DAE Get Flashbacks That Make Them Socially Anxious? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Question

DAE Get Flashbacks That Make Them Socially Anxious?

Everyday, I am plagued by flashbacks of things that I did that were stupid and still make me feel socially anxious thinking about them. I.e a remark that didn't go down well, being a drunken fool, or doing something stupid in public.

I get these flashbacks everyday usually when nothing is occupying my mind.

I really hate it, and it makes me cringe and tense up inside.

Even though I know these are memories, and the people involved will have forgotten I still get het up in them.

Does anyone else know what I mean and has this happen to them also?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Recurring intrusive memories, yeah. I know what you mean. I also have some attached to specific words or other memories. Time and seclusion have helped a lot with the random unwarranted ones.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 02:30 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Tired
Oh yeah, every day. If anyone ever listened to me talking to myself they'd think I was so weird because of how many times times I tell myself (my mind) to shut up.

A person's a person no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
I wish I could get rid of these flashbacks. I do grounding techniques (count 5 things you see in the room) to get me back in the present, but it still goes on everyday.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 04:34 PM
Failure's Art

Yes I get these all the time though not daily. I still think about stupid **** I did or said in high school for cripes sake. I often feel embarrassed for myself. I've also tried the grounding thing (for anxiety generally not specifically for flashbacks) but it never really worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
Oh yeah, every day. If anyone ever listened to me talking to myself they'd think I was so weird because of how many times times I tell myself (my mind) to shut up.

hah I can relate, I'm constantly telling my brain to shut the hell up

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 07:21 PM
SAS Member

I don't think that I've gotten over a single stupid thing I've done. Flashbacks ruin me, I have to focus really hard to avoid having flash backs long enough to get work done.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2021, 01:36 AM
drifting in mist

Yes it makes me feel like plunging a knife into my stomach.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2021, 02:38 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Oh I have lots of cringey memories from my childhood. My parents didn't teach me manners and so I had to learn everything the hard way. And I guess I had a natural tendency to just say what I was thinking and sometimes it came out in strange ways. For example, I told one guy I really liked his ears. Which pissed him off severely. I seriously did not mean it in a bad way and thought I was complimenting him. That was not my finest moment and there were many others like it.

/WYSD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2021, 02:44 AM
bipolar

I don't think I get actual flashbacks but many of the things I've done in the past bother me - sometimes much more than others. More to do with things I did when I was manic though, not with anxiety. I worry that it might happen again.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2021, 03:20 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Cheerful
@Cool Ice Dude55

It is not constant, but I know the feeling. Usually, for a few days after an incident I will have flashbacks that will leave me sweating and breathing heavy.. sometimes out of the blue, I will remember something that could have happened years ago and have a panic attack. It sucks that you experience that kind of hell on a daily basis, I hate it when it happens to me and it is much more rare.

(つ 𓎟)つ┳━┳
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 01:06 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Devilish
Yeah, there are memories from years ago, which when they pop in my head, just fill me up with shame. Even if I won't ever see the people in front of which I embarrassed myself again.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2021, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

Oh my goodness yes. All my embarrassing outbursts, when I said something inappropriate or stupid, or just messed up royally! I relive it all everyday. I don't know how to stop it either 😕
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2021, 04:35 PM
customusertitle

yeah, but I've become very good at shutting off any memory I don't want to think about. It's unhealthy but it happens automatically with memories I don't like. I think I've gotten really good at ignoring memories ever since I started dealing with trauma related flashbacks because they felt more intrusive and threatening than SA ones and I just had to learn ways to shut them out or I would've killed myself otherwise.

the truth may vary
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah I have similar stuff often. I end up yelling inside my brain for the thoughts to get out so it doesn't last long. I don't get as many about older stuff years ago anymore though. It will mostly be fairly recent or just unwanted thoughts in general that I constantly try to shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 02:35 AM
SAS Member

My therapist always tells me to remember that unpleasant memories of awkward experiences likely only exist in my mind and nobody else's, since they probably meant nothing to anyone who wasn't me and so weren't given a second thought. It's easier said than done though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page