Do you never show your face online? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Paramecium brain

Do you never show your face online?

I'm too paranoid to show my face on forums or online with other people. Seems like people lose interest whenever they see what I look like. Also paranoid someone in real life would spot me on here. But others share pics of themselves regularly, like in the photo albums on SAS.

Does anybody else hide themselves like this?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go home and have a heart attack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Sage of the Stars

My Mood: Lurking
I don't post pictures of myself anywhere.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM
BBW MILF

Language: Mind yours
My Mood: Sad
I do but I kinda wish I didn't lol. I've deleted all of mine apart from the stupid filter ones lol I don't mind those really. I feel like more people would have wanted to talk to me if they didn't know what I looked like (ugly) lol or at least I hoped they would. It's probably a good thing not to share a lot since people were stealing them and stuff

Some fake deep inspirational quote

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:20 PM
SAS Member

not for a long time. 8/9 yrs ago, i showed some people from this site a pic of me from the side and this other person my face from the front, but nothing ever since.

oh, i did post a pic of me when i was a toddler on here for, like, a hr or something. that was enough for me. i this was 4 yrs ago.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I just removed them because of this sites **** security etc. it makes me wonder if they are really deleted or if vertical scope keeps them for masturbatory material.

but yeah I've posted a few over the years. and I have photos on dating sites. I saw my ex's sister on tinder yesterday. lol. and my avatar is now me with a blurred filter.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Nope very rarely, here's the only online place I ever posted any & even that's pretty rare, security issues etc, what goes online can stay there forever.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:59 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I only rarely show my face, and only here. I think I've shared...maybe five recent pics of myself in all my time here (I've been active since 2012, so, five pics in seven years). One of them was me in a hospital bed so I tend not to count that one, so, more like four. And the first one I shared has gone missing somehow. I only kind of liked one of them...the rest are so awful. And go figure, the one that I kind of liked was the one a troll defaced (first he wrote, "Jesus loves you" and a couple of crosses on it--no clue why, I'm not Christian--then he wrote, "VIRGIN" on my forehead and scrawled tears coming from my eyes) and posted all over my page to humiliate me, so, there goes my good feeling about that.

(I have a few much older pics of myself posted in a place or two (including a childhood photo in my album here) but I was a lot thinner and younger then. Heh, one I posted on a writing site when I was in my twenties, I think, a guy commented on it to say I was "a bit of a Plain Jane." I got that comment again recently. Probably the most flattering thing I've been called by a guy, online or off.)

I've...had a lot of very bad experiences online, with stalking/harassing, with having family find a journal of mine, and with having my appearance insulted (even without posting a picture), so I find it best not to share, for the most part. I figure people from real life won't be much of a threat (they've shown next-to-no interest in looking me up, my journal was an issue that one time only because a relative happened to find an entry where I was complaining about them); for me, hiding my face is more about avoiding the insults or being turned into some kind of meme. Plus I just ****ing hate seeing my stupid ugly face staring back at me on the screen. I always have to hide it behind spoilers so I don't startle myself or anyone else. Can't wait until my most recent one is pushed off my main Imgur page.

Even if I had a full-length mirror, I'm never, ever going to post a full-body pic. Nope, nope, nope. Get enough mockery already. And I don't hate anyone enough to subject them to that.

Tl;dr, I haven't been anal about hiding my face, but I definitely don't go showing it off left and right, either. Can count my recent shares on one hand, all on this site. (Sorry, SAS.)

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
On here, I generally don't unless it's someone I trust.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:09 PM
Tired

Language: English
Vertical Scope can be trusted with any identifying information about as much as I can be trusted in front of a table full of lion bars.

Post your face on here and your house and bank accounts will be empty within the hour. An Helena will then visit you and patronisingly pat you on the shoulder and insist that although everything that has ever meant anything to you got stolen, there was definitely no security breach.

Last edited by SplendidBob; 03-28-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Changed snack to a better one.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:14 PM
SAS Member

i've shown it to a few people here and i regret it since they didn't deserve it. but i don't regret showing it to people who i now talk to off sas.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:25 PM
Half agony, half hope.

I've posted pictures in the past when I was younger & I'm not against it, but now that I'm a bit more aware it's more-so just a preference of privacy.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Of course no, not even on Halloween...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Powered By Moisture

My Mood: Relaxed
I have one pic on my profile but it is (usually) only visible to people on my friends list (unless something goes wrong and shows everything to anyone who randomly lands on my profile). But it is not a quality pic and doesn't actually look too much like me (IMO). I don't think anyone would actually recognize me from that pic unless they knew me very well. And there are not many people I actually know these days who have seen me in the last 20 years. So there might be 2 people on the planet who are actually internet capable who would recognize me even if they somehow saw it.

Everyone else I have ever known has either gotten old and died or hasn't seen me since I was in my 20s (or younger). I look nothing like I did when I was in my 20s. I'm still holding out small hope that my tendency for my appearance to change completely when I get older will cause me to somehow be old man handsome someday like happens sometimes when men who were never attractive become somehow handsome as they age.

