Anyone tried lucid dream to improve SA? did it work? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question

Anyone tried lucid dream to improve SA? did it work?

i've known lucid dreaming over 7 years now but sadly never could get one
probably lack of motivation, but this year i am trying to finally be able to Lucid dream
and with hope this will increase my SA.

for those who don't know, lucid dreaming is a dream where you have complete control over your dream
and real-life like. so it's basically another 'life' where you are the god of that world we could say.

i feel like that is the only solution to cure or improve my SA. i've been to some psychologists and they all
tell me what i already know.. i'm trying psycotherapy now but i don't see any difference either.
so i will try my best to be able to master lucid dreaming in order to improve my SA and confidence.

has anyone ever had a lucid dream, did it improve your SA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 05:36 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Didn't tried it, but as mostly I have negative thoughts about that...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 05:59 PM
SAS Member

I would love to have a lucid dream, but I don't even know how to or if I'm capable of that. I'm more likely to just wake up.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I had nightmares fairly often as a child, but eventually learned to close my eyes in the dream in order to wake myself up at any time. Then that turned into being able to control other dreams...being able to fly when I wanted, for example.

Unfortunately I haven't had any lucid dreams as an adult...but also way less nightmares.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
It's a good idea, I think it has a lot of potential. I've had some lucid dreams but not in long time. What kind of things are you practicing?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 04:52 PM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
I spent years trying to have lucid dreams so that I could end my nightmares (which I get most nights). I only ever managed to have two, one very short, and that was after about 5 years of effort. I finally gave up. It seems to be something that only some people can learn.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 06:06 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I spent years trying to have lucid dreams so that I could end my nightmares (which I get most nights). I only ever managed to have two, one very short, and that was after about 5 years of effort. I finally gave up. It seems to be something that only some people can learn.
It took me a month and I had two in a row. When people take that long to achieve something like this it's because there's an underlying belief that's stopping them, a resistance or something telling you that you're not good enough so that's something you need to work on first.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 06:07 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I have them every now and then, usually it is not very long lasting because I get drifted back into the dream. When I was younger, I used to be really interested in new age things, and spent a lot of time trying to induce things like lucid dreaming. One thing, I remember doing as instructed by a book, was to often ask myself "am I dreaming" throughout the day, as silly as that sounds. It was to make it a habit, so that eventually you ask yourself it while you are sleeping. I don't know if that helped or not. There are also special night masks, that can detect while you're in REM sleep that blink lights that are supposed to help you achieve a lucid dream, I think that also requires you to realize that blinking lights are an indication that you are sleeping.

The problem is, once I have realized I am dreaming, I have control for a little bit. I will do a few things I want to do, usually it involves flying around, but it is really easy to get absorbed back into the dream and lose that control, that is to forget you are dreaming. One thing I sometimes do, is imagine myself spinning around in circles and it helps maintain lucidity but not for long. Another problem is, it is really easy to wake yourself up from a dream when doing it.

I don't know if it would help with social anxiety, being in control of the dream is much like a day dream. It is more visual, at least for me, but is basically is the same thing. I do that quite often, just drift off into a day dream, living whatever way I want. I've been a dragon slayer, a magician, an explorer, I've done many amazing things in my imagination, but it has never helped with anxiety I feel in real life. That is not to say it wouldn't help you though, I just have never known of a way that it would help me.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 08:36 PM
The Meditator

Once you have them often the next challenge is to stay in them for longer. Mine were usually short and with the longer ones I was going in and out of lucidity. One of the things you can do to help with social anxiety is to manifest someone or something that knows how to help you, pretty much only limited by your imagination.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 10:56 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I have them every now and then, usually it is not very long lasting because I get drifted back into the dream. When I was younger, I used to be really interested in new age things, and spent a lot of time trying to induce things like lucid dreaming. One thing, I remember doing as instructed by a book, was to often ask myself "am I dreaming" throughout the day, as silly as that sounds. It was to make it a habit, so that eventually you ask yourself it while you are sleeping. I don't know if that helped or not. There are also special night masks, that can detect while you're in REM sleep that blink lights that are supposed to help you achieve a lucid dream, I think that also requires you to realize that blinking lights are an indication that you are sleeping.

The problem is, once I have realized I am dreaming, I have control for a little bit. I will do a few things I want to do, usually it involves flying around, but it is really easy to get absorbed back into the dream and lose that control, that is to forget you are dreaming. One thing I sometimes do, is imagine myself spinning around in circles and it helps maintain lucidity but not for long. Another problem is, it is really easy to wake yourself up from a dream when doing it.

