Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

do you ever just get really really lonely?

12K views 79 replies 58 participants last post by  Velorrei 
#1 ·
normally i'm ok with being alone because i've gotten used to it. but then there are times when i see groups of people talking and laughing together and i just get hit with this wave of loneliness. and it totally sucks. i so want that but it's so hard to make friends. i don't have any issues talking to people in classes, but i don't know how to get from just talking in classes to hanging out outside it. like today, i just felt so alone in the world. it was such a horrible feeling. :( if you guys get like this, what do you do to snap out of it?

#2 ·
Actually. I don't care about being alone anymore. I'm well used to it. Sometimes it feels much better being alone since I don't feel comfortable being in public places such as school (I hate school!). I used to feel lonely when I see other teenagers busy communicating with each other happily but I've learned to ignore people. That kind of lonely feeling comes just when you see other people aren't lonely...so it might have something to do with jealousy. I used to try to talk as much as I could in class (to be like everyone else) but now I just don't care about people.

#7 ·
I don't feel lonely really, but sometimes I become aware that I am by myself and wonder what is it all for if there is no one else there to share thoughts with. This just leads to feeling down so I tend not think about it. I am one of those people that has to be alone a lot anyway and being by myself doesn't feel abnormal. I wouldn't mind the option of occasionally having someone there.

#8 ·
I don't only get lonely when I'm at school and see others talking and laughing together, I get this strong jealous feeling. I know I deserve what they have but I can't seem to make it happen, and it's not fair.

Then later on that day it usually turns into depression =/
Sometimes it's hard, other times it's manageable, sometimes it doesn't even bother me at all. It depends on the day.

#12 ·
The Power of Negative Thinking
by Remez Sasson

For some reason, most people find it easier to think in a negative way than in a positive manner. It seems that some effort is needed to think positive thoughts, whereas negative thinking comes easily and uninvited. This has much to do with education and the environment one has been living in.

In order to understand how positive thinking works, and how to use it efficiently, it is important to understand the power of negative thinking.

If you have been brought up in a happy and positive atmosphere, where people value success and self-improvement, then it will be easier for you to think positively and expect success. If you have been brought up under poor or difficult situations, you will probably go on expecting difficulties and failure.

From an early age, people let outside influences shape their minds. They view everything through their predominant mental attitude. If their thoughts are positive, that is fine, but if they are negative, their lives and circumstances will probably mirror these thoughts.

If you believe that you are going to fail, you will unconsciously sabotage every opportunity to succeed. If you are afraid of meeting new people or having close relationships, you will do everything to avoid people and relationships, and then complain that you are lonely and nobody loves you.

Do you often think about difficulties, failure and disasters? Do you keep thinking about the negative news you have seen on the TV or read in the newspapers?

Do you see yourself stuck and unable to improve your life or your health? Do you frequently think that you do not deserve happiness or money, or that it is too difficult to get them? If you do, then you will close your mind, see no opportunities, and behave and react in such ways, as to repel people and opportunities. You let the power of negative thinking rule your life.

The mind does not usually judge or examine thoughts and opinions before accepting them. If what it hears, sees and reads is always negative, it accepts this as the standard way of thinking and behavior.

The media constantly bombards the mind with a lot of information about disasters, catastrophes, wars and other negative happenings. This information sinks into the subconscious mind, and let the power of negative thinking grow. By occupying the mind with negative thoughts and expectations one radiate negative energy into the surrounding world, thus creating and recreating more negativity, failures and disasters.

The mind can be directed towards positive thinking or negative thinking. The power of thoughts is a neutral power. The way one thinks determines whether the results are positive and beneficial or negative and harmful. It is the same of energy acting in different ways.

Persistent inner work can change habits of thoughts. You must be willing to put energy and time to avoid negative thinking and pursue positive thinking, in order to change your mental attitude.

Every time you catch yourself thinking a negative thought, change it into a positive one.
If you catch yourself visualizing failure, switch to visualizing success.
If you hear yourself repeating negative words, switch to positive ones.
If you hear yourself saying, "I cannot", say to yourself, "I can".
Do you repeat useless and unnecessary negative words and phrases in your mind? Change them to positive ones.

Open your mind to positive attitude, happenings and events. Expect them and think about them, and soon you life will change for the better.

Decide that from today, from this very moment, you are leaving negative thinking behind, and starting on the way towards positive thinking and behavior. It is never too late. Soon your life will turn into a fascinating, wonderful journey.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Important!
If you wish to publish the article:
1. Include the resource box below.
2. The links in the resource box below should be active/linkable!
3. No payment is to be charged for this article!

Please include the following lines at the end of each article.

© Copyright Remez Sasson

Remez Sasson teaches and writes on positive thinking, creative visualization, motivation, self-improvement, peace of mind, spiritual growth and meditation. He is the author of several books, among which are "Peace of mind in Daily Life", "Will Power and Self Discipline", "Visualize and Achieve" and "Affirmations - Words of Power".

Visit his website and find articles and books filled with inspiration, motivation and practical advice and guidance.
Books: http://www.successconsciousness.com/ebo ... _books.htm

#15 ·
I've been feeling lonely for the past month. Just gives me this desperate feeling that im in need of friends, but is easier said than done. I know how it feels, you go into a public places and you see people in groups laughing. what i get from these scenes is jelousy and...loneliness when i become aware of my loneliness..

#19 ·
Tonight I had to go out to the pharmacy to get my effexor. I wish I had done it during the day but I was sleeping and sick so I had to end up going out at night on a weekend. I see happy pretty couples giggling together, groups of laughing socialites, the occasional sole but earnest nightgoer looking forward to meeting up with someone that night...but me, I am just going to the pharmacy...to pick up my consolation drugs for not having anything to be happy about.

#22 ·
Yeah, definitely. I have a major jealous streak anyways, but, for example, when I'm at school I see people laughing, having a grand old time, and I feel like I will never be that happy. It seems like they don't have a care in the world, and here I am, depressed, scared, and lonely. It's just not fair.

The thing is, I don't particularly love being around people, even my close friends, for a long time. I need alone time. So I guess I don't really care if I'm truly alone, just relaxing or whatever, but when I'm alone in a crowd, if you get my meaning, then I'm hurting. Lately it hasn't been as bad for me. I've just started to care less about what everyone else thinks. Plus, suffering builds good character! :) I can't wait until I'm out of the hell they call high school...

#23 ·
Last night I was sitting, aimlessly sufring around the net and I got struck with an accute sense of being by myself. I looked around the room and everything felt strange like I was in a dream.

Do you really exist if you are the only witness to your actions and thought?

#24 ·
Lonely, yes, terribly so. It would be nice to be in a social environment again. I wouldn't even mind being in school. Just to see people interact would be better than being so completely alone.

#26 ·
Perversely, the more contact I have with people the more pain (pain sounds too dramatic, let's say discomfort) I feel about being alone. It's like interaction is a drug and I suffer withdrawl. Until I started trying to find people to talk to, I never felt lonely. "Why did I start looking for people then?", you may ask, well I found this site and discovered about SA and all that stuff and through that started talking to people.

It's all or nothing and in between is not nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.