Constant eye movement and the problems - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Constant eye movement and the problems

Well... I'm not sure if this is a fear of other people who I feel jelous or intimadated of but whenever I go outside, my eyes seem to take a mind of their own. They go left and right, follow people whenever they walk past me, and just won't stop moving even when I think I'm concentrating on one thing. I'm getting too many complaints about this and I'm sick of this! I haven't been comfortable with people for a while now and this whole eye thing isn't making anything better.

I'm woundering if anybody has this problem too and what they do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM

re: Constant eye movement and the problems

I'm sorry that people are complaining about it. I hope they're not being too harsh. I have the same problem, and many others on this forum will tell you that they go through the same thing every day, so you're not alone. This week, while I was getting ready to take an exam, the girl next to me looked up at me and I turned my head and looked around the room nervously. When I'm really anxious, there doesn't seem to be much I can do about my eye movement, so I think reducing my anxiety all together is my best bet.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Phew... I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Being calm and comfortable seems to be one of the cures. Yes, its gotten harsh. I think I've lost a friend (more like associate) and gained a few enemies. Apparently, people see nervous looks as dirty glances *fumes*. I've found out if I'm really calm and not thinking about the problem then nothing happens. Which happens rarely.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Re: Constant eye movement and the problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Zelda
Well... I'm not sure if this is a fear of other people who I feel jelous or intimadated of but whenever I go outside, my eyes seem to take a mind of their own. They go left and right, follow people whenever they walk past me, and just won't stop moving even when I think I'm concentrating on one thing. I'm getting too many complaints about this and I'm sick of this! I haven't been comfortable with people for a while now and this whole eye thing isn't making anything better.

I'm woundering if anybody has this problem too and what they do about it.
So your eyes follow where people are?

I have this same problem actually

in class i'll "stare" or keep an eye on people in my peripheral vision and ahead of me, its a pain in the *** because i'm so AWARE OF IT and i try to FORCE myself NOT to do it but forcing myself so strongly does the exact opposite and instead i'll stare even moreso at the people around me...

THIS Makes me feel WEIRD, creepy and I think others notice it because EYE contact is very strong and personal and if you have the guy in the corner staring at you who doesn't really talk to you...CREEPY!

I actually had a very long post about this alonnnnnnggggg time ago on these forums because it was probably my biggest issue, it felt as if i couldn't control my eye contact.

Its like an attractive women with her cleavage hanging out and you're trying to keep focused on HER EYES...DIFFICULT because you keep telling yourself FOCUS ON the face, FOCUS ON the face, and the more you keep thinking that you are distracted and can't focus on the conversation but instead the BOOBAGE!!! aghhhh

Or the worst, computer class if you have a computer faced right across someone who's facing you....i can't HELP but stare at them, its like I LOOK at them to see if they are LOOKING AT ME, i keep an eye out for other people...because well I'm afraid of people??? hrmmmmm

It makes me feel crazy tho, thats for sure, crazy, creepy and weird
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 AM

Yea i have this problem. I never talk but end up making eye contact with people a bit because my eyes wander in class. Not sure how many girls i creeped out by doing this heh.

Last year it was terrible, i'd stare at the same poor girl every day first period. At the beggining of the year i was checking her out but it became a bad habbit and my eyes tended to wander there when i spaced out the rest of the year. I'm sure she was weirded out, but she never said anything to me about it, thank god, and i sat in the back corner of the class which added to the quiet creepy guy factor.

Getting beter latley, this year i have been able to keep my eyes on my desk, or on the floor most of the day. I'll wander ocasionally. My unwanted eye contact level has dropped alot, and is almost limited to just spacing out now usually.

Only time i have a real trouble with this thing this year is in my gym class, some girl with a different teacher. Always will make eye contact with her but i look away nervously and i never can smile. I've caught her checking me out because it's impossible that ive made eye contact with her this much otherwise, but I'm pretty sure she thinks im creepy as hell, or that i've never approached her because i hate her by now because this happens almost every day and ive never talked to her.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 AM
SAS Member

i have this problem too! I'll glance at people, they'll notice me glancing, so I turn away. So I guess it looks like I'm giving them an odd look or staring at them when they weren't looking. I think I need to learn to smile at people instead of turning away and looking all suspicious about it.