I don't know if it would help with social anxiety, being in control of the dream is much like a day dream. It is more visual, at least for me, but is basically is the same thing. I do that quite often, just drift off into a day dream, living whatever way I want. I've been a dragon slayer, a magician, an explorer, I've done many amazing things in my imagination, but it has never helped with anxiety I feel in real life. That is not to say it wouldn't help you though, I just have never known of a way that it would help me.
Have you looked into OBE (Out of Body Experience)? I think you would be good at it.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
Have you looked into OBE (Out of Body Experience)? I think you would be good at it.

Yep, I've had very limited success with it. The best I can remember, was while on a waterbed, hanging from the headboard above my body trying to resit some force pulling me back to my body. Everything was in a hue of purple, and very hazy, it was pretty wild I have had many experiences feeling as though I were detached from my body, but nothing with significant visuals unfortunately.. I tried for a long time to get a good OBE, or Astral Projection as the two are supposed to be different (one in reality, the other through the astral plane) and never really got far.

It was never really enough to convince me it was anything other than my imagination though, unfortunately. My youngest brother said he had more success than me, but then my younger brother is prone to lying, unfortunately.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:26 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
Yep, I've had very limited success with it. The best I can remember, was while on a waterbed, hanging from the headboard above my body trying to resit some force pulling me back to my body. Everything was in a hue of purple, and very hazy, it was pretty wild I have had many experiences feeling as though I were detached from my body, but nothing with significant visuals unfortunately.. I tried for a long time to get a good OBE, or Astral Projection as the two are supposed to be different (one in reality, the other through the astral plane) and never really got far.

It was never really enough to convince me it was anything other than my imagination though, unfortunately. My youngest brother said he had more success than me, but then my younger brother is prone to lying, unfortunately.
Did you read any books on it?

I was close to having them a few times, years ago before I really knew anything about it. When lying in bed I would feel this vibration all over my body, like a dead leg and I just knew that the next step was to go out of body. I tried a couple of times and felt like I was leaving a little bit but then the vibrations would stop. I read William Buhlmans book, Adventures Beyond The Body and practiced every night for a month but didn't get it so I gave up. It's something that would be more challenging to do than lucid dreaming but millions of people have had them randomly and thousands are masters of it like William Buhlman who's the pioneer in the field and has worked with thousands of people. There's also people like Michael Newton who's the pioneer of the life in between lives, he worked on regressing people to the time they spent in between lives. He's book, Journey of Souls is amazing.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Did you read any books on it?

I was close to having them a few times, years ago before I really knew anything about it. When lying in bed I would feel this vibration all over my body, like a dead leg and I just knew that the next step was to go out of body. I tried a couple of times and felt like I was leaving a little bit but then the vibrations would stop. I read William Buhlmans book, Adventures Beyond The Body and practiced every night for a month but didn't get it so I gave up. It's something that would be more challenging to do than lucid dreaming but millions of people have had them randomly and thousands are masters of it like William Buhlman who's the pioneer in the field and has worked with thousands of people. There's also people like Michael Newton who's the pioneer of the life in between lives, he worked on regressing people to the time they spent in between lives. He's book, Journey of Souls is amazing.

My favorite book was the Astral Projection Workbook by James Brennan, I would not think it to be the best book on it though. Back then, there were a limited number of books available in my local bookstore I also read a few books by Robert Monroe, but they were not very instructional from what I recall. They were more so recollections he had of astral projection.

There was one workbook, that I recall that had a great exercise in it, I wish I could remember the name of it, it was a a very small book, with a black cover. The gist of it, the exercise anyway was to feel energy starting from your toes, moving upwards through your body, in your abdominal region you are to imagine that energy rotating, then moving upward to your chest, through your arms to your fingertips, then back toward your head and outward. I did that, along with I believe three slow breaths in, and two very slow breaths out, and trying to maintain concentration on the feeling of the energy flowing through my body. With that, I experienced a pretty wild hallucination, as though I were in a very large but dark hanger, that was empty.. I could hear voices that echoed within the confines of such a hanger, but not distinguish them mind you, I'm not prone to hearing voices.

I often have reached that point that I felt the vibrations you speak of, by attaining a very deep level of relaxation, controlling my breathing, and imagining myself spinning around in circles. I still get to that point every now and then without trying, especially when I am in a lucid dream. It is pretty crazy, that this is something a lot of people experience. Monroe suggested envisioning a point above your forehead, about 12 inches, and I have done that often. You might feel yourself floating above your body, as though your awareness has detached. Beyond that, I did not get very far.

I wish I could give you more info, really though I don't know very much, and I am sure there are others more experienced than me. I would also hint at the side of caution, that this is my own experience, it has never resulted in anything extraordinary. I wish it had.

