Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Depersonalization

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Crimson 
#1 ·
Does anyone else get this?

From wiki:
"A sufferer feels that he or she has changed and the world has become less real, vague, dreamlike, or lacking in significance. It can sometimes be a rather disturbing experience, since many feel that, indeed, they are living in a "dream"."

I describe it as "Looking at yourself in the world from a glass box in your head". I seem to get it more as anxiety rises. Or.. other times when its not anxiety. Its constant but mild at school (usually).

The strongest I ever felt it was in a recent sexual 'encounter'. Ill avoid specifics, but, there was no feeling. At all. Making coffee would be more appealing.. and this was an act that should have been rather enjoyable. It was like watching another person.

It doesn't really bother me to much, but it seems to make me rather unaware of whats happening around me. I read in a previous thread about a guy who was afraid to drive because he thought he would be to unobservant, and I can understand completely. So, does anyone else get this?

#2 ·
Yeah, I get depersonalization a lot...it sucks. Most of the time, I feel like I'm above my body, looking down on it. like, i see my arms, and hands and things, but i feel like i'm not necessarily controlling them. like i'm just observing. Also, I do experience the dreamlike state a lot too, it coincides with the feeling of not being in my body. Like, I can walk around for hours and feel like none of the things I'm experiencing are real, like it's all just a dream. Also, i feel very numb throughout a lot of this...i noticed it worsened when i was put on Effexor, and now that I am being taken off of it. When i get super stressed out it happens too. :S

#5 ·
It's a strange feeling. When it happens, it usually lasts a few seconds at a time. I tried explaining the feeling to somebody once, but they didn't understand because I couldn't really explain it very well. It's like an out of body experience. I had to reply to this post because I found it fascinating that someone else also experienced this. I know exactly the feeling you're talking about, very weird indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.