I am going to completely work on making myself happy.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Smiling... I guess I could try that with new people. Too late on the old.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:32 PM
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

I notice myself doing this sometimes, particularly if i'm sat on a bus. I notice that everybody else just keeps like a fixed gaze out of the window, but my eyes usually dart around as i look at everything going on around me, and i always look at everybody getting on the bus. I must really freak people out!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Re: re: Constant eye movement and the problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank_mind
I notice myself doing this sometimes, particularly if i'm sat on a bus. I notice that everybody else just keeps like a fixed gaze out of the window, but my eyes usually dart around as i look at everything going on around me, and i always look at everybody getting on the bus. I must really freak people out!
I feel the same way, that i am freaking people out but I'm sure many are unaware of it UNTIL you meet eyes and if they were to look back at you and you still had that uneasy stare at them...AWKWARD, CREEPY

i wish i could CONTROL it but being so aware of it and telling myself NOT to do it actually makes it worse for me because then you're fighting against a maybe natural fear response from your body?

Like i was posting above, i think we do this because we are SCARED of people, people trigger our fear...Alone I'll feel like crap sometimes because I'm alone and i want to be around people BUT once i am around people the sensations of Social Anxiety starts with me and I begin to keep an eye out "looking for danger"

What danger do I fear? Ridicule from others, uneasy glimpses towards me, watching if people are talking about me or noticing something negative about me ---> So i watch them?

What do I feel the need to control what others think about me, why can't i accept they might not like me? Maybe the pain of knowing how much it hurts that someone can't accept me

i dont know!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM
SAS Member

Language: English

At stoplights when I am really hungry I have a tendency to follow the vehicles as they go by. It's so weird and it freaks me out. People at stoplights on the other side of the road notice and people in the cars behind me notice.

It just feels like I'm overstimulated by all the traffic and vehicles around me so my brain just needs to take a break so it does this. I make sure that I go home and eat right away if this happens

You had me at hello.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgirl
At stoplights when I am really hungry I have a tendency to follow the vehicles as they go by. It's so weird and it freaks me out. People at stoplights on the other side of the road notice and people in the cars behind me notice.

It just feels like I'm overstimulated by all the traffic and vehicles around me so my brain just needs to take a break so it does this. I make sure that I go home and eat right away if this happens
Do you really think they notice you doing it or maybe its just the social anxiety?

Here's what i'll do...

Stoplights...i'll stare at other people in their cars to my right, left and ahead and i'll then i have this thought that PEOPLE notice me doing it (Maybe they don't) and so I start trying to ACT all normal and comfortable (because i feel i'm being watched now) so i'll peer at the lights to my right, left and ahead and put on that tired/lazy facial look because i feel that makes me look normal so i'm fighting the sensation of fear with putting on a face/mask of calmness when inside i'm partially nervous...its RIDICULOUS! i'm not so hard on myself when I do it, its just really weird and awkward that I EVEN bother doing it

Even driving my car, if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, i feel so uncomfortable with it, i really have this deep belief or notion that i'm going to stare at them and they'll notice it and then the moment will become uncomfortable, and having that belief, i sometimes do it...its just ughhhhhh, absolutely makes me feel crazy. Its the one thing i think if I wasn't so aware of it and doing it i could make big strides forward...posting here tho is helipng me understand it and i know from earlier posts wayyyyyy back maybe 2 years ago that i know others suffer with something similar.

Its very strange, weird...
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I'm glad that people are learning from my topic, Halcyon. I noticed if I have my refelction to stare at then I'm ok.

Oh... my... GOODNESS! Driving in a car with someone in the passenger seat or seating behind or next to me is the worse! I've stared at my friends several times before. Man, it was awkard! I hate it. And I think I'm starting to loose excuses for this staring thing. Now I'm just trying to look up eye conditions on the internet, hoping to find someting.

I have a feeling if I get rid of this problem then I'll be really coinfident and be able to handle social sitiuations more.