One thing I can say, for me anyway, is the point where I would feel vibrations in my body, it would really help to imagine myself spinning around, it would intensify the vibrations. My body would slowly feel stiff, and more bound to the physics of nature rather than my control, as though I were in a sleep paralysis.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
My favorite book was the Astral Projection Workbook by James Brennan, I would not think it to be the best book on it though. Back then, there were a limited number of books available in my local bookstore I also read a few books by Robert Monroe, but they were not very instructional from what I recall. They were more so recollections he had of astral projection.

There was one workbook, that I recall that had a great exercise in it, I wish I could remember the name of it, it was a a very small book, with a black cover. The gist of it, the exercise anyway was to feel energy starting from your toes, moving upwards through your body, in your abdominal region you are to imagine that energy rotating, then moving upward to your chest, through your arms to your fingertips, then back toward your head and outward. I did that, along with I believe three slow breaths in, and two very slow breaths out, and trying to maintain concentration on the feeling of the energy flowing through my body. With that, I experienced a pretty wild hallucination, as though I were in a very large but dark hanger, that was empty.. I could hear voices that echoed within the confines of such a hanger, but not distinguish them mind you, I'm not prone to hearing voices.

I often have reached felt the vibrations you speak of, by reaching a very deep level of relaxation, controlling my breathing, and imagining myself spinning around in circles. It is pretty crazy, that this is something a lot of people experience. Monroe suggested envisioning a point above your forehead, about 12 inches, and I have done that often. You might feel yourself floating above your body, as though your awareness has detached. Beyond that, I did not get very far.

I wish I could give you more info, really though I don't know very much, and I am sure there are others more experienced than me. I would also hint at the side of caution, that this is my own experience, it has never resulted in anything extraordinary. I wish it had.

One thing I can say, for me anyway, is the point where I would feel vibrations in my body, it would really help to imagine myself spinning around, it would intensify the vibrations. My body would slowly feel stiff, and more bound to the physics of nature rather than my control, as though I were in a sleep paralysis.
Yeah, the vibration is the first of four stages, I didn't know that until I read Williams book. That's where we want to spend time on when trying, for most of us that couldn't get past that is because there's something holding us back, not enough practice and past conditioning. It's just easier to allow yourself to lucid dream. I want to get back into it one day but I already spend like 2 hours meditating on other things.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 AM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I have a couple of times, but I don't remember them well now and I didn't do anything SA related in them (I don't really have SA in dreams anyway.) The most recent one was last year and it only lasted about a minute of dream time before I lost control because I had to keep the dream reality together at the same time as doing things and it was hard to do both simultaneously. The previous one I don't remember at all now.

I've never actively tried to get one though and I have terrible dream recollection these days probably because of my mental health issues. Which sucks because most of the ones I remember are really interesting or even if they're not there is really interesting architectural stuff or something.

Quote:

Yeah that seemed to be what happened with me.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 06:11 AM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
I think my mum said that sometimes when she'd get really scared in nightmares she could wake herself up from them somehow. I don't have many nightmares (and don't remember my dreams very often now either,) but when I do at a certain point they often turn comedic or the scary part is short and other things happen, or something bad happens and then I become the monster (like one time someone shot me dead and then I came back and started eating them, was pretty graphic but didn't bother me because it was me doing it,) or I alter the dream unconsciously so it becomes less scary when I become really freaked out. But that seems to happen without me trying. I had sleep paralysis one time though and that was pretty bad even though it wasn't visual.

I don't think this is enough but I seem to have some kind of empathy/fascination with horrifying or creepy stuff even when awake. Like even from early childhood. So I'm wondering if that somehow effects things in my subconscious as well.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 AM
SAS Member

I tried LD but with very weak results. Usually I couldn't find balance point when I have got to know that I am in dream and I have immediately woken up.

I'm running away though nobody is chasing me.

If you like playing video, board or card games please consider this proposition:

https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f7/you-can-discover-more-about-a-person-in-an-hour-2231377
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:51 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
It took me a month and I had two in a row. When people take that long to achieve something like this it's because there's an underlying belief that's stopping them, a resistance or something telling you that you're not good enough so that's something you need to work on first.
Well, I'm aware of that. I've read several books about it and spent several years trying to figure out why it wasn't working for me. I've also done a lot of meditation over the years. I use it to manage my stress. It really makes no difference whether the problem is an underlying belief or something else if you can't find or eliminate the belief.

In my dreams, something or someone is usually trying to kill me, so asking myself if I'm dreaming, or looking at my hands or whatever, never occurs to me in my dreams, even though I do it all the time IRL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I think my mum said that sometimes when she'd get really scared in nightmares she could wake herself up from them somehow. I don't have many nightmares (and don't remember my dreams very often now either,) but when I do at a certain point they often turn comedic or the scary part is short and other things happen, or something bad happens and then I become the monster (like one time someone shot me dead and then I came back and started eating them, was pretty graphic but didn't bother me because it was me doing it,) or I alter the dream unconsciously so it becomes less scary when I become really freaked out. But that seems to happen without me trying. I had sleep paralysis one time though and that was pretty bad even though it wasn't visual.

