Can social anxiety be cured? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused

Can social anxiety be cured?

Personally, I dont think so.

But you can definately improve onto it. For example, Im nearly better but I still get anxiety in general.

Its in our personality that lies our anxiety, it's not something we can change but we can definately control it.

Anyone disgree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
I think this is like asking if obesity can be cured. You can lose weight, but you have to work to keep it off. You can't "learn" calories out of the food you eat. So it's about developing the right kinds of habits and the right "muscles".

You can learn to manage anxiety, but it's not like treating an infection, where you take medication and things go "back to normal". It's a kind of pressure you have to learn how to resist. You have to resist your temptation to avoid anxiety-inducing situations just like you have to resist your temptation to eat dessert. But the temptation will always be there.

It's going to be a much bigger challenge for some people than others. Some people are constitutionally more sensitive, or they have more triggers, or they're under more stress, etc. So I think people should focus on improvement, not on a cure. Improvement is going to look different for everyone. I can sit in a coffee shop now, as long as I can hide behind a book, but I haven't gotten to the point where I can ride the bus. I'm a long way from being cured, but I can do more than I could a year ago.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I think this is like asking if obesity can be cured. You can lose weight, but you have to work to keep it off. You can't "learn" calories out of the food you eat. So it's about developing the right kinds of habits and the right "muscles".

You can learn to manage anxiety, but it's not like treating an infection, where you take medication and things go "back to normal". It's a kind of pressure you have to learn how to resist. You have to resist your temptation to avoid anxiety-inducing situations just like you have to resist your temptation to eat dessert. But the temptation will always be there.

It's going to be a much bigger challenge for some people than others. Some people are constitutionally more sensitive, or they have more triggers, or they're under more stress, etc. So I think people should focus on improvement, not on a cure. Improvement is going to look different for everyone. I can sit in a coffee shop now, as long as I can hide behind a book, but I haven't gotten to the point where I can ride the bus. I'm a long way from being cured, but I can do more than I could a year ago.
I agree,

I think some people are more predisposed than others, its very much like acne, not everyone has it but some do were most likely cause by hereditary factors.

We can definately manage acne, but we cant cure it. So we can use the same analogy to here.

Im just trying to clear up some stuff because some people want to get "Cured' which you can't sadly.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:19 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
idk I think people have different reasons for having SAD. I mean social anxiety is kind of normal if you dont add the disorder bit.

but some people have low oxytocin and other stuff that prevents them from trusting people. some have PSTD type stuff re people. some prone to anxiety generally. some addicted to comfort. some have a lot of bad habits. probably some of the causes are curable but I think most are not curable, some go away on their own even though.

and re habits by the time you get to my age after being this way all your life, your life is built up around it. so its gonna take a lot to change that.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
idk I think people have different reasons for having SAD. I mean social anxiety is kind of normal if you dont add the disorder bit.

but some people have low oxytocin and other stuff that prevents them from trusting people. some have PSTD type stuff re people. some prone to anxiety generally. some addicted to comfort. some have a lot of bad habits. probably some of the causes are curable but I think most are not curable, some go away on their own even though.

and re habits by the time you get to my age after being this way all your life, your life is built up around it. so its gonna take a lot to change that.
I agree with you on some parts,

however,

I feel like once a person undergoes let's say behaviour therapy, and basically it rewires the brain to think normally.

I feel like that could work, however, a single incident might re cause social anxiety.

According to a medical research,

"Brain scans have revealed that people with social anxiety disorder suffer from hyperactivity in a part of the brain known as the amygdala."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:41 PM
monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
I agree with you on some parts,

however,

I feel like once a person undergoes let's say behaviour therapy, and basically it rewires the brain to think normally.

I feel like that could work, however, a single incident might re cause social anxiety.

