blushing ruin my life, cant take it anymore! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Angry

blushing ruin my life, cant take it anymore!

I suffer from excessive blushing and It's starting to ruin my life,i can't stop thinking of that and it brings more blushing.
i blush in every social interaction and i can't stand it anymore.
i don't take any meds but i thinking to start taking now.
what is the best med for blushing? i know that if i don't blush i can deal with everything even public speaking, but now it make me fear from every social situation which is coming.
Please don't say it cute or i need to believe in myself and etc, i only need your advice about what worked for you to manage the blushing in the quickest time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Click on my profile and check some of my past comments on blushing.

Basically the best med for this in my experience is Nardil. Propranolol and clonazepam helped somewhat too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
Click on my profile and check some of my past comments on blushing.

Basically the best med for this in my experience is Nardil. Propranolol and clonazepam helped somewhat too.
This specifically targets blushing? Like it stops the blood from rushing to the face during anxiety?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hi there
i been reading some of your posts regarding your journey with blushing and would like to ask about your long term experience with Nardil.
can you tell me about your current situation, how using Nardil is going? any side effects? any diet restrictions?
Did your doctor prescribe Nardil easily or you need to fight to get it.
Thanks for your kind sharing and info
Elison
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

to jtd1974
Hi there
i been reading some of your posts regarding your journey with blushing and would like to ask about your long term experience with Nardil.
can you tell me about your current situation, how using Nardil is going? any side effects? any diet restrictions?
Did your doctor prescribe Nardil easily or you need to fight to get it.
Thanks for your kind sharing and info
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:20 AM
SAS Member

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've been overseas and only just saw your posts.

@tigerblood - I'm not sure exactly how it works, but yes, Nardil stops me blushing. I was a chronic blusher for like 30-odd years, and nothing else really helped much.

Perhaps it's down to Nardil's anti-anxiety effects, I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a specific physical reason why it stops blushing, it just does. And it isn't just me. I've read accounts by other people with a blushing problem who said Nardil worked for them, too.

@elison - Nardil's still working well for me, blushing isn't a problem for me any more. I can't remember the last time I blushed. When you realise you don't have to worry about it any more, it gives a real sense of freedom.

But yes, side effects can be annoying. Nothing unbearable that makes me think about coming off Nardil, but a hassle all the same.

1. Excessive sweating. This in itself can be embarrassing. But I think the Nardil makes me not care too much. I still prefer it to blushing all the time.

I have a physical job, and this summer I've resorted to tying a towel around my head while I work, lol. On a warm day, a little exertion and the sweat drips off my face. But then again I live in Australia, and summer days regularly hit the low- to mid-40s.

2. Sexual stuff not unlike SSRIs, but possibly worse. For the first few months on Nardil I had a lot of difficulty ejaculating. Now it's better, but I still have lower libido, and occasional trouble reaching orgasm.

3. Weight gain - I've put on 10kg in two years on Nardil. It makes you crave sugary carbs. Think peanut butter, cakes, jam, cereal etc.

I've been taking metformin, which seems to have prevented any more weight gain. But I can't seem to lose the 10kg I put on.

4. Occasional difficulty sleeping, and subsequent daytime sleepiness. I sometimes take clonazepam (0.25mg) or pregabalin (75mg) to help me get a good night's sleep, but usually do this no more than twice a week.

And yes, you do have to follow a restricted diet. Aged/fermented food such as cheese, red wine, meat stock etc must be avoided. I'm used to the diet now, so it's no hassle.

With getting Nardil prescribed, I'd been through so many other meds (SSRIs, SNRIs etc) over the years that I think my psychiatrist was running out of options. He was starting to suggest lithium and even ECT.

When I asked about trying Nardil, he wanted me to go on Parnate instead, because he had some experience prescribing it, unlike Nardil. But I kept on about Nardil, and eventually he agreed. Since seeing my success with it, he tells me he's now prescribed it to a few other patients.

Hope this info can be of some help to you guys. Feel free to ask any more questions. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread and reply.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd1974 View Post
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've been overseas and only just saw your posts.

@tigerblood - I'm not sure exactly how it works, but yes, Nardil stops me blushing. I was a chronic blusher for like 30-odd years, and nothing else really helped much.

Perhaps it's down to Nardil's anti-anxiety effects, I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a specific physical reason why it stops blushing, it just does. And it isn't just me. I've read accounts by other people with a blushing problem who said Nardil worked for them, too.

