did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy not work for you? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy not work for you?

If it didn't work, can you please explain why, in your opinion, it did not work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Soarin!

I think that most people on here whom it doesnt work for just haven't put into as much work into it as they could have.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
The thing with CBT is that it requires A LOT of perseverance and hard work on your end to get the most out of it and make it work. Unfortunately for most people they seem to fall out of doing this and get lazy or do the old "it's not working" and give up before they give it the chance it deserves.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Transparent

It didn't cure me, but it certainly helped. I care less about what people think about me, and I don't beat myself up as much when I make mistakes. My advice is that you stick with it. It's difficult at first, but questioning your negative thoughts can become second nature if you persevere.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasure View Post
It didn't cure me, but it certainly helped. I care less about what people think about me, and I don't beat myself up as much when I make mistakes. My advice is that you stick with it. It's difficult at first, but questioning your negative thoughts can become second nature if you persevere.

I echo that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
SAS Member

I tried CBT, but only by using self-help books. My social anxiety kept me from seeking professional help. My problem with CBT was that when I was in the anxious moment, it was hard for me to counteract my brain with positive or more appropriate messages. Perhaps my brain was flooding too many messages at me, and I always needed to walk away from the situation, then was able to redirect my thoughts.

For me, I eventually hit a wall, could not cope on my own, and turned to a higher power. I think by my use of the higher power, is like CBT, but easier (for me).

I do feel CBT is what is needed for socially anxious people, it boils down to retraining our brains to not attack us. CBT is definitely a good place to start, and as people have said, it definitely takes dedication and committment. And it may help if you use a professional (I didn't, maybe that was my problem).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page