Do people assume you're smart? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Innocent
Question

Do people assume you're smart?

I'm asking this because apparently people from my area think I'm some sort of eccentric genius.

I've been talking to my mother after returning home from uni and she says that people that she didn't even know somehow know my name and asked her how I'm doing after she introduced herself. Also later on I've also talked to people I've hardly known before, and they treated me with a lot of respect I didn't think was warranted.

I find it very weird that my name is regionally known, and I'm not sure why people around here assume that I'm that smart. I mean sure I've had my share of accomplishments that others didn't, but people still think I'm starter than I feel I really am.

So I'm curious, does anyone else have any experiences similar to mine? Of people putting you on a pedestal you don't think you deserve to be put on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:24 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
I don't know about having my name going around like that but people do tell me that I'm very intelligent. I hate when people say that because I don't think so.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Permanently Banned

I think normies believe that being quiet = genius.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:34 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I feel like people either think I'm really smart or really stupid. It's like they know I must be different from them because I rarely speak in their presence, but they have to fill in the blank as to what that difference is. I've had people talk down to me like I'm a child and remind me of really obvious things that I already knew; and I've also had people act, like you said, as if I was really smart and just holding back all these crazy smart thoughts I was having because I was too lacking in social skills to voice them. I'm not very good at being objective about myself either, but I would guess that my level of intelligence is pretty close to average.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." - John 3:16
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
EMM .... For me .. yes. This is something I have discovered in the past. Like at colleges and places like that LOL.

thing is .I am not a geeky or nerdy sorta book smarts sorta smart person . AND I dont come across or even look geeky

I am just an intelligent person with a very wide knowledge of a lot of stuff and maybe its the way I speak.
Sometimes I have said something which I thought was maybe ''run of the mill'' and didnt think much of it ... but it left some people with like a surprised or impressed look on their face or whatever. And people seemed to respect it etc.... Enjoyable feeling .

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear.
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 AM
electric

Sometimes. There's no reason to think they aren't right to some extent, but there's also no reason to take it as anything more than a the person's pleasure in making a compliment or being respectful or having some fun with you if you react to it or some combination of these or other things. Yet it still makes me cringe if someone voices an opinion like that and it makes me feel like a social failure. I'm glad to be surrounded by very smart people who don't make comments like that about me.

We are the drop, the wave, and the tide.
|ᓴ\___/ᓱ|
╰☆╮╭☆╯
 ⋱/⍚\⋰ 
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Worried
No, actually, people who meet me seem to think I'm an idiot.

They're kinda right though
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Loser

Yeah, I've had that problem a lot. Not really sure if I can classify it as a problem, really, but something that has happened multiple times.

It kind of makes me feel good that others think so highly of me, but it also puts a lot of pressure on me... personally, I don't think I'm very intelligent. I'm always afraid of disappointing people for not meeting their high expectations...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Permanently Banned

I'm very smart, but I'm not a genius or anything. My family and my old friends were not though, so they tended to think of me as a genius, and they would get surprised and mad at me when I didn't know things or was wrong about things. There have been times I've even been accused of being unhelpful, rude, or intentionally misleading because the possibility that maybe I just don't know never occurred to them.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
I am average!

YES. I have that one friend that calls me smart all the time and it's super annoying.

I am telling him I am learning the Piano, and he tells me smart people plays the Piano.

The teacher said that smart people like to work alone, and he told me I like to work alone, and say I am smart.

Even in the class room the teacher (Going to College) said "If you can see that answer so quickly we might have to test you in something different but if we tested everyone in that then there would be too many failures".

Yes, I can understand things quickly, but in the end it's 12 hours work everyday. That's the secret to being "smart".

If everyone worked 12 hours a day like me, we'd all be super smart.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:44 AM
◔_◔

If I'm wearing glasses.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:04 PM
BAC
SAS Member

My Mood: Daring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jene View Post
I feel like people either think I'm really smart or really stupid. It's like they know I must be different from them because I rarely speak in their presence, but they have to fill in the blank as to what that difference is. I've had people talk down to me like I'm a child and remind me of really obvious things that I already knew; and I've also had people act, like you said, as if I was really smart and just holding back all these crazy smart thoughts I was having because I was too lacking in social skills to voice them. I'm not very good at being objective about myself either, but I would guess that my level of intelligence is pretty close to average.
^ 100% this.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCod View Post
Yup, a classmate once told me that I'm smart, even though we'd never talked before, and I'm quiet and wear glasses
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 04:41 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
i got this a'lot when i was in school. it couldn't be further from the truth lol
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: English
People assumed that I'm mentally slow, mentally ill, boring, lazy, and think they know everything about me, and how my mind works.

Quote:
I know you're scared to work with people, because you never interact with people.

You think you know everything, if you know everything you wouldn't be jobless, and stuck in this predicament.

You never have anything interesting to say, it's always the same talk with you. I have never seen a big grown boy, or other kids in my life who acts like you.

You wasn't born perfect, this world isn't perfect, you're slow, and it's going to always be like that for you.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing citizens 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yep.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Yep. It doesn't help that I wore glasses when I was a kid and that I'm half-Asian.

I always got very good grades in school but I don't think it was because I'm naturally intelligent. It's just that not having friends meant that I had a lot of time to study.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:05 PM
SAS Member

Maybe you just don't realize how smart you are yet! Even if you aren't "naturally" intelligent, doesn't mean you can't hold intellectual conversations or discuss/ponder in-depth topics!
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 PM
SAS Member

I think everyone is smart in their own way. Have various bits of knowledge and experience gathered from their lives. Potential is there, so if you ever exihibit any signs of knowledge that another person might not have or demonstrate something that they hadn't thought of -- they make comments such as "Wow, that's really smart!" I do that all the time, at least. I am fascinated by the way other people think.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM
[insert witty title here]

My family thinks I'm smart but that's only by comparison I think because I'm the only person in the house who can do "super complicated stuff" like move a HDMI cord from one device to another or setup a router or something.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page