@elison - Nardil's still working well for me, blushing isn't a problem for me any more. I can't remember the last time I blushed. When you realise you don't have to worry about it any more, it gives a real sense of freedom.

But yes, side effects can be annoying. Nothing unbearable that makes me think about coming off Nardil, but a hassle all the same.

1. Excessive sweating. This in itself can be embarrassing. But I think the Nardil makes me not care too much. I still prefer it to blushing all the time.

I have a physical job, and this summer I've resorted to tying a towel around my head while I work, lol. On a warm day, a little exertion and the sweat drips off my face. But then again I live in Australia, and summer days regularly hit the low- to mid-40s.

2. Sexual stuff not unlike SSRIs, but possibly worse. For the first few months on Nardil I had a lot of difficulty ejaculating. Now it's better, but I still have lower libido, and occasional trouble reaching orgasm.

3. Weight gain - I've put on 10kg in two years on Nardil. It makes you crave sugary carbs. Think peanut butter, cakes, jam, cereal etc.

I've been taking metformin, which seems to have prevented any more weight gain. But I can't seem to lose the 10kg I put on.

4. Occasional difficulty sleeping, and subsequent daytime sleepiness. I sometimes take clonazepam (0.25mg) or pregabalin (75mg) to help me get a good night's sleep, but usually do this no more than twice a week.

And yes, you do have to follow a restricted diet. Aged/fermented food such as cheese, red wine, meat stock etc must be avoided. I'm used to the diet now, so it's no hassle.

With getting Nardil prescribed, I'd been through so many other meds (SSRIs, SNRIs etc) over the years that I think my psychiatrist was running out of options. He was starting to suggest lithium and even ECT.

When I asked about trying Nardil, he wanted me to go on Parnate instead, because he had some experience prescribing it, unlike Nardil. But I kept on about Nardil, and eventually he agreed. Since seeing my success with it, he tells me he's now prescribed it to a few other patients.

Hope this info can be of some help to you guys. Feel free to ask any more questions. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread and reply.
Thanks for the information. My last question is: Is there a Nardil brand that doesn't have any of those side effects? LOL. Good to know all of that but I will have to pass on this one. Maybe one day science will develop to such an extent where they can create drugs that specifically target this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:12 PM
SAS Member

@tigerblood , lol. I think it looks worse on paper. The thing is, the side-effects sound bad, but it's hard to accurately convey Nardil's benefits.

As someone whose life was pretty much controlled by anxiety, it's amazing to feel confident and to be able to speak to anyone without fear of blushing or running out of things to say because my mind has gone blank.

I guess it really boils down to how much your issues are affecting your day-to-day life.

For me, just finding something that works has been so good I'd put up with almost anything.

Good luck dude 🙂
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I hate blushing, it happens to me even from a very little embarrassment, so I end up blushing very often.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:37 AM
SAS Member

Me too, only plucked up the courage to go to the doctors a couple of times. Had propranolol a few years ago didnt help. Found this forum and a few people recommended nardil mentioned to my doctor but he had no idea what it is and tried to tell me I just had rosacea, managed to get sertraline, have only had them a week so not noticed anything yet other than the side affects, I'm trying them for a month then going back to speak more about nardil and other options. It holds me back so much. I feel your pain!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 03:27 AM
Half agony, half hope.

Can 100% relate. I blush super easily when flustered, angry, embarrassed, when I'm into someone etc. It sucks. Like I wear my emotions/feelings on my sleeve 24/7.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 11:54 PM
SAS Member

Think of it in this kind of way. Blushing has never bothered me, because I can't see myself blush. I don't notice im blushing until someone tells me im blushing. After that even I can't even tell. Maybe that would help you stop blushing by reading what I said.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPeanuts View Post
Think of it in this kind of way. Blushing has never bothered me, because I can't see myself blush. I don't notice im blushing until someone tells me im blushing. After that even I can't even tell. Maybe that would help you stop blushing by reading what I said.
For me, when blushing was a a daily issue I had to contend with, I was 100% aware most times it happened.

My face would suddenly feel like it was burning, on fire. It's difficult not to notice something like that. I had no control over it.

Usually, it would be preceded by a thought like "Gee, it would be so embarrassing if I went red while I'm talking to this person". A few seconds later, I'd feel myself turning crimson red.

Being quite fair-skinned didn't help.

I think I became hyper-aware of the sensation, which made it worse.

And sometimes people would point out that my face was red even when I couldn't feel myself blushing.

Each blushing episode would spark feelings of shame and self-hatred.

It was a vicious circle that dominated my life for many years.

Thank God for Nardil!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page