Convince me to see a psychiatrist - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Convince me to see a psychiatrist

I feel very conflicted. I know I need help, but at the same time a part of me doesn't want to see a psychiatrist. Im not sure if its pride or embarrassment. I found out my college has psychiatrists I can go see. I have horrible social anxiety, no social life because of it, depression problems because of my lack of social life or even academic accomplishments. My depression led me to have my worst semester last semester, which was supposed to be my last of college. Made a D a C and a C- I was right above a 3.0 now im right below with a 2.9. Now im taking summer classes and my depression was getting better since I was working out, but i failed my first test 40 points below average. The final was going to replace it and I studied my *** off but im scared I failed it and subsequently might fail the class. Im starting to feel very dumb as I would be in the bottom 1% of my class. Best case is barely passing with a C. I think I have ADD and my SA is making it worse. I could never pay attention in class.

My life is constantly getting worse and worse, so i know i need help, but the thought of having to get help makes me feel even worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Gone, Never Coming Back

Go see a psychiatrist.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
:/

It seems like you know that you should go. You just have to make the first attempt to setup an appointment. We'll drag you there if we have to! :P

You sound like how I was at school. Learning anything was difficult: I was constantly stressed about my grades, even though many times they weren't as bad as they seemed. I wasn't able to pay attention in class, and once I was out of class I was completely exhausted from the adrenaline rush/anxiety. Because of this, I'd often skip classes.

At that time, my anxiety/depression was pretty severe and had been with me for around 10 years. Once in therapy, I eventually realized it wasn't going to find me a cure. It was more like getting some support, having someone to talk to, getting prescription meds which might ease the pain.

Your experience with therapy might vary, so don't let me discourage you from going. I've simply never found it come up with any answers or solutions to my problems. It still is nice having someone to talk to, so no matter what I'd always go.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM
All Kinds of Awesome

I'm not particularly keen on your title, 'convince me to see a psychiatrist'. Why? Well, to me it comes off like you're trying to pass the buck onto someone else instead of dealing with it responsibly. Don't get me wrong, I understand how uncomfortable it all can be and it is often difficult to navigate through the mess that is the mental health-care system, BUT this is a conclusion that you need to come to on your own because the effort will primarily be yours.

Anyways, if you aren't already familiar, there are psychiatrists, counselors and psychologists. All are bound to nondisclosure agreements. Psychiatrists can prescribe medication while MOST psychologists cannot. Psychiatrists are M.D.s, while psychologists are usually Ph.Ds. I've personally found psychologists to be better suited for therapy-- that's what they do and their solutions are not drug-based. Drugs are helpful, when you need them, but for something like SA it's only part of the equation. If I had to measure how much meds helped me I would say 1/5th-1/3rd, which is nothing to scoff at.

Be prepared to do a lot of work and expect to come across some hard truths. Be prepared to have some difficult days. Be prepared to feel vulnerable so that you can really think deeply about what is causing you misery. Skeptics of therapy look at it and see patients as suckers or chumps b/c the results are not concrete and it's not 'measurable' in the scientific sense. Even though most of us can look to teachers and mentors and accept how much they have changed our lives. Going through therapy is just a different form of education. There are a lot of good people out there.

"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it." --Mark Twain
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Freedom is lurking

Just do it, don't think. What have you got to lose? Better yet, can your life get any worse by going to a psychiatrist / psychotherapist?

I recommend the latter instead of the former, by the way. Unless you find a good one, psychiatrists may simply throw drugs at you.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
SAS Member

Go, go go! Trust me, if your school offers it, take advantage! I'm kicking myself for not taking advantage of resources that we actually paid for back when i was in college. That's right, it's comes out of tuition, so you might as well use it.

Also, don't put so much pressure on yourself. Maybe think of it as if it's just one appointment, to vent, talk things out, get his/her perspective, and that's it. Maybe at the end you'll feel better. Maybe you'll feel like taking meds, maybe you won't. But at least you have a clearer understanding of how to remedy your problems based on a professional's advice. It's totally okay to ask for help sometimes. Keep your head up
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 PM
SAS Member

Dude, that's like telling someone to go to rehab. YOU have to want to go. And posts of encouragement isn't gonna do it for you. Take it step by step and slow if you have to. Step 1: look up docs in your area, step 2: call one, etc
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:43 AM
xyxy

I'll give you a cookie if you see a psychiatrist
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 AM
SAS Member

A good professional can see you in a way you can't see yourself. If they can convey the right messages to you, it can be really helpfull

'A 'Leadership' elected by popular vote is not a leadership but the rule of the average, the mediocre.
Real leaders are pioneers. They go ahead, in front, on the basis of understanding and inner convictions, even if they have to go alone.'
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:55 AM
SAS Member

Go and get yourself some ****ing pills; WE BOTH KNOW YOU WANT EM!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Ok made the appointment. Im very nervous im kind of worried they will think I am too crazy.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM
SAS Member

You made the right choice.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I went from being an excellent student to one that began to skip classes, not do homework, etc. I knew I needed some help, but I didn't want to accept seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist. I was "better" than that; I could do it without them. My pride was basically holding me back.

Fast forward a couple of years, I basically wasted 20,000 in tuition for a bunch of F's on my transcript because my pride wouldn't allow me to seek help. Not only that, but what only started as a school problem started to enter other parts of my life, mainly friends and family. I've lost contact with the majority of them, my self esteem is at an all time low, and now I have a really journey to get back to my earlier self.

You're making the right decision. Follow through with it so you can get a handle on your issues and get back on the right track. It's not going to be easy walking into the psychiatrist's office the first time. However, you know that your current path is not looking very good, and this is one of the ways to get back to where you want to be. I only wish I had seen one sooner.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Ok made the appointment. Im very nervous im kind of worried they will think I am too crazy.

I'm nervous too! Mine's on Monday, when's yours?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I felt the same way back in Jan 2010 when i went to see one for the first time. Be brave and stick with the appointment - be honest and open with them too when you get there, there's no need to downplay it to them.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:25 PM
SAS Member

How did it go for you? It wasn't what I was expecting. I thought I would get to pour my heart out, which is actually a nice relief for me, but instead he was very to the point. It was only a 10 minute appointment, and most of the time he was just gathering information to form the basis for a useful rx. I would definitely recommend meeting with a therapist if you want to vent to someone and start tackling the issues.

I asked him about my trouble with tests because I'm always the last to finish and my mind will go blank. He said that the problem is due to the depression and anxiety interfering with my ability to focus. If we cannot focus, then we cannot efficiently retain information. Therefore, it takes us 2-3 times longer to learn the material. Add to that test-taker anxiety and you have the recipe for poor grades, regardless of how smart you are.

I am looking forward to hearing your feedback from your visit and am hoping that you are feeling more at ease

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page