Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   CBT not working (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/cbt-not-working-808865/)

CharLondon 01-08-2014 11:32 AM

CBT not working

So i'm coming up to the end of my CBT sessions but I don't think that they have really helped. I've also been put on Citalopram for over a month now and that's not helping either. Just wanted to know what other options are out there? Pretty much willing to try anything at this point...

RenegadeReloaded 01-08-2014 11:33 AM

I've done months of CBT with no results, for how long have you been trying it ?

All Panic No Disco 01-08-2014 11:42 AM

Citalopram worked for me I was on it for 6 months when I was really bad. It helped me feel a lot less anxious in social situations. The drug takes about a month to take effect. I remember I had really bad side effects for the first 3 weeks. Coming off the drug is really hard. I felt sick for a few weeks like my head was going to explode and had flu like symptoms. I feel a lot better now with my SA, not perfectly fine but at least I can cope better so I guess the drug helped me. I would keep on going with it and if it's not working you can always talk to your doctor, maybe you can change meds?

panic bomb 01-08-2014 11:45 AM

End of CBT? My whole life is one giant CBT sesh.

CharLondon 01-08-2014 11:56 AM

I've only been doing it about 6 weeks but I do it through my university & the maximum is 8 weeks (I don't know how that's really supposed to help seeing as the usual is about 16 weeks).

I spoke to my dr yesterday & she said to keep going for a couple more weeks & if it still doesn't help then she'll up the dosage. She also said since most of the meds do the same kind of thing she doesn't want to swap me around on different drugs.

All Panic No Disco 01-08-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

I spoke to my dr yesterday & she said to keep going for a couple more weeks & if it still doesn't help then she'll up the dosage. She also said since most of the meds do the same kind of thing she doesn't want to swap me around on different drugs.
Maybe a higher dosage will increase the benefits, it's worth trying if nothing improves in a couple of weeks. :)

My advice form my own experience would be don't stop taking the medication on your own. Even when it feels like it's doing nothing. I stopped without talking to my doctor and it was terrible!!

cellophanegirl 01-08-2014 12:45 PM

There's not really a miracle cure for SA, you just have to crawl out of it slooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy. Honestly I'm not surprised that 6 sessions of CBT didn't make much of a difference for you. At least now that you know how to do CBT, you can keep trying to do it on your own. It's weird that there are so few sessions before you get cut off, must be a UK thing.

Personally, I feel that I've slowly grown out of my SA. Obviously it's not completely gone since I'm still on SAS. But I don't freak out about stupid things the way I used to and have become more open with people in general. I've been in therapy for years, and on a couple SSRIs in that time (currently not on anything). I never felt like any of it worked while I was doing it, but I have noticed a change in the way I am now from the way I was in high school or even at your age. So who knows! But yeah, I haven't found anything that created a real "quick fix," as nice as that would be.

AngelClare 01-08-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophanegirl (Post 1069502313)
There's not really a miracle cure for SA, you just have to crawl out of it slooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy.

That's it. And sometimes you'll crawl out and fall back in.

OP,

CBT won't work instantly. You have to keep applying it every day. You have to put yourself in socially anxious situations and apply the techniques. You're trying to reprogram your brain and undo years of conditioning. It will take time, maybe years.

Also, read as much about SA as possible. If you're serious about getting better you should become an expert in SA treatments.

I highly recommend "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.