Calling all Musicians with Social Anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Calling all Musicians with Social Anxiety

Hi,
As part of a project I am currently conducting a study into musicians who suffer from Social Anxiety. I am an undergraduate student from Huddersfield University in the UK and have Social Anxiety myself, hence the interest. If you are a musician who has Social Anxiety could you please answer the 8 questions below? It would be very much appreciated and would be a great help. If you would rather your responses were kept confidential then you can email me at [email protected]. Thanks very much.

Are you comfortable playing your instrument/singing with strangers?
Yes / No / Sometimes / Unsure

Are you comfortable playing your instrument/singing with friends?

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment (i.e.internet based) using just microphones with strangers?
Yes / No / Possibly / Unsure

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment using just microphones with friends?

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment using microphones and web cams with strangers?

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment using microphones and web cams with friends?

Do you use Social Networking websites such as Myspace, Bebo, Friendster etc?
Yes / No / Sometimes

Would you be able to play your instrument/sing in an online environment with friends made on a social networking website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
SAS Member

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment (i.e.internet based) using just microphones with strangers?

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment using just microphones with friends?

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment using microphones and web cams with strangers?

Would you be comfortable playing your instrument/singing in an online environment using microphones and web cams with friends?

Yes / No / Sometimes

Would you be able to play your instrument/sing in an online environment with friends made on a social networking website?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM

re: Calling all Musicians with Social Anxiety

Yes / No / Sometimes

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 AM
SAS Member

Yes / No / Sometimes

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM

Re: Calling all Musicians with Social Anxiety

If I'm prepared and don't have to e.g. play by ear or solo in unfamiliar or difficult songs, it's usually ok.

(I take that the 4 previous questions address only the social aspect; internet latency would make playing together very awkward at best)

Yes / No / Sometimes

Yes / No / Possibly / Unsure[/b]
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Sometimes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

No

Sometimes

Possibly
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:04 PM
SAS Member

Yes / No/ Possibly / Unsure

Yes / No / Sometimes

"We're not gonna let them commit suicide, even if we have to kill them." - ATF agent, South Park
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
SAS Member

It's kind of hard to play in real-time with people on the internet do to the delay. At least the last time I tried it it didn't go too well. You also have to consider audio quality. Otherwise, it's a good idea. I am open to sharing recorded music with others for editing.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, this information is most useful to my study and it is very much appreciated. If anyone else would still like to contribute there is still plenty of time to do so.
Thank you very much
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 PM

This might not count as being a musician but I took a piano class and played in there, so I'm a beginner in piano. Just thought I'd fill this out in case it might be useful.

No

No

No

Possibly

No

No

I use Facebook.

Possibly
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 PM
SAS Member

You guys should video tape yourselves playing and post it on YouTube.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Yes / No/ Possibly / Unsure

Yes / No / Sometimes

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 AM
R.I.P. Do not contact.

No

Sometimes

No

Possibly

No

Possibly

Yes

Possibly
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 AM

Wow, my answer is easy. NO to all questions. I feel nervous recording myself play even when I'm completely alone.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:08 AM

No

Sometimes

Yes

Yes

Possibly

Possibly

No

Possibly
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

No

Sometimes

Possibly

Yes

No

Possibly

Yes

Possibly
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Yes / No / Sometimes

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM
SAS Member

Sometimes

Sometimes

Possibly/Yes

Possibly/Yes

Possibly

Possibly

Yes, Myspace

Possibly

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Sing Songer

Not really

No

Possibly

No

unsure

No

Sometimes

Yes
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
No to all and yes on last two.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page