Are you unhappy? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed

Are you unhappy?

Very interesting video based on Bertrand Russell's works.

Summary points:

Source of unhappiness 1
  • People are unhappy because we set up a goal which demands of us certain things: and we do these things. We adjust to the demands of a concept which isn't valid.

Possible Solution
  • Don't dedicate a life to reaching a pre-defined goal, but rather choose a way of life you know you will enjoy. Goals do not guarantee satisfaction or happiness upon being obtained: the goal is absolutely secondary. It is the functioning toward the goal which is important and is where you will find happiness.

Source of Unhappiness 2
  • People are also unhappy because they have unrealistic concepts of themselves and expect others to adhere to the specifics of their self perception. Envy leads to unhappiness and basing decisions on envy will lead to even more unhappiness.

Possible Solution
  • Realize that nobody is judging you the way you think they are and it doesn't matter anyways and don't base you decisions on envy.

Source of Unhappiness 3
  • Unhappiness is also a manifestation of anxiety caused by the fear of not being constantly stimulated and anxiety resulting from fear of negative public opinions.

Possible Solution
  • Accept boredom as a break for the constant and tiring stimulation of modern society. Don't expect others to take as much interest in yourself as you do.

Now suffering from a disorder such as SA is going to complicate this I realise, but it might be food for thought and a little insight.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
SAS Member

Nah. I'm happy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

On the 7th day God said, "Let there be heavenly music." And it was so. God called it "Trance and House Music" And God was pleased with what he heard and saw that it was good.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I can see those sources of unhappiness in my life for sure. Easier said than done dealing with them...

To succeed in the world, it is much more necessary to possess the penetration to discern who is a fool, than to discover who is a clever man. -Talleyrand
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM
bipolar

Surprisingly I'm actually pretty happy. I recognise though that I've been very lucky in life - I have a wonderful family (even though it's a bit unorthodox), I have interests, I can travel a bit sometimes - admittedly pretty cheaply but it's amazing I can afford to at all, and I'm genuinely optimistic about the future. Given that I'm 56 years old I think that's not too bad.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM
SAS Member

I was unhappy for a few years when I re-located to a new area and the cracks got bigger in my relationship.
This year has been much better due to some changes in my life. I still have a way to go to where I want to be, it's positive so I'm happy.

I'm not looking back but I want to look around me now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page