Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   been feeling up and down lately... (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/been-feeling-up-and-down-lately-16574/)

No Limit 11-02-2006 08:55 AM

been feeling up and down lately...

I dont know. Somedays I feel confident and other days I feel like there's no point in life. It's like my life has no meaning to it. I just do my daily routine and go back to my apartment. Part of it also stems from the fact that I want a girlfriend. Im not ugly and get look on a regular basis but I am so shy to just go up and strike up a conversation. sigh. I am not living up to my sig...

suncowiam 11-02-2006 10:41 AM

Re: been feeling up and down lately...

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Limit
I dont know. Somedays I feel confident and other days I feel like there's no point in life. It's like my life has no meaning to it. I just do my daily routine and go back to my apartment. Part of it also stems from the fact that I want a girlfriend. Im not ugly and get look on a regular basis but I am so shy to just go up and strike up a conversation. sigh. I am not living up to my sig...

It sounds like your expectations of yourself are a little high. Can I ask what they are? Sometimes, instead of saying that you should have a GF, maybe setting the bar down to just having a conversation with a girl you're interested in might be more realistic. I hope I don't sound too straight-forward, but I've been there too. =) And that's what my therapist suggested to me.

No Limit 11-02-2006 10:05 PM

Well ok. Maybe I threw in the girlfriend too quickly. I know I have to start from step one. But it's just things in general. Like at my workplace. Everyone seems to remember the other student assistants names except for mine even though I equally help and we both started at the same time. And it's a long story, but let's just say the guard of the building I work with doesn't like me because I had an argument with him because he thought I had an attitude because I looked mad at him just because I don't have a fake smile on my face all the time and now he just stares at me as soon as I enter the building until I get into the elevator. It's just like life is blah to me right now. The only time when I don't get depressed or think about things too much is actually when I'm playing 9-ball, a billiards game I enjoy very much. A hobby which I picked up from a girl who doesn't talk to me anymore which is the irony of it all.

suncowiam 11-02-2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Limit
Well ok. Maybe I threw in the girlfriend too quickly. I know I have to start from step one. But it's just things in general. Like at my workplace. Everyone seems to remember the other student assistants names except for mine even though I equally help and we both started at the same time. And it's a long story, but let's just say the guard of the building I work with doesn't like me because I had an argument with him because he thought I had an attitude because I looked mad at him just because I don't have a fake smile on my face all the time and now he just stares at me as soon as I enter the building until I get into the elevator. It's just like life is blah to me right now. The only time when I don't get depressed or think about things too much is actually when I'm playing 9-ball, a billiards game I enjoy very much. A hobby which I picked up from a girl who doesn't talk to me anymore which is the irony of it all.

I know completely where you're coming from. I have a need of acceptance too, but let's take a step back and think some things out. Do you really need this guy to like you? Maybe he should be more accepting of you having a bad day. We all have bad days and we can't always put on a happy face. Days can turn into weeks which can turn into months. Hmmm... If you're really depressed like maybe for more then a month, I would suggest getting professional help. =) I know it sounds intimidating but it could be one of the best things for you to do.

Yeah, I know what you mean concerning hobbies. Myself, I play basketball, soccer and PC games to zone out. It fills me up with energy again so I can go out and do what I need to do in a sense.