"Brain scans have revealed that people with social anxiety disorder suffer from hyperactivity in a part of the brain known as the amygdala."
idk. I mean not curable in practice more than not possible. it's hard to make those changes on your own and the level of help needed is generally not available, expensive, etc. how are you meant to afford expensive (and possibly useless) treatment when you have a condition that reduces your capacity to earn a living. often the expertise needed is just not available.

for example I did a few courses of CBT but have little to show for it. it's the wrong tool for my problems. but I'm sure it works great for some people at a certain time of their lives etc.

―Balon Greyjoy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:54 PM
SAS Member

I think it depends on it's severity. It also seems to vary a lot just amongst the people that have it - or say they have it.

If we're specifically talking about social anxiety - mine hasn't changed all that much in probably 40 years. Not at it's core. But in saying that many other things come into it. My other mental health problems will have a massive impact on it. For example yesterday when I was manic as hell in the morning - it completely disappeared. I could literally feel the hesitation creep back in during the afternoon as the mania started to wane.

I think for some people it's far simpler than for others - it depends how complex their mental illness is and what else is going on.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:51 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
It can be possible to improve it and feel better, but I don't believe at all that it is possible to cure it in any way...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think it depends on it's severity. It also seems to vary a lot just amongst the people that have it - or say they have it.

If we're specifically talking about social anxiety - mine hasn't changed all that much in probably 40 years. Not at it's core. But in saying that many other things come into it. My other mental health problems will have a massive impact on it. For example yesterday when I was manic as hell in the morning - it completely disappeared. I could literally feel the hesitation creep back in during the afternoon as the mania started to wane.

I think for some people it's far simpler than for others - it depends how complex their mental illness is and what else is going on.
That sounds exactly like me.

One hour I'l be super excited,motivated, I would feel like a God basically.

3 hours pass Im depressed, having anxiety (not necessarily social but general anxiety)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
You can improve and get better but I don't think a total cure is possible. At least not at this point in medical science.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:

So.....you're suggesting that (the modern day equivalent of) a lobotomy is the cure?

/WYSD
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
So.....you're suggesting that (the modern day equivalent of) a lobotomy is the cure?
Quite the contrary lol, Im just suggesting that the first step to coping with social anxiety is by accepting yourself.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 PM
monk

Quote:
Quite the contrary lol, Im just suggesting that the first step to coping with social anxiety is by accepting yourself.
what's step 2?

―Balon Greyjoy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
what's step 2?
That's up to you to decide.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:25 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I'm not a psychologist, but I have read of people who say they no longer have social anxiety. I can't say for certain why some people seem to snap out of it, and others don't, that goes well beyond my pay grade. I can say, that I have had the anxiety of people since I was young, and the only cure I could imagine working would be a complete brain wipe along with a way to reprogram the manner in which my brain detects patterns. I suppose a lobotomy might work as well, anything that would change the way my brain works. For me, anxiety around people seems to be an inherent trait of mine, not due to the environment but based upon genetics. I notice patterns about the behavior of people, and to be honest, it is pretty damned scary.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I'm not a psychologist, but I have read of people who say they no longer have social anxiety. I can't say for certain why some people seem to snap out of it, and others don't, that goes well beyond my pay grade. I can say, that I have had the anxiety of people since I was young, and the only cure I could imagine working would be a complete brain wipe along with a way to reprogram the manner in which my brain detects patterns. I suppose a lobotomy might work as well, anything that would change the way my brain works. For me, anxiety around people seems to be an inherent trait of mine, not due to the environment but based upon genetics. I notice patterns about the behavior of people, and to be honest, it is pretty damned scary.

The citizens behavior and language overall are not human, and I find them extremely dangerous. They have no awareness of themselves subconsciously programmed in their own mind to detect one another social interaction. Everything about them is so damn unresponsive, all just an empty mind filled with a awareness someone created for them within the time of the event.

We need to scare the software engineers to death by exposing their emulation program gimmicks. At least start a war with them in humanity. The reality engineering doesn't work on extreme social anxiety people like us.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers computionally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events in their own environment.

The real creator gave the programmers restricted technologies.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page