daydreaming - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Red face

daydreaming

Hello all,
I'm new here and wanted to get y'alls opinions on daydreaming. I'm a freshman in college right now,and I constantly find myself daydreaming, whether it be at home or in class. I've always been a big daydreamer, but isn't this a bit excessive? I also tend to daydream about things that most likely won't happen, or are not very realistic. ie: going to the same university as someone I like, etc. I know excessive daydreaming can be a form of escapism, but what should i do about this? I will admit, I did not have the best of childhoods, (I was/am very sheltered, and am just now getting out into the social world... still live with parents, so it's hard to get out) but is this something i should worry about? I mean sometimes, it takes such a long time just to do a 6 problem math worksheet just because i'm too busy daydreaming...I also have the hardest times focusing. I may be ADD, but never got tested, I don't like to rely on medication... anyways, what do y'all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
SAS Member

i dont see a problem with day dreaming at all. i know i do, and often. but you should also make sure you're getting done what needs to get done.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Neue Nihilist

I daydream on a regular basis. When I'm alone I actually act out my daydreams. And I'm probably younger than you!

It's all about escapism and occupying my understimulated mind. I think it's a symptom of the fact that I'm not at all satisfied with my life!

Open up, it's the FBI Police! I'm Special Agent Detective Sargent Doctor Trenchcoat, and this is my partner The Right Honorable Professor Judge Captain Snake!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
SAS Member

excessive daydreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi226 View Post
Hello all,
I'm new here and wanted to get y'alls opinions on daydreaming. I'm a freshman in college right now,and I constantly find myself daydreaming, whether it be at home or in class. I've always been a big daydreamer, but isn't this a bit excessive? I also tend to daydream about things that most likely won't happen, or are not very realistic. ie: going to the same university as someone I like, etc. I know excessive daydreaming can be a form of escapism, but what should i do about this? I will admit, I did not have the best of childhoods, (I was/am very sheltered, and am just now getting out into the social world... still live with parents, so it's hard to get out) but is this something i should worry about? I mean sometimes, it takes such a long time just to do a 6 problem math worksheet just because i'm too busy daydreaming...I also have the hardest times focusing. I may be ADD, but never got tested, I don't like to rely on medication... anyways, what do y'all think?
I have a friend that is like that and someone suggested that she try neurobiofeedback. Try and look into "Dynamic mental fitness program"
I heard it is good at getting people to focus and concentrate. "Cogmed" is another program you may wanna try.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 AM
SAS Member

Daydreaming usually gets worse and worse
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Permanently Banned

many people who haven't had very healthy childhoods go to the "magic place" or as i like to call it "fantasy island"..

it's not a bad place to go, but also keeping it perspective seems healthy enough. it's like anything else in life, i guess, if it's too excessive? well, it makes dealing with the "Real World" a lot harder. to the point of the "Real World" becoming a "jarring annoyance"..

one thing has helped me is just to "put off" daydreaming to deal with "first things first".. it's just another way of disciplining your mind to know when to play and when to get down to business.

Hey good luck, OP..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Frustration in my blood.

I dated someone that was the same way, she would even start daydreaming in the middle of conversation, she didn't like her situation at home and was actually only dating me to try cope with her un-returned for a close friend in her previous school.

It was purely escapism, but it was rampant.

I often daydream about people I like as well, I think that's normal, but she would day dream about anything relieving the emotion she felt in the moment. If I was to upset her, she's daydream out killing/beating me up and things like that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

Nothing is particularly wrong with daydreaming. It's a good form of stress relief. However, I think it's best if you realize why you are daydreaming? Perhaps you aren't happy with your current life? So imo I think it would be best to work on things to make daydreams more of a reality so you find yourself happier in the present moment.

Hope that helps!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
SAS Member

I've been daydreaming for as long as I can remember, but things really escalated when I became a teenager and realized what a weirdo I was in the midst of my peers. It was my escape to use my imagination and run for awhile.
I think daydreaming is mentally stimulating and adds to one's creativity, but I do find some validity in it clashing with life in the "real world".
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
SAS Member

I've always been fond of daydreaming, especially when I was a kid.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
I daydream on a regular basis. When I'm alone I actually act out my daydreams. And I'm probably younger than you!

It's all about escapism and occupying my understimulated mind. I think it's a symptom of the fact that I'm not at all satisfied with my life!
I never thought that understimulation of the mind could lead to daydreaming. I always daydream all day at work and when at home unless I'm doing something. I need something real in this world to occupy my otherwise empty mind.

When you feel vulnerable and your psychological defenses are failing the best defense mechanism is to be more trusting.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

I've always found myself in a very similar situation.... Unfortunately in my case, daydreams were mostly like nightmares.... they were not beautiful at all!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 PM
bird

My Mood: Dead
I'm like this.

I create my own world, with my own characters that I have adapted to.

i'm no savior of yours
and you're no friend of mine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page