Casual hugging - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Casual hugging

God, I hate this. Family, I'm OK with, but I can't ever gauge when it's appropriate otherwise. When we get together with friends, guys will hug my fiance, but I rarely hug any of the girls. I don't feel it's my place to initiate, because I'm afraid they'll back off or think "why is this guy touching me?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM
SAS Member

Yes, casual hugging is weird. I don't like being hugged it make me very uncomfortable. And no matter how hard I try to avoid it people keeping doing it to me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 AM
crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayhou View Post
God, I hate this. Family, I'm OK with, but I can't ever gauge when it's appropriate otherwise. When we get together with friends, guys will hug my fiance, but I rarely hug any of the girls. I don't feel it's my place to initiate, because I'm afraid they'll back off or think "why is this guy touching me?"
Where do you live? It's different in different cultures. When I visited France it was great, because everybody kissed each other 3 times on the cheek as a greeting. So much warmer than America...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
I'm like that as well. I think I know why it's hard for us, but I can't put it into words right now because my brain is still half asleep atm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:46 AM
dazed and confused

I hate it when people invade my personal space. I used to live in Germany, and it was really bad there because acquaintances insist on hugging you when they see you, and sometimes even want to give you a kiss on the cheek O.O I would always try to keep them at bay by sticking out my hand for a handshake. People thought I was weird, but oh well.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 AM
SAS Member

Oh man a kiss would be even more awkward...and unsanitary. Handshaking is unsanitary enough. Girls my age greet each other with hugs which for me is a huge invasion of personal space and makes me really uncomfortable. It's awkward too a lot of times, especially if there are size differences in the person you're hugging. It's funny, I don't think I've ever actually hugged the one person who is my best and longest friend. (It's like Grey's Anatomy last night with Meredith and Christina, if anyone watches, where all the guys are hugging and they are wondering what the deal is and eventually awkwardly hug.) I just don't like to show my love that way...at least not with every single person I meet or know. Hugs should be for intimate acquaintances only, not in a casual scenario.

-"Do you have a dream for your life? Your future? Yes?"
-"Of course. Do you?"
-"It might sound weird. I want to someday be content. Just...feel comfortable, like everyone else. I want..."
-"...a normal life."
- Dexter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page