Coping with Stress - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Coping with Stress

I've been doing really well lately. After, I don't know, 4 years? of almost completely isolating myself I was sort of forced to come out of my shell and it turns out, it isn't so bad. In fact, many good things have come out of it.

Here's the thing though, stress tends to trigger all sorts of craziness in me (pretty much complete mayhem, panic etc). After having a pretty good day yesterday I came home to find out that my sister has been diagnosed with cancer (I knew this was a possibility, even had a dream about it last week but had convinced myself that my worries were just part of my general craziness). This is a legitimately anxiety producing and stressful occurrence and I'm not sure I can handle it right now.

Anyone have any tips on how to handle stress (or just want to talk me down from my rapidly spiraling out of control thoughts?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 AM

re: Coping with Stress

You can learn breathing techniques when a certain situation arises. You can breath however you want, as long as you are using your stomach, not your chest. I like to breath in through the nose for 3 seconds, hold for 5, and exhale through the mouth for 3. I think it's called the 3-5-3 technique, but I may have the numbers wrong. Are you diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder or SA?, since what you describe sounds way more like GA.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

re: Coping with Stress

Interesting question. No, I've never been diagnosed with generalized anxiety. Although to be honest, I only talk to the therapist about the social symptoms. On the other hand, my stress usually tends to center around social situations anyway (having to approach people for work, having to give presentations, go to conferences).

The thing with my sister worries me because (a) I am just legitimately worried about her and (b) it is quite reminiscent of the thing that triggered the first episode of isolation I went through (something like 15 years ago) which was when my mom got really sick and I didn't go visit her in the hospital or talk to anyone for about 8 months.

I've been wanting to take up meditation. I think I'm going to try it. This is going to be OK.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page