Do strangers strike up conversation with you? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Often, then they quickly turn away and start ignoring/ being passive aggressive towards me because my reaction to them didn't please their ego.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:16 AM
SAS Member

Yeah I'd say a lot of them do. Sometimes it will be cause I'm wearing a shirt with a pop culture reference so I think wearing your interests can help you meet people. But sometimes I meet people through having to initiate conversation. Sometimes I initiate small talk but it never leads to much unless we have similar interests. I met 2 strangers at a con once but I already knew we had similar interests so it helps to go to things like that. And ask questions cause people love talking about themselves, but yes I get what you mean. At school I don't get approached hardly ever, I'm the one that has to start everything and I feel like that's not going so good for me. I'd love to be better at knowing what to say, but I'm past the point of just wanting people to talk to, I'm a bit more selective now
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:48 PM
(J)joke(pj)partjoke(s)sar

Nope. not very often.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Rookie

Language: None
My Mood: Sleepy
People approach me, but I don't really engage them in conversation. It's not for lack of wanting to! I suck at making conversation which is why I never initiate it myself
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 PM
lagrimas negras

Not much. The few times a stranger approach me they seem to quickly regret it. I always try to be friendly but it's like they can sense that I'm uncomfortable so that probably makes them feel uncomfortable so they just walk away. Which is fine with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:13 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
No. Then again, I don't attend a job or school...or just go out and sit somewhere. Anytime I am out, there isn't anyone coming up to me to for a chat, no. I know why, but knowing doesn't help alleviate any disappointment resulting from being snubbed. :\

I don't care if it's dangerous or not...I'm going to town either way.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:40 PM
SAS Member

Language: Non-Verbal communication
When they need something, directions, money or those sales people in the malls...

I mean I don't mind that much but I'm more interested in the psychology behind it, like why me? There's 1928231 people around and you wait for me to walk past to ask for directions .___. do I look the most passive and non-threatening?

With the product/sales people I used to be naive and really thought they meant their compliments towards me lmao, I was such a child I used to think what people said to me they meant, I mean I knew about lying/deception but I just never thought it happened with malice/ill intent/manipulation for some reason until it kept on happening to me repeatedly.

I don't wanna exist
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 AM
SAS Member

Sometimes yeah but it's mostly customers at work. I seem to draw the talkative ones. I dont mind it, I admit after speaking to people I generally feel better and it lifts my mood but theres times my anxiety starts and Im standing there feeling like an idiot forgetting how to converse.

So come rain on my parade
'Cause I want to feel it
Come shove me over the edge
'Cause my head is in overdrive
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:04 PM
SAS Member

Language: Anglais
Yes, mainly old people. Friendly chatter.

Our hopes and expectations. Black holes and revelations.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:00 PM
loser

No I don't look very approachable , this is also the way I like it. I don't have anything to say anyway plus conversations tend to get private after a while and my private life is embarrassing so I rather not want people to know about it.
I wouldn't mind a talk if I felt good about my private life
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 AM
SAS Member

Generally in the North East of England people have a reputation of being friendly. The issue is it's very limited and structured and if I don't totally gel with the choreography of normality I feel like a moron.
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbliss View Post
Iím in a transitional part of my life where over one month ago I left a job. I have not had the motivation, confidence or emotional wellness to try to find work again. I did have an opportunity to interview for one job that I applied for a few weeks ago but changed my mind and did not go because at that point it had been weeks since I had human interaction and did not want my first interaction to be in a job interview.

My question is whether it is typical for everyday people you encounter outside to never try initiate a conversation with you? Or is it just something about me? People usually meet other people through work or school, but do people ever meet friends just going about their day? The only people that interact with me are ones that ask for directions or money. I feel like I notice everyone around me but I am invisible to them unless they need something from me, or if I am in their way.

I donít hide out in my room and spend a good amount of time out in the city. Parks, libraries, coffee shops, malls, farmers markets, commercial districts... Yet months can pass and I donít meet anyone. Going to a meet-up is something Iíve considered to break the isolation but it would be too uncomfortable.

Is it up to me to approach people if I want to break the isolation?

Even though I am self conscious when interacting, I am not closed off and do try to emit a pleasant energy to people. I guess Iím just trying to confirm that thereís something different about me which people donít want to interact with and that normal people regularly meet and interact with other people all the time.
Being invisible to strangers, isn't that a good thing? I don't mind it although I don't fear interaction with strangers anymore like I used to.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM
SAS Member

Language: English.
My Mood: Sad
Sometimes when I walk to the shop, or go to work. I do get a 'Hello' from strangers in my new neighbourhood, where as in my previous neighbourhood they didn't say 'Hello' or anything like that - I guess it's kinda nice and weird at the same time lol.

No happiness, in the world i walk.
No life, in the eyes of grief.
Lost and rejected...
Determent,...
To life...

Hear my suffering screams.
When i feel these tears of pain.
Hear my voice in the night.
When i desire, the most for my end.

Tearfull nights...
I live in Sorrow...
Tearfull thoughts...
It will never change...
A tearfull soul...
To my end...
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Harvester of Sorrow

Language: English, Broken Cantonese, Spanish Curse words, few words of Mandarin
My Mood: Lonely
Only time that happens to me is if I'm standing in line at a store. Otherwise I don't have that happen often. Honestly this is one of the more baffling things some people do.

"There's a fine line between the peacefulness of solitude and the loneliness of isolation."
- Dr. Hill, Until Dawn
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
After moving to a new place, I've had it happen more often. Most of the time it's friendly, but people here can be viciously passive aggressive and think you're trying to spite them when you're not.. It's hard to ignore sometimes.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:11 AM
In Liquidation

More often than I like. Especially since I frequent areas with lots of mentally unstable and ill drug addicts a lot.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:50 AM
You tell me

To some degree yes? I think I look approachable. But also because I tend to sit in public places for long periods of time.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 AM
SAS Member

Sometimes.

I think the weirdest ones were in two different cities; one person at the bus stop, other person on the stationery counter randomly asked me where I was from? I actually answered the questions and the conversations ended. They made me feel very uncomfortable.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 AM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
Old people absolutely loves me. I look kind and they think I am a good target to talk with. They don't know that under my sweet cover I have strong and very unpopular opinions .

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page