Do you take offense to cashiers or sandwich artists not greeting you properly? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
What's a sandwich artist?

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 12:30 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Quote:
What's a sandwich artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo.1114 View Post
I imagine people who deal with customers face-to-face all day long 5 days a week can probably pick up on body language, subconsciously, better than others. Most people with anxiety tend to give off nonverbal cues that tells others to leave them alone.

This.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 03:00 AM
experimental sincerity

I'd guess that they're trying not to sound like automatons. If you're saying 'hi how are you' to three people in a row, it doesn't feel sincere. Mixing it up makes it seem more natural.

Or there's something about you that makes them want not to engage. You'd know better than me.

Or they're tired.

Or...or maybe we're just giving this matter way too much thought. Let's just eat the sandwich.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 10:41 AM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire mage64 View Post
Well that is creepy.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 03:58 PM
SAS Member

it could be for any reason honestly i stopped caring about this as well but how about this, do you notice all the times the cashier did greet you?

Honestly it could be for any reason. Maybe they are racist, dont like how you look, etc. Could be that they just forget. I remember when I use to work the register at the fast food job i previously had, of course I tried to greet everyone I could but im sure i didnt greet everybody.

Usually the line was suppose to move fast, Id probably greet the first person, then probably would look at the incoming person and they would start ordering but I did try to make a conscious effort to greet everyone but i mean when its all day i dont think i possibly could have greeted everybody and since Im not an a hole i didnt also conciously make sure not to greet anyone unless they looked homeless or something.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:16 PM
SAS Member

Yes I get offended. But I can't blame them because I'm awkward and they can sense it.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
No. In fact sometimes I get annoyed with people who do try to chat. Not specifically because they may be trying to do a better job or following company policy (I get that and/or it's nice of them to put an effort into that sort of thing if they haven't been literally told to by the boss) but it's just something I don't want and when I don't want something it's still annoying even if the intent wasn't bad.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 12:00 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
No, in the UK we dont go in for that kind of thing.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

Nope

Doesn't bother me one bit. It could be something they're doing based on what they think of my appearance but it could also be a number of other things (e.g. maybe I didn't smile).

No point in caring about something regarding someone who will never care for me ever. They're there to do their job, not to please me. They might not even like their job.

I just don't care. I don't get the fascination people here in the states have with people having to be pleasant. People don't have to be anything just 'cause you want them to be.

ďThough I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:26 PM
SAS Member

Depends. If a cashier doesn't acknowledge me at all yeah, I feel it's quite rude. If they don't say hi but they talk in a nice way it's not so bad but I've had ones where they don't say hi, just tell me the total and throw me the bags lol it's like the hell...? was that?

So come rain on my parade
'Cause I want to feel it
Come shove me over the edge
'Cause my head is in overdrive
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 06:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
Some places I go too offer the self check out so I use those if I have a few items. It doesn't really bother me if the cashier doesn't say anything except for telling me the total, I think I prefer it that way anyways.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Naw
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 12:23 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
Sometimes, yes. I think it's mostly because I want to fit in and make an effort. But when it doesnt happen, you feel like you don't fit in. Then again, I always have this off-putting closed off vibe. It was more apparent when people could see my face, but now that they can't, there's a slight rise in the "how are you's" but not much. It's always appreciated, even when I dont articulate loudly at all.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Permanently Banned

No. That would be hypocritical. Iím not nice and chatty, so I donít expect others to be either. Itís nothing personal. But I guess your view helps you understand other peopleís perspective and why they might view our quietness as offensive or rude.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I may have before when I cared about what they thought but I'm just there to get my Sub or pay for my groceries, if they say Hi I'll say Hi great, if I ask how they are and they don't reply I'll say to myself whatever, doesn't affect my day. Would I like it if they had some manners and said Good morning how are you today? that be great but some people they have a job in customer service but they have no customer service skills.

Some are direct and to the point, they want you in and out, they have a business to run and they aren't pleasant people, others are not happy with their job choice so they act like jerks but you can ruminate over them or remember the ones who did treat you well, cause there are good people and sometimes even they, because they are going through a hard time can act like jerks.

I m afraid of not being enough

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page