Childhood Trauma = Obsession with Childhood? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Question

Childhood Trauma = Obsession with Childhood?

I had a shower thought that most people I know that are obsessed with their childhood (i.e they are still obsessed with the toys/films/characters/music of that time when they were a child) all have childhood trauma issues. I wonder if those two were inter-linked in some way?

I personally have always been obsessed with the music and films from my childhood. I've never been able to grow out of it, and I wondered if sub-conciously I'm holding onto them because that's all I had before I got traumatised.

What do you think. Does anyone else suffer with childhood trauma, and is also obsessed with some aspect of their childhood?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
You are very wise squirrel with camera : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
I have very fond memories of childhood, all of them from before puberty. Most of my good memories are from then. I sometimes think about the toys, books, shows, etc., I had back then to take my mind off my present problems. But I wouldn't call it an obsession and I've never experienced any childhood trauma that I can remember. My life since puberty has certainly been traumatic, though.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:16 PM

Sometimes I get really sad when I hear songs, or see clips of films from a certain period of time. There are some things I wish I could erase, and then at the same time there are things that I feel are part of me even so. Some of it feels like a bit of a one two punch as well. Something that was like shared dry trauma/interests being renewed by a second event or period, being compounded over time by increasing association with the earliest event as I can't share it any longer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:39 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
It isn't really an individual trait, it's the zeitgeist. Time is disjointed because nothing dies/ends and everything is recorded and available, everything loops hauntologically because we can't invent new forms. Every generation that passes is a little more removed from universal coming of age rituals and milestones as unified timelines continue to disintegrate and progression doesn't happen linearly. The present doesn't really move because a lot of it takes place in 'non-time,' in 'non-places.'

"Today I lost more than you could imagine, but now is no time to mourn. Now, is no time at all."

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Ad astra per aspera.

Idk if it's the case for you (no need to unnecessarily pathologize yourself,) however, it's widely accepted in the trauma community that a person, or certain parts of the personality, can become emotionally and developmentally stuck at the age the trauma occurred. Def google it and take note of anything from Bessel van der Kolk or any of the trauma authors. Sorry I'm very tired and lazy atm.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 AM
SAS Member

Yes and No.

If you can function and are happy as an adult, nostalgia can be a very positive thing.

If you experience childhood trauma and stay "there" emotionally it can cause many problems in later life (e.g Puer aeternus or Peter Pan syndrome)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 AM
SAS Member

My childhood's far too long ago for me to remember much of it. It feels like several lifetimes ago.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 PM
You tell me

I think it's common for people to dwell on trauma memories, either that or they avoid thinking about it (if they can control that).

Idk about the link between childhood trauma and being obsessed with things that remind you of childhood. But I know geek culture involves a lot of heavy fixation on videogames, films, animations etc that most people are introduced to in childhood, but the geeks never outgrow it, they stay immersed in that culture. I read somewhere that this could be a form of fantasy exploration / escapism for them, especially if their reality falls far short of what they wanted, they can meet their needs that way (also may explain the appeal of rpg or cosplaying perhaps, though I think cosplaying might be more for artistic types who are an interest in costume design / makeup etc, or they enjoy the attention of dressing up and having photo ops with other people). 2. They tend to love elaborate stories as well I've noticed, because a lot of geek films will have loads of sequels / prequels. They're also usually obsessed with sci fi, but then again, when sci fi is done well it's pretty philosophical and I think intelligent types would be drawn to this. I don't get the impression most geeks are traumatised by their childhood but they are definitely obsessed with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page