Constantly feeling of looking into a mirror - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Constantly feeling of looking into a mirror

This is going to seem rather strange, but I'll they and describe it to the best of my ability.

Ever since I have had social anxiety, I have always been very hyper aware of how other people perceive me, to the point where I cannot stop thinking about it, to the point where it feels that I am constantly staring at my own reflection.
This makes me feel very anxious in general, but no matter how hard I try to forget about it, it always persists in the back of my mind, like a lurking shadow.

There have been many times where it has been quite bothersome, to the point where I'll constantly check myself in the mirror to reassure myself of how I look, but as soon as I look away, I have the constant urge to do it again and the cycle repeats itself.

This has become so bad in fact, that anytime I make a facial expression, or move any part of my face that includes talking, blinking or anything else, I am always hyper aware of how people might notice me, depending on what I'm doing, or how I'm acting in my surroundings.

Other things that I seem to find incredibly nerve wracking is eating out in public and avoid it as much as I possibly can, so ideally I'd rather order takeouts or get deliveries to my house instead. I can however eat out in public, but I always have to be with someone, whether its a friend or a family member, to avoid feeling like I am in the spotlight, but I still hate it regardless.

Can anyone relate to how I feel, and if so what have you done to manage it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSharpies View Post
This is going to seem rather strange, but I'll they and describe it to the best of my ability.

Ever since I have had social anxiety, I have always been very hyper aware of how other people perceive me, to the point where I cannot stop thinking about it, to the point where it feels that I am constantly staring at my own reflection.
This makes me feel very anxious in general, but no matter how hard I try to forget about it, it always persists in the back of my mind, like a lurking shadow.

There have been many times where it has been quite bothersome, to the point where I'll constantly check myself in the mirror to reassure myself of how I look, but as soon as I look away, I have the constant urge to do it again and the cycle repeats itself.

This has become so bad in fact, that anytime I make a facial expression, or move any part of my face that includes talking, blinking or anything else, I am always hyper aware of how people might notice me, depending on what I'm doing, or how I'm acting in my surroundings.

Other things that I seem to find incredibly nerve wracking is eating out in public and avoid it as much as I possibly can, so ideally I'd rather order takeouts or get deliveries to my house instead. I can however eat out in public, but I always have to be with someone, whether its a friend or a family member, to avoid feeling like I am in the spotlight, but I still hate it regardless.

Can anyone relate to how I feel, and if so what have you done to manage it?

I should have read this better the first time around. I can totally relate to it too. I think it all comes down to not being comfortable around certain people. I bet it's not as big of a problem with friends or family because you can feel like yourself. I have been this way at work many times, you just want to act natural and not look weird or funny, you don't want any negative attention onto you, so you watch every move...

I think when you're in an uncomfortable position it's better to focus on the things that do matter, get out of that mindset because it can be really distracting and cause other problems. At my last job I tried really hard to seem like I wasn't dying of anxiety at every moment so I watched my every move and pretended like I was SO focused on my work but really I wasn't. All I could think of was oh god I hope someone isn't staring at me or laughing at me,don't turn your head weird or, stand funny, and because of it I kept messing up my work so much that I got yelled at a few times. I even do it as i'm driving and I come to a stop, I worry the people in the cars next to me are staring at my so start to behave unnaturally, like I pretend to glimpse at my phone, change the radio station, move my hands around nervously.. It's just a dumb mindset we have to try to break away from
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I find that my hypersensitive thoughts give me the opposite effect. I actually try to avoid mirrors because I am afraid that I look stupid and then I will become even more self conscious. I can definetly relate to being overly focused on my actions, what I look like, sound like. Am I blinking too much? Am I nodding my head enough? Am I smiling too much or not enough? I'm so focused on how I am perceived that I can barely focus on what the person is saying. In just about every conversation I have with someone, I always walk away feeling that I should have said this or done that more. I will literally obsess over one interaction all day or even days. Some days I'm just like I don't care what people think and then other days I drive myself crazy worrying about what people think of me. It's so frustrating sometimes.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
That's the thing that I avoid doing as more as possible.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page