Do You Think Isolation affects Cognition? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy

Do You Think Isolation affects Cognition?

I seem dumber in public, like I am not really grasping simple concepts. I suppose it's partly because my attention is elsewhere but it's crippling in a way. I get home and see things more clearly, realizing I must have seemed dim-witted to people around me. I wonder if long term isolation locks in this 'condition?'

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 09:13 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: None
Part of it is being distracted by anxiety, but part of it is lack of practice/experience interpreting all the different ways different people communicate and their differing presumptions. And another part of it is that our first reaction to confusion is embarrassment and inadequacy instead of immediately stopping them to ask questions before we get more confused.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:57 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Idk. I think I'm just as stupid at home as I am in public. Plenty of people have called me absent-minded. I've always had trouble grasping simple things, even as a kid, before the anxiety set in, and I was always surrounded by people then. Even when I write big posts I always feel like everything I'm saying must just be really obvious to everyone else so I end up deleting most of them without ever posting them. I should probably delete even more of my posts than I do.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:09 AM
Pesky Pessimist

In my experience, it certainly does. Since socializing does exercise your brain and mind. Isolation and lack of socializing certainly will affect it. Especially if you are not doing other things to keep your mind stimulated. And generally with isolation, most people tend to be less motivated to do this.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:17 AM
zkv
SAS Member

What Paul said sounds about right.

I do think I seem even dumber if that's possible in public, at least most times, when I feel anxious and uncomfortable. When it gets really bad I struggle with words bad.

Every mental health professional I've seen more or less regularly, has said a thing I've got going for me is what they interpret as intelligence. I don't know where they get that idea though, especially considering the jumbled way I speak to them. I feel pretty stupid most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Idk. I think I'm just as stupid at home as I am in public. Plenty of people have called me absent-minded. I've always had trouble grasping simple things, even as a kid, before the anxiety set in, and I was always surrounded by people then. Even when I write big posts I always feel like everything I'm saying must just be really obvious to everyone else so I end up deleting most of them without ever posting them. I should probably delete even more of my posts than I do.
I'll respectfully disagree. Think you would too if you could see yourself from the outside. You 'grasp' things I have absolutely no concept of. You calling me stupid? 'Cause if that's the case, I find that, uh... OK, I agree.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 04:51 AM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish, English, German
My Mood: Relaxed
Absolutely. If you have no one to contest your harmful beliefs, you end up feeling as though they're true. They may be beliefs about yourself (I'm not good enough) or about others. I've seen people on other forums who have never had friends and they came to the conclusion that it was because of their super rare and socially unacceptable hobbies such as... chess and classical music. I think you need to have regular contact with reality to develop an accurate and possibly more positive self image and to dispel those superstitions.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
My IQ seems to drop 30 points whenever I interact with someone in real-time for something that's not an established routine, and I don't need to wait to get home to realize my latest ****-up that could have been avoided if I'd had time to think instead of just reacting.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:49 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post
I'll respectfully disagree. Think you would too if you could see yourself from the outside. You 'grasp' things I have absolutely no concept of. You calling me stupid? 'Cause if that's the case, I find that, uh... OK, I agree.
I think you're just biased. If you saw how hard I struggle IRL you wouldn't think that way. There's a reason my life is a ****show. I have no common sense.

I just seem smart because I only ever talk about things I know something about, and one of those things happens to be psychology, which carries weight on a MH forum. Everyone sounds smart when they're talking about something they know a lot about. But this is a MH forum, not a political/legal/music whatever forum. Give me just about any job IRL and see how hard I fail. It's pretty spectacular.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It's interesting how high the cognition level of the responders to this thread is. All great responses--things I had an inkling of but no clear language for.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 01:58 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Well in isolation you can stare off into the distance in thoughtful reflection while stroking your chin more, so yes it probably helps.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 PM
A Mountain With Wings

Yeah, in a way. Like I can see and understand concepts, but I struggle to put my thoughts into in the moment words, so I don't say anything. This also carries over to text and talking on the phone. The only exception is when me and my uncle talk about sports. Outside of that, everything else flies by without me saying much.

Painting moments with words never been
I stay patient
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
When I was in living in Kissimmee, Florida my mental abilities were sharper, because I was around less people. In New York City, I feel as if my mental abilities are decreasing from being around a crowed environment. Florida gave me the time to monitor my own thought patterns, memory, emotion and behavior more.

I started created my own concepts when I was in Florida. A member on here made me aware that my concepts are repetitive, and another member on here made me aware that my terms are unknown.

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!

In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 05:04 PM
Failure's Art

I'm always dumber in public because I think I'm devoting a share of my brain's resources to making sense of that situation I'm in and paying attention to what people around me are doing rather than the task at hand. But, generally speaking, I do think that a lack of social interaction can in fact affect your cognitive acuity negatively. We take it for granted but communicating with people is a complex behavior and if you don't engage your brain in such complex behaviors regularly it atrophies to a degree.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:27 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
Given that I often limit conversations to one word responses, I probably seem pretty dumb to people. I'm definitely not socially intelligent. In that regard, I have no idea what the [insert word here] I'm doing.

Life's Wack
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Part of it is being distracted by anxiety, but part of it is lack of practice/experience interpreting all the different ways different people communicate and their differing presumptions. And another part of it is that our first reaction to confusion is embarrassment and inadequacy instead of immediately stopping them to ask questions before we get more confused.
So accurate!

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.”
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesker View Post
I seem dumber in public, like I am not really grasping simple concepts. I suppose it's partly because my attention is elsewhere but it's crippling in a way. I get home and see things more clearly, realizing I must have seemed dim-witted to people around me. I wonder if long term isolation locks in this 'condition?'
I can definitely relate. When I'm around people it becomes way harder to think of the right words and I use my train of though more quickly. Listening to what other people are saying is just as hard, if not harder. I often just can't follow what people are saying. I often forget what people are talking about mid-sentence. But that's a general problem of mine, even if I'm watching movies or something. But if you add SA on top of that, even that gets amplified.

I think the lack of social social interactions over the years literally made me dumber. I think I once read somewhere that having regular social interactions is important in creating new neural pathways.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurparty View Post
I can definitely relate. When I'm around people it becomes way harder to think of the right words and I use my train of though more quickly. Listening to what other people are saying is just as hard, if not harder. I often just can't follow what people are saying. I often forget what people are talking about mid-sentence. But that's a general problem of mine, even if I'm watching movies or something. But if you add SA on top of that, even that gets amplified.

I think the lack of social social interactions over the years literally made me dumber. I think I once read somewhere that having regular social interactions is important in creating new neural pathways.
It can be really demoralizing. I lose the thread in conversations almost always--miss whole sections even though I'm putting in painful effort--maybe too much effort. What is most devastating is knowing that I am operating far far below my potential (not that I have great potential but I still want to be...me). I think everyone wants to, at least, be able to operate at a level they know they can operate at. When you see yourself falling so far short of that, it's like you feel robbed of true expression.

~bad baby

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page