However, I still don't really have much enthusiasm for sharing it with the world. I pretty much only put it up because there are a few people here who have been decent and cool with me and some of them have only shown their pics to a few people as well. I didn't think it was fair to have seen their pics and not show them mine.

From a personal security standpoint, though, it is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm aware of that. If I knew more people or actually wasn't prepared for the consequences of the few who do know me knowing everything I have posted here, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't enjoy them knowing but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin

"They flutter behind you your possible pasts
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost
A warning to anyone still in command
Of their possible future, to take care."
- Pink Floyd
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:41 PM
SAS Member

Yes

There was a time where I didn't, but the internet being what it is today, I've come to find it better that I dissassociate any informal outlets from the more professional ones.

As such, for me, it makes sense. Given the scandals that have happened here already, I'm confused as to why people still bother to put up their photos at all.

You can't trust the online world—you never could.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Paramecium brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
I do but I kinda wish I didn't lol. I've deleted all of mine apart from the stupid filter ones lol I don't mind those really. I feel like more people would have wanted to talk to me if they didn't know what I looked like (ugly) lol or at least I hoped they would. It's probably a good thing not to share a lot since people were stealing them and stuff

You're a handsome chap. And those makeup filter pics were pretty funny lol (not in a bad way of course).

post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Paramecium brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
I only rarely show my face, and only here. I think I've shared...maybe five recent pics of myself in all my time here (I've been active since 2012, so, five pics in seven years). One of them was me in a hospital bed so I tend not to count that one, so, more like four. And the first one I shared has gone missing somehow. I only kind of liked one of them...the rest are so awful. And go figure, the one that I kind of liked was the one a troll defaced (first he wrote, "Jesus loves you" and a couple of crosses on it--no clue why, I'm not Christian--then he wrote, "VIRGIN" on my forehead and scrawled tears coming from my eyes) and posted all over my page to humiliate me, so, there goes my good feeling about that.

(I have a few much older pics of myself posted in a place or two (including a childhood photo in my album here) but I was a lot thinner and younger then. Heh, one I posted on a writing site when I was in my twenties, I think, a guy commented on it to say I was "a bit of a Plain Jane." I got that comment again recently. Probably the most flattering thing I've been called by a guy, online or off.)

I've...had a lot of very bad experiences online, with stalking/harassing, with having family find a journal of mine, and with having my appearance insulted (even without posting a picture), so I find it best not to share, for the most part. I figure people from real life won't be much of a threat (they've shown next-to-no interest in looking me up, my journal was an issue that one time only because a relative happened to find an entry where I was complaining about them); for me, hiding my face is more about avoiding the insults or being turned into some kind of meme. Plus I just ****ing hate seeing my stupid ugly face staring back at me on the screen. I always have to hide it behind spoilers so I don't startle myself or anyone else. Can't wait until my most recent one is pushed off my main Imgur page.

Even if I had a full-length mirror, I'm never, ever going to post a full-body pic. Nope, nope, nope. Get enough mockery already. And I don't hate anyone enough to subject them to that.

Tl;dr, I haven't been anal about hiding my face, but I definitely don't go showing it off left and right, either. Can count my recent shares on one hand, all on this site. (Sorry, SAS.)

Wow that is really mean what happened to you, sorry to hear that. That's the sort of behavior I dread. I could easily imagine finding myself on one of those beta/cringe threads just by my appearance alone (overweight neckbeard).

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:55 PM
Benevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I don't generally share photos because I don't want to see memes of myself, I find self-portraits alienating, and because people are more likely to talk to me if they don't know what I look like.

Wishing she had a mindblowing GUI
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Language: sarcasm
I show my face occasionally. Usually I regret it and delete it though. I'm paranoid that someone will recognize me. My anxiety/insecurities for the most part don't involve my face. I'm not the prettiest girl out there but meh, it's a face.

I post myself occasionally because I hope it will make people realize I'm human or something and connect the words I wrote to a face. I don't really like the idea of being a faceless entity in people's minds.

I'm no pariah, but I'll try to pretend
I hope you'll keep your distance now and then...
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Descendant Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I’m not constantly taking selfies or anything but I’ve posted here on the odd occasion(though I believe I’ve deleted them all now). The only place I really post my pic is on Instagram, and on dating apps when I’m failing on them, and of course a few on Facebook too, though a lot of the ones on there have filters
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:48 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxslide View Post
I show my face occasionally. Usually I regret it and delete it though. I'm paranoid that someone will recognize me. My anxiety/insecurities for the most part don't involve my face. I'm not the prettiest girl out there but meh, it's a face.

I post myself occasionally because I hope it will make people realize I'm human or something and connect the words I wrote to a face. I don't really like the idea of being a faceless entity in people's minds.
I saw that video where you were playing that small guitar and I thought you looked very cute and attractive. Like a lot of people, you're too hard on yourself and pay too much attention to the small flaws, not seeing how good looking you actually are.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page