Can I Sit in the Back at my Grandma's Funeral? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Fraidy Cat

Can I Sit in the Back at my Grandma's Funeral?

My dad's mother passed recently, not unexpectedly. But I have a severe, severe phobia of dead bodies and anything related to them. I managed to go to the viewing last night, but i stayed in the back the entire time and averted my eyes from the front of the room.

The funeral is today at noon (I'm awake here at 5 a.m. because I'm so nervous). I've been throwing up for days just thinking about it, and I'm feeling sick right now. Would it be okay for me to sit in the back of the room?

I know that family is supposed to sit up front but I cannot handle being that close, it will set off my anxiety and for all we know, probably throw up everywhere. If I need to slip out, it would be best that I sit near the back. Even if my family will look down on me for it. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but to be quiet honest I think my grandma would understand, and wouldn't require me to sit 6 feet away from her empty shell that freaks me out to no end.

So to sum it all up, should I feel bad about needing to sit in the back near the exit? Do I have to explain myself to disapproving people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:15 AM
Permanently Banned

You can sit wherever you want. Just get there early enough before the seats are filled.

For several relatives funerals I was towards the back, not just because I chose to sit there. But rather because seats towards the front were filled early, and from what I experienced nobody really cares where the family sits. In most of the funerals I attended family members were scattered around the pews.

If your family looks down on you for having necrophobia, then that's on them for not being understanding. Funerals aren't that big of a deal. They last like 1 hour, people do small talk, then get in their cars and drive away.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM
No longer on SAS.

You dont have to explain **** to people. do what you want.

I gather up

each sound

you left behind

and stretch them

on our bed.

each nite

I breathe you

and become high.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Sitting in the back should be fine. Its better than you freaking out over the body or catching a panic attack in front of everyone. Good luck.

~ The devil told me that I couldn't withstand the storm I replied, I am a warrior of Christ I am the storm. ~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Reality is wrong

I don't see why you can't sit in the back. If anyone asks, just say you're not feeling well and don't want to make others sick. I doubt that anyone will care, though.

I wish I could take a pill and change who I am.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page