Do you think the Philosophy of Stoicism is helpful? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Do you think the Philosophy of Stoicism is helpful?

I recently came across the idea of Stoicism. Do you think the Philosophy of Stoicism is helpful? I could see the benefit especially for people who suffer from anxiety disorders.

What is Stoicism?
Stoicism philosophy dates back to 3rd century BC, when it was founded by Zeno of Citium in Athens. Stoicism is the art of not being phased by situations that are not under our control. It is a basic human tendency to try and control our surroundings. When this control is lost emotional turmoil and depression grips our mind. Stoicism enables us to let go.

For those who like it super quick, here’s my version of Stoicism in a sentence:
“Stoicism teaches how to keep a calm and rational mind no matter what happens to you and it helps you understand and focus on what you can control and not worry about and accept what you can't control.”

Example of Stoicism-
Joe– Someone stole my shoes. I feel terrible. I curse that the thief will get sore foot. I miss my shoes.
Stoic– Ok. I lost shoes. I will get new shoes.

Joe– I lost my job. I am a stupid jobless person now. I will never find another job. I want to get drunk and cry like a baby.
Stoic– Ok. I need new job, let’s prepare a CV and look for new career opportunities.

Stoicism is all about looking forward in life and controlling what you can. It prevents your brain from overthinking. Stoicism is closely related to teachings of Lord Buddha and also forms building blocks of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Nothing can help fight depression and anxiety better than stoicism.

Stoicism is especially relevant in modern times. We constantly get bombarded with a lot of information through news channels, facebook, twitter, snapchat and online forums. A selfie of your ex standing with her husband in Hawaii or a pic of your colleague next to his new SUV on facebook can spin your emotions faster than a fidget spinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:00 AM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
only as fairly general idea. theres no goto text or methodology backing it as far as I know.

taoism has the tao te ching. it has a more grounded philosophy (in that it's not just a general idea)

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
only as fairly general idea. theres no goto text or methodology backing it as far as I know.

taoism has the tao te ching. it has a more grounded philosophy (in that it's not just a general idea)

Yea I like some of the general ideas of being a stoic. Focus on What You Can Control, Accept What You Can’t / Be mindful and Distinguish between good, bad, and indifferent things. There 4 cardinal virtues are pretty good.

1 Wisdom or Prudence: Includes excellent deliberation, good judgment, perspective, good sense.
2 Justice or Fairness: Includes good-heartedness, benevolence, public service, fair dealing.
3 Courage or Fortitude: Includes bravery, perseverance, authenticity (honesty), confidence.
4 Self-Discipline or Temperance: Includes orderliness, self-control, forgiveness, humility.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Dont buy into all the ideas of stoicism such as the pursuit of pleasure is bad and all vices are bad when you pursue them within reason.

Some good concepts I take apply to my life. I will have to check out Taoism as you suggest. Hopefully some good concepts for me as well

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page