I don't think this is enough but I seem to have some kind of empathy/fascination with horrifying or creepy stuff even when awake. Like even from early childhood. So I'm wondering if that somehow effects things in my subconscious as well.
Every once in a while I'll wake myself up, but 99% of the time the dream wakes me up. Which is different. In the first, you realize while having the dream it is a dream and say "**** this" and wake yourself up; in the second the adrenaline itself wakes you up (wake with a start, heart pounding).

Sometimes my dreams change from nightmares into less upsetting dreams on their own. It's not unusual for me to be woken up by a nightmare 2 or 3 times a night. This is one of the reasons I've had insomnia for the last 30 years and why I'm perpetually exhausted. I don't honestly remember the last time I had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It's been years and years.

The only good thing is that I've seen lots of cool monsters and been in lots of interesting situations. Giants, robots, aliens, bears/lions/wolves/giant owls, mythological creatures, ghosts, demons, possessed toys, Satan (several times), zombies, serial killers, Nazis, cannibals. Lots of dreams about having some kind of disease that makes my body rot/fall apart. Tornadoes, floods, electrical storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, plagues, wars. And then, when I'm awake, I have my OCD about violence, so it's like my nightmares spill over into RL.

I've always liked horror movies/games/books. They don't really scare me, because my dreams are worse, but I find them interesting and oddly 'familiar'. The one thing that does bother me is any kind of torture scenario, where someone's tied up and being hurt by another person. I don't like intentional, cruel, malicious violence of any kind. But I can handle fight scenes in movies just fine. Accidents bother me, though, too, if they're graphic. I think the more possible something is, the more it bothers me. So supernatural stuff doesn't bother me at all when I'm watching it but even something like a YT video of someone falling and hurting themselves can. I'm very fond of creepy-cute stuff.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:59 AM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:

Every once in a while I'll wake myself up, but 99% of the time the dream wakes me up. Which is different. In the first, you realize while having the dream it is a dream and say "**** this" and wake yourself up; in the second the adrenaline itself wakes you up (wake with a start, heart pounding).

Sometimes my dreams change from nightmares into less upsetting dreams on their own. It's not unusual for me to be woken up by a nightmare 2 or 3 times a night. This is one of the reasons I've had insomnia for the last 30 years and why I'm perpetually exhausted. I don't honestly remember the last time I had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It's been years and years.

The only good thing is that I've seen lots of cool monsters and been in lots of interesting situations. Giants, robots, aliens, bears/lions/wolves/giant owls, mythological creatures, ghosts, demons, possessed toys, Satan (several times), zombies, serial killers, Nazis, cannibals. Lots of dreams about having some kind of disease that makes my body rot/fall apart. Tornadoes, floods, electrical storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, plagues, wars. And then, when I'm awake, I have my OCD about violence, so it's like my nightmares spill over into RL.

I've always liked horror movies/games/books. They don't really scare me, because my dreams are worse, but I find them interesting and oddly 'familiar'. The one thing that does bother me is any kind of torture scenario, where someone's tied up and being hurt by another person. I don't like intentional, cruel, malicious violence of any kind. But I can handle fight scenes in movies just fine. Accidents bother me, though, too, if they're graphic. I think the more possible something is, the more it bothers me. So supernatural stuff doesn't bother me at all when I'm watching it but even something like a YT video of someone falling and hurting themselves can. I'm very fond of creepy-cute stuff.
Oh yeah I forgot but I had a dream which involved part of my body rotting years ago too. I think it was symbolic though.

Having them every night must be difficult. It's weird how some people are more prone to them than others. I wonder if it's related to the violence OCD? Like those feelings seep into your subconscious and manifest weirdly.

I don't watch much horror stuff but I think I'm probably the opposite though it depends. But the Saw films I watched didn't bother me that much for example. I think I tend to react to realistic stuff more with anger (if anything,) so it doesn't make me as scared, might make me cringe though. I mentioned this in another thread recently but Amnesia: The Dark Descent was pretty scary when I tried to play it. (Also watching people's reactions while playing that game is funny.) Also often the sound effects really mess with me. Psychological/supernatural stuff is more scary to me, but I find it very interesting at the same time.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
I have dreams where I can control something subconsciously. Like when I don't want something to happen in it, I think about it and it happens the next second lol Usually in nightmares, but I don't find them super scary cause I know it's a dream, especially when I can control things with my thoughts.

I don't see how having a lucid dream would help me with SA cause people in reality can't be controlled with my thoughts. Maybe it makes sense to you though cause you have certain reasons for SA, it's different for everybody. But I'm wondering why you think it will help you

Sorry not sorry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page