Best Jobs for People with SA - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Re: Best Jobs for People with SA

I currently work for UPS at the airport. My daily job duties consist of uploading and downloading jets, sorting packages, and operating various equipment required to preform the above duties. This is a good job if you have SA because you only have to communicate with fellow employees, as opposed to customers. The job is unionized so there is considerable job security, decent pay, and great benefits. This job does not require a college degree either. If you are looking for a entry level job, try UPS. You might have to wait until we come out of the recession though. Right now, there are very few job openings.

I'm pursing a B.S. degree in business, concentrating in accounting. I hope this will be a good job for anxiety. It seems like it would be a good job for someone with SA because there is not a lot of social interactions. Most of my time would be spent on the computer making various financial entries, calculations, and analysis. Some accountants even get to work from home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
SAS Member

homemaker or stay-a-home-mom/dad... that is, if you can get someone else to support you.

"Isolating yourself from others will
not prevent you from getting hurt."

[-fortune cookie]
post #23 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM

I tried forcing myself to have a social job. I worked as a personal trainer, but I got NO clients, because they didn't want a shy trainer. I suffered through this for 3 months and finally had to leave. Then, I got an office job as an administrative assistant as a temporary employee. The boss actually told me she didn't want to make me permanent because of my personality (not aggressive enough), but someone else in the company believed in me because of my hard work, so I ended up becoming a permanent employee anyway until I got laid off. Now, I'm back in the process of getting another job and I would rather get teeth pulled. It's so @#$%ing hard. I'm so tired of empoyers making a big deal out of my shyness and nervousness, like I'm a leper or something. Like it's a huge obstacle I have to get over. It makes me feel like $#it. People are so mean to me at jobs and I have to go through it all again.

Forcing myself to do a social job is a bad idea. My personality is not going to change. I won't turn from a shy person into an outgoing person. I will be miserable. I'm better off working in an environment where I have to deal with the same people every day, as opposed to working with new people all the time. Avoiding too much phone work is a good idea too. I would get fired if I was a receptionist. I also can't have too much responsibility. *sigh* I really really hate working.

post #24 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 AM

Venusfruit - don't be so hard on yourself. I realised a while back that being shy is not illegal and that hard work does pay off. (Being a hard worker in itself can annoy some people in the short term and make them rude to you but will bring rewards in the end.) Hang in there - I'm sure you'll find a good job soon.
post #25 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
X33

Being shy is not illegal but it is a huge roadblock if you want to get anywhere in life. I will trade all my good qualities in a hearbeat if I could become charismatic and outgoing.
post #26 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Don't say that! But... I feel the same. Okay, so maybe we're not outgoing.. but we're charismatic in our own way. We're honest, observant, intelligent, and trustworthy. Thats very employable.
post #27 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff
Venusfruit - don't be so hard on yourself. I realised a while back that being shy is not illegal and that hard work does pay off. (Being a hard worker in itself can annoy some people in the short term and make them rude to you but will bring rewards in the end.) Hang in there - I'm sure you'll find a good job soon.
Thank you It's just so hard, you know? And I feel like I need to develop a hard shell in anticipation of the aggression I feel like I'm going to encounter when I go through the job process. I just haven't had any luck with employers. They were really hard on me and hated my shyness. They didn't understand and they saw it as a flaw in my work performance. However, there were other people I worked with who believed in me and liked the fact that I'm nice and a hard worker. I should be focusing on that now. I just wish it wasn't so hard.
post #28 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM
SAS Member

I want a job where I can do my own thing. I am not a social person, and know from past experiences that I don't work good around people.
I did apply to UPS, but haven't heard anything. All that backbiting, backstabbing, people who can't ever shut their mouth in the office, and all the job politics, got old.
I am shy, and not ashamed of it. My SA is bad, but I have changed all that I am going to.
post #29 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff
I currently work from home as a magazine journalist. I get work via email. I send the completed work back via email. I get paid electronically. Because I work for companies across the UK that are outside my area (quite a low-paid area) I can get better money than other people in my area working in offices at 'normal' jobs - I'd recommend it to anyone with SA. Teleworking means you can use your talents without the frustration of dealing with colleagues. Hope this encourages someone else to give it a go.
Sounds perfect griff. What qualifications are required? What exactly do you do; writing articles for magazines?
post #30 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM

I'm a CPC. Which means you code doctors operative reports so they can be billed to insurance companies for reimbursement. All I do is read, interpret, verify, and make sure things are being billed according to guidelines by Medicare, Medicaid and all the other insurance companies out there. It can get tedious at times but the only people you have to deal with is some of the doctors and their secretaries (I work for a large billing office) and of course some of my co workers. But you are so busy all day with your face in the reports that you don't have much time to worry about being sociable.
post #31 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.

Being a cashier is less stressful than I initially thought - I'm working as a sales associate right now, which is stressful but I find working the cashier shift relatively easy. Just a basic "Hello" "Sale starts next week" "Plase sign here" and "Have a nice day," minimal social skills required.

I'm working on a BS in anthropology, which should be interesting one I hit the career field.
post #32 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless
Personally, I think it might be good idea to at least try out a job that works with people... kind of forcing yourself out there, you know? Might even help with overcoming your anxiety, even if it's just a little bit.
You make an excellent point Shoeless. I currently have a job as a cashier, and as much as I hate the job because of the boredom of it and the occasional ******* customer, the one good thing about it is that it is excellent practice in dealing with people without feeling anxious. In fact, in the few months that I've had that job, I've noticed that the nervousness I feel when talking with people face to face is almost completely gone.
So I have to say that being a cashier is a good job for someone with SA.
post #33 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:33 AM

How about clerical work? I live near a hospital that is hiring for that and after my summer job is over I might apply if I don't go back to school. You just use a computer in an office or cubicle or at a desk, and you only have to interact with office people who you get to know eventually, instead of the general public.
post #34 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries
How about clerical work? I live near a hospital that is hiring for that and after my summer job is over I might apply if I don't go back to school. You just use a computer in an office or cubicle or at a desk, and you only have to interact with office people who you get to know eventually, instead of the general public.
It may sound strange, but I can't concentrate in the presence of other people. Even if there are only a few people.
post #35 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Hi Argamemnon

Formal journalism qualifications aren't necessary for magazine journalism - just a passion for a subject eg sports, wildlife, computers, fashion, history etc and the ability to write about it in an interesting way and from a new perspective.

I used to contact editors with ideas for articles for their magazines but these days they contact me.
I basically write about whatever they ask for - if they want 1000 words on the challenges currently facing small businesses in the UK and they want it by next Tuesday, then that's what they get!

Hope this helps - let me know if you want any more info.
post #36 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
UnDeRrAtED

I wish I could be a professional athlete but that would be a dream. anyways, any job for me is difficult enough to just function.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #37 of 150 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Im really glad that a lot of you have pitched in and told your stories about what jobs you have gone through because I feel so ashamed I just quit one,and I really do need it because I was just taken to court over a bill i need to pay. So I really need to buckle down and not just for myself,but so that I wont get taken back to court and harrassed by these people.
post #38 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

security guard

Don't be scared just be prepared for the worst
post #39 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Permanently Banned

One you love...?
post #40 of 150 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM

maybe a pilot would be a good job for someone with sa...that's what i want to do. at most you would be working only with one other person and you don't have to deal with customers and socializing like you would in an office/retail job. but sadly pilots don't make nearly as much as they used to

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page