Do You Freeze Up In Public? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do You Freeze Up In Public?

I am rigid when I'm in public. I'm robotic.

I don't know how to go about normally. I worry how I come across.

I get nervous sitting in traffic because I feel like the person in the car behind me is looking at me. Or the people in the cars in the opposite direction are looking at me.

I don't know how to interact with servers normally. I come across as really weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:56 PM
bipolar

Sounds like your anxiety's pretty bad OP - that's terrible. I'm not sure what to say - but I wish I could help you.

I can get very anxious in some situations - it depends though. And not in traffic at all. In Sydney I think you've just got to give them the finger. (and then hope they don't have a firearm in the car)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholyscorpio View Post

I get nervous sitting in traffic because I feel like the person in the car behind me is looking at me. Or the people in the cars in the opposite direction are looking at me.

I don't know how to interact with servers normally. I come across as really weird.
Yeah, I used to take walks in my neighborhood/on the road outside of my neighborhood. I stopped cause my anxiety became unbearable. Worried about people in cars looking at me, worried about passersby looking at me, and I'd lose my sense of balance for some reason and start walking really weird as the cars passed by.

Life's Wack

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 02:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

FYI those people care more about themselves than they do you. Its the truth. Most probably don't even notice you, or probably completely disregard your existence. Sounds harsh but true. Just live your life. I guarantee strangers don't really care. I know I wouldn't. Maybe if I got to know you, otherwise, nope.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 02:46 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
I'm paranoid about my personal safety. I'm always looking over my shoulder to see if I'm being followed, and looking around to see if people are giving me stink-eye, which might mean trouble. I startle very easily, and get panic attacks in confined spaces with other people if I can't easily leave, like on a bus or in a public restroom (places where I've been harassed). I avoid crowds if at all possible because there are too many people to keep an eye on.

But as far as personal interactions go, like with salespeople, etc., I do okay. I can smile and chat with people a bit. I go out of my way to be friendly because I'm hoping they'll hate me less and be less likely to cause me trouble. But I obviously come across as being very weird because people usually aren't friendly back. They just get this sort of impatient/disgusted look and seem to try to get rid of me as soon as possible.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 07:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
Quote:
If I'm waiting at a red light I feel so uncomfortable with the person ahead of me waiting looking directly at me and you have to sit there for what feel like an eternity.

Sometimes when I'm shopping I get really nervous with people. I'll avoid aisles if there's someone standing next to something I need or I just get a feeling of being on high alert. I have never frozen in public but I get nervous in situations that really have no reason to be nervous in, I make myself look weird to people. I get a feeling of being stiff and my voice sounds off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 07:57 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
If you've got a bumper sticker that grabs people's attention then perhaps the person behind you will look at you. I was sitting behind someone yesterday and their sticker said, "You're not a Christian if you are not pro-life".

Also there was a time when I was stopped at a red light next to a car with a make and model that could be considered a rival to what I was driving. I looked straight ahead so as not to provoke any action on their part but I still felt myself smirking on the inside. In the GTA or Need For Speed universe a drag race would ensue. But my gamer self and real life self are two different beings so rather than stomp on the gas on green, I just drove like a well behaved citizen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Sometimes when I'm shopping I get really nervous with people. I'll avoid aisles if there's someone standing next to something I need
This happens a lot during rush hour - people will stand next to what I need when I enter the aisle. Depending on the person, they can take a LONG time to decide if honey nut cheerios is preferable to the plain ones. I just go on to the next item on my list and come back later.

With the pandemic things are made even more awkward because of the ground markings that tell you which direction to approach an aisle. Some people ignore the markings and if I don't pay attention it could possibly end up like a game of tackle football!

On a more positive note there are times when my viewing an item reminds another shopper that they too need that item. Was picking up the dish soap when a couple dashing by stopped and the lady said, "hey don't we need some of that?" I bet if I wasn't there they would have kept going, only to realize later what they had forgotten.

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 PM
bipolar

I was in a very different mood yesterday. I used to have terrible anxiety OP - just walking along in a mall I'd feel so self-conscious it was ridiculous. When people were walking towards me I'd have trouble negotiating them - worrying about which side to pass them on etc.

It's strange how that all just goes away when the anxiety goes down. That doesn't really happen much anymore. Plenty of other situations though where my anxiety will flare up. I tend to have a lot of anticipatory anxiety nowadays - if I'm actually doing anything that is or I have to deal with something out of the ordinary.

There are also many things I would never dream of talking about on a forum like this - even less so on this one really. I hope you're doing okay anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I know that people are not looking at me but that is what anxiety does.

People don't pay attention to others.

It does feel like eternity waiting in traffic!

I feel more anxious lately. I think it correlates with my low self-confidence.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page