I don't want to live my life with the physical and emotional pain she s had to suffer through and I don't want to worry about Knee/hip replacements and Vitamin B shots and walking around all day with a walker while I tell my granddaughter/grandson to go to the store for me, clean the kitchen, make my half cup of coffee and my Weetabix in the morning.

I m afraid of not being enough

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page