Do you think it is normal to go places with your parents when you are in your 30s? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question

Do you think it is normal to go places with your parents when you are in your 30s?

Do you think it is normal to go places with your parents when you are in your 30s? I do, I see them once a week, somtimes twice. I will go on a walk with them and sometimes to the shops. Because of my mentality I think people are looking at me and judging and stuff. The shop assistant asked if I was at uni when scanning though the check out with my parents, I guessed either it was because I was with them or maybe I look younger? I only have one true friend and they have their own issues and aren't around that often. I am busy with work other than this from home, work from home, but going out somewhere with my parents creates a break from the house - i live alone.

Do you think it is normal to go places with your parents when you are in your 30s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Barbells and kittens

I go out to eat with my mom occasionally. I took her to a concert of one of her favorite artists a few years ago after getting them to go with a girlfriend and we ended up breaking up right before. I don't think it's weird. I'm 35, by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:23 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
not normal for me, but I'm not normal anyway. pretty extremely normal for many people.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
I go to lunch with my mother a few times a month and if there is a store to check out we will. But I don't really care at all what people think, I see middle age people with their parents and I doubt anybody bats an eye unless the parents are constantly with them. Then maybe people will assume there is something unusual about the person, but overall it's no big deal. Just live your life.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Normal or not, I do it. Sometimes my mom and I go out to eat or go out on walks. She usually pays, which I'm sure makes me seem young (not that I can't afford it - it's habit more than anything else).

I lived with my dad for six months and we would go out once or twice a week. I didn't care what other people thought about it. He died in January. You never know how much time you have.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:29 PM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
No, yet here I am.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Seems normal then thanks for the replies. It's just my anxiety / paranoia really, it puts me in a real negative mood. Probably low in serotonin, just had some 5htp
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialwish View Post
Do you think it is normal to go places with your parents when you are in your 30s? I do, I see them once a week, somtimes twice. I will go on a walk with them and sometimes to the shops. Because of my mentality I think people are looking at me and judging and stuff. The shop assistant asked if I was at uni when scanning though the check out with my parents, I guessed either it was because I was with them or maybe I look younger? I only have one true friend and they have their own issues and aren't around that often. I am busy with work other than this from home, work from home, but going out somewhere with my parents creates a break from the house - i live alone.

sounds like the person was just being nosy. Some people are nosy and some people are rude and some people are nosy and rude. I'd ignore it. But you could also just give them a look and tell them it's none of their business.

/WYSD
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Very true, I should just shrug it off. Maybe should just thought I looked like I was stocking up on shopping for university, they have a lot of them around that area thinking about it
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:05 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialwish View Post
Very true, I should just shrug it off. Maybe should just thought I looked like I was stocking up on shopping for university, they have a lot of them around that area thinking about it
I think there might be some kind of push in B&M stores for checkout people to be more talkative these days. It seems like I've noticed they seem to make relatively unnecessary chat more often than they used to. It might be assumed that people who don't use self-checkout are using the manned checkout lines because they prefer a more personal experience. So maybe managers tell the people working them to be chatty or something. Still, I don't like it. I go to the manned ones because people who do it for a living are generally better at doing it right than I am and it's a mess if anything gets screwed up in the self checkout line.

/WYSD
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yea very true. I often go to the self checkouts but this time I had too much stuff. I don't mind a quick chat if I am in the mood, today wasn't one of those days though
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I don't think that it's bad, it is just society what wants you to think that it's not good thing... It's not wrong to spend some time with parents, especially if you have good ones...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Ad astra per aspera.

It is normal imo. You may just be self conscious abt it. Close families hang out at each others houses, go out to dinner, watch the kids, go to the store/movies. Of course, every family is different, but I wouldn't blink an eye at someone being out with their mother. I think it's nice more than anything. If I actually knew the pple and realized they're together very often, I might wonder abt it (but most likely I wouldn't.) Someone in passing? 100% wouldn't give a second thought.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:28 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
It's perfectly normal. It is actually always normal. It's just that between ages 12 and 18 (or whatever), it seems like the most humiliating thing in the world.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Absolute Thinker

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotInTheDark View Post
I don't think that it's bad, it is just society what wants you to think that it's not good thing... It's not wrong to spend some time with parents, especially if you have good ones...
The media gave society an awareness, while the software engineers create cryptographic keys for the Supercomputers to design humanity social interactions.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA computionally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events in their own environment.

NSA Software Engineers designing citizens mind, language and awareness incorrectly.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My parents usually come to my house once a week and then I go out somewhere with them. Although this week it is strange and will be 2 days.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
That's completely normal. If you never leave the house without your parents, now that would be weird. Like if your parents drove you everywhere.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 AM
SAS Member

It is so normal to go to places with your parents. Some people would do anything to have that kind of relationship with their parents. Family is so important and if you have a good relationship with them, you should cherish that. My mom is my best friend in this world.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
People of all ages go places with their parents. As you get older you don’t just ditch your parents and decide you can’t be seen in public with them 🙂

I used to meet up with my parents for Sunday dinner and go for a walk with them afterwards, it didn’t feel strange at all. In fact, if you have a good relationship with your parents that you can stand their company, well that’s normal in itself lol! 😄

It’s when you are permanently attached to your parents that it becomes strange! 😛
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM
SAS Member

Yes. I don't go out much with them on a daily basis, but I just invited my mom to a photography event that's coming up and I spent four days on vacation with them at the end of September.

I think if my childhood hadn't been a little rocky, I might do more with them, especially my dad. But I get so anxious being around them sometimes that it's hard.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page