mal

re: Do you think you're ugly?

And me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
SAS Member

"when i was a teen my parents would constantly tell me how ugly i was"

Are you serious? How did you respond? I can't imagine a reason why a parent would ever feel the need to their child that. There aren't many worse things you can do to a child.

I'm pretty satisfied with myself. I clean up pretty nice when I shave and cut my hair well. I just need to be about 6" taller.
post #23 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:21 PM

Yep, I think I'm really ugly. The thing is, nobody's ever told me if I was ugly or not and I'm too scared to ask. Because nobody said anything I just assume I'm ugly.

post #24 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:28 PM

I know that I'm ugly...I've overheard people say so before. But I really don't blame my SA on it; I just try not to think about it.
post #25 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM

Re: Do you think you're ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwitness
Every day when I look in the mirror I'm disgusted. Sometimes I think I wouldn't even be going through this if I was good looking my whole life.

Does anyone else think that they're ugly, and do you believe that this belief holds you back?
No. I know I'm ugly. And being good looking wouldn't help. If I was good looking people would look at me for being good looking so they'd still be looking at me. Only difference is people would be looking at me for positive reasons but I'd still feel uncomfortable.
post #26 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 PM

GUMARO wrote: ''when i was a teen my parents would constantly tell me how ugly i was. when i was in my early 20s, i would get a lot of compliments on how attracrive i was. now i dont think i look that good but it doesnt bother anymore.'' The comment from your parents really bothers me! What a lousy , unloving thing to say to one's own child. I'm glad you became content with your looks as you matured and i'm sure you learned a life lesson from the good and bad that was said to you. In other words, remember how the nasty comments had affected you and say good to others.
post #27 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

I don't think I'm ugly, but I'm not a model. =P

You'll never be in love like you were the first time you heard the first lines of your favorite song
post #28 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Magnanimous carcinoma

Yes, I am appalling. I guess I could be worse, though. I hate how I look simply because I'm not amazingly attractive. For myself, "average" is unacceptable. I don't know why I feel like I have to be in the physically gorgeous elite to have even a slight amount of self-esteem. Well, I would probably be highly critical even if I looked like a super model.
post #29 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 PM

Nah, not really, but I have my moments where I feel ugly.

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of an Elliott Smith lyric (how surprising):

Just looking in the mirror will make you a brave man.
I know my place, hate my face...
post #30 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
SAS Member

I have definitely referred to myself as ugly before, but mostly in my teenage years. I don't use the word now, since I connotate it somewhat broadly to other factors (like personality). Regarding my physical attractiveness though, I find myself EXTREMELY unattractive and not at all sexually attractive.

I was teased for my red hair, pale skin, and short height (5'5"). I am fairly fit due to my love of running, but it doesn't make me look good. I have never had a girlfriend, and I am virtually never complimented on my looks (just from my mom, which does more harm than good). I come across as if I'm 15 or 16 years old, despite being 23. I think the evidence is in... I'm quite pathetic on looks.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... d,381.html

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... d,382.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedlemon
I'm pretty satisfied with myself. I clean up pretty nice when I shave and cut my hair well. I just need to be about 6" taller.
How tall are you? Are you shorter than my 5'5" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Religion

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of an Elliott Smith lyric (how surprising):

I love that song.

AIM: adamhoef

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
post #31 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 PM

it varies every day. Some days I think I look ugly others I think I'm passable.
post #32 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:19 AM

Yup I'm hideous, but I've learned to accept it. I can't even look into a mirror, my mind does something really warped with my image.

When people do compliment me I feel like it's out of pity, so that makes me feel even more awkward.
post #33 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM

'You're so ugly you'll probably have to become gay and sleep with men' - I was about 15 when someone said this to me.

Since the age of 12 I've been called ugly by people at school, random people in the street (girls mainly) and work colleagues. My nickname was 'freak' or 'weirdo' by one workmate.

Sometimes when I look in the mirror I think I'm incredibly brave to have lasted this long, lesser people would have given up by now if they'd been born with my face and body.

Being born with deformed toes, receding hairline at 17, fair skin that refuses to tan, a long neck, bad teeth, acne, weak chin, pigeon chest, glasses etc etc I could go on but who cares.
post #34 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM
SAS Member

I don't feel like I'm ugly, but I sometimes attribute me not able to get a date to my looks. Physically I'm not overweight, fat, or thin; I just lack regular exercise and am out of shape, but I for the most part eat right. I just lack confidence.
post #35 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I have never had a girlfriend, and I am virtually never complimented on my looks (just from my mom, which does more harm than good).
Yeah I know where you're coming from with the whole mom thing. I don't think you're a bad looking guy at all. I just thought up a fun game for us sa guys. We should go to a bar together and see who can get more numbers, lol. That would be hilarious and fun, and funny being that we're all going in with the whole sa issue.
post #36 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrum
I have definitely referred to myself as ugly before, but mostly in my teenage years. I don't use the word now, since I connotate it somewhat broadly to other factors (like personality). Regarding my physical attractiveness though, I find myself EXTREMELY unattractive and not at all sexually attractive.

I was teased for my red hair, pale skin, and short height (5'5"). I am fairly fit due to my love of running, but it doesn't make me look good. I have never had a girlfriend, and I am virtually never complimented on my looks (just from my mom, which does more harm than good). I come across as if I'm 15 or 16 years old, despite being 23. I think the evidence is in... I'm quite pathetic on looks.

Quote:

Quote:

I love that song.
Nah, I wouldn't say you're pathetic. Your face isn't striking or anything, about average or maybe a bit below average(I'm not an expert ;p), but enough that a girl would find you handsome if she became attracted to you. It really does work that way.

As for your height, I am also short (5'5.5" -5'6") and it is an obstacle, but if you get the right attitude and work on your social skills you'll be fine. You may not get the dream girl you want (not to say attractive girls couldn't become attracted to you) but why would you wanna apply some double standard anyways?
post #37 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 07:20 PM

I've got you guys beat. I'm 5'4" and I'm not gonna grow any taller.
post #38 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 PM

Double post.
post #39 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrum

Quote:

Quote:

I love that song.
I'd hit it. hehe Seriously, you're attractive.
post #40 of 1835 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 PM

I go through periods of thinking I look okay and thinking I'm hideously ugly. Not too long ago my acne was completely out of control and I felt horrible about my appearance; it's finally starting to clear up now so I'm feeling better, but I'll never consider myself sexy or attractive; people have told me I'm cute/pretty but I just don't like my appearance most of the time.
Ardrum, I don't find you unattractive

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page