Um, that thread started two years ago. Does anybody know if its still around so I can look at it?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that people are learning from my topic, Halcyon. I noticed if I have my refelction to stare at then I'm ok.

Oh... my... GOODNESS! Driving in a car with someone in the passenger seat or seating behind or next to me is the worse! I've stared at my friends several times before. Man, it was awkard! I hate it. And I think I'm starting to loose excuses for this staring thing. Now I'm just trying to look up eye conditions on the internet, hoping to find someting.

I have a feeling if I get rid of this problem then I'll be really coinfident and be able to handle social sitiuations more.

Um, that thread started two years ago. Does anybody know if its still around so I can look at it?
i do the same, if i'm able to stare at my reflection in the mirror, my eyes then it takes away the need to have to find someone else to stare at...i wonder whats causing this, very weird.

Yeah it was awhile back, i think i started a thread and there was maybe another person or two who also mentioned staring and i replied to it, might be able to dig it up in my post history...

Hope there are answers to this, its for sure one of the main reasons i have difficulty right now around people is the belief that i will stare at them and then lead to them being made to feel uncomfortable and myself feeling creepy/awkward because of it.

I might bring this up with my school counselor tomorrow...
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Re: Constant eye movement and the problems

Found one of them:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/for ... c&&start=0

Did some searches on google for Uncontrollable staring...came up with lots of stuff on child abuse, personality disorders and staring at people in showers lol ugh...doesn't really answer anything but give more labels...

i picked on much of my time in elementary school, i'd say throughout that entire time in elementary up to high-school i would try to change myself all the time so I wouldn't get picked on/bullied and I still have that up to this day where i feel i need to impress people or not be to open about saying things because i know the repercussions from my past
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Quote:

i do the same, if i'm able to stare at my reflection in the mirror, my eyes then it takes away the need to have to find someone else to stare at...i wonder whats causing this, very weird.

Yeah it was awhile back, i think i started a thread and there was maybe another person or two who also mentioned staring and i replied to it, might be able to dig it up in my post history...

Hope there are answers to this, its for sure one of the main reasons i have difficulty right now around people is the belief that i will stare at them and then lead to them being made to feel uncomfortable and myself feeling creepy/awkward because of it.

I might bring this up with my school counselor tomorrow...

I have the same trouble....i don't really mind with people i don't know,,,but it really pisses me off when I do that around my friends.

I believe my fear is so intense and I try so hard, that stress and being depressed make it worse....also, with constant eye movement comes THE EYEBAGS...thats a whole other topic..lol
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 PM

Before i joined the military i had problems staring at people. Don't any more, i usually keep my eyes away from peoples eyes now, and stare at a wall or the ground, or the sky or somthing when im not talking to someone.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
SAS Member

what about when talking to people? I have the staring/uncomfortable eye contact problem both when im talking and not talking to others. Like someone else mentioned I feel the need to watch and monitor everything around me too. It gets draining and adds to avoidance. I don't know..i have no clue how to deal with it.

Just wondering, has anyone found that meds helps with symptoms such as staring? I noticed myself that with alcohol while i may be relaxed i still feel uncomfortable with eye contact but it bothers me less.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 AM
SAS Member

thank god......i m not the only person in world with same problem....i tried too much but still i am with no answer.....can anybody help me out
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM
SAS Member

i am a student...and i want to study furter.....but i have same problem.When i seat in class , i try to concentrate on teacher but i dont know ...why my eyes stare at other students...when they look back at me , i fell so bad...that i done something wrong....the biggest fear is that because of me no other student should get same problem oterwise they will also blame me for their whole life spoiled....becuase of this problem i cant mixup in people....i cant do any work in life in people......i try to suicide also but i dont know my life is not willing to do that...plz can anybody help me out or i have to live this whole life alone.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 AM
SAS Member

wow, I didnt know this many people did the same thing. Whenever I am out in public or in class I am always staring and looking at people. I cant help it and I dont know why. Others have definitely caught me looking and it is very uncomfortable especially because I assume they think Im wierd.

Its almost as though others can just sit there and not look around, but because we have anxiety we have to know what is going on around us and never feel comfortable. At least that is how I feel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page