Anyone think that becoming a millionaire will get rid of SAD ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone think that becoming a millionaire will get rid of SAD ?

I mean imagine somehow you get rich BUT you still live in the same city maybe a better apartment
but within the middle class. Yo don't move with the rich people becasue you will became equal as them.
So by staying with like the same type of evironment but knowing when you go on the street you have more money
than and average joe on the street and all his friends combined, where would come the excuses this time when you know you are superior to everyone on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Barbells and kittens

Wouldn't help with anxiety at all, but every problem I have in life could be solved by more money, so I'd be happier for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:40 AM
alien monk

lol

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:45 AM
bipolar

Having money doesn't automatically take away your anxiety at all - or any other mental health problems.

You could be living in a penthouse - but if you're too afraid to talk to the people outside, or if you can't make a connection with anyone - how is that going to help you?

In saying that it's much nicer to have money than not have it obviously. You can at least afford medication, therapy etc. And you could hire people to be around you if you wanted them to be.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'd start some kind of business so that thousands of people will work for me, then they'll have to like me otherwise I'll have them killed.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:28 PM
lagrimas negras

Probably not but I wouldn't have to work anymore and that would make me a very happy little hermit.
Don't get me wrong,I'm not afraid of hard work, is dealing with other people's nonsense that drives me crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:31 PM
-

No.

Because I know I'm never going to become a millionaire to begin with.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
No. But it would certainly make living with it a lot easier.

/WYSD
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 06:57 PM
The Wanderer

Well you'd have the option of therapy and meds of top quality if you want. But the money itself, it's not going to change much of a person with mental illness. Might bring out the bad side of you if anything. Takes some control with that much power. Of course being a charitable person would be improvement, and might change your life as a philanthropist. But as the history of lotto winners shows that money is finite, so what happens when the money runs out. Not worth dealing with fake people either.

[Everyone disliked that.]
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
Well you'd have the option of therapy and meds of top quality if you want. But the money itself, it's not going to change much of a person with mental illness. Might bring out the bad side of you if anything.
Hmmmm. I don't know so much about that. I think if anything is gonna bring out the bad side of me, it would be desperation. I think that is pretty true for most people. Nothing brings out the ugly like desperation.

/WYSD
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 PM
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Hmmmm. I don't know so much about that. I think if anything is gonna bring out the bad side of me, it would be desperation. I think that is pretty true for most people. Nothing brings out the ugly like desperation.

That's true, I wouldn't know how to behave if I were starving since I've had the privilege of food always available. But knowing some people that are cold with their money, it could be the way they were raised. Most likely someone that grew up with not much would be a person that gives back when they get rich.

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 09:17 PM
Yoink

I think Andrew Yang's idea of $1,000 per month per person would help everyone especially people with anxiety, depression, health issues.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Packing My Bags

I guess its a double edge sword. Being rich could make you more confident and less worries about potential consequences knowing you have the wealth to cushion them. So you just go out and have a "just go for it" attitude. So this likely will help your SA.
But it might also make it you just keep yourself more into your comfort zone, because you have the wealth to afford you to do so. So you end up doing less and making your SA worse.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.

Succinct is golden.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
But it might also make it you just keep yourself more into your comfort zone, because you have the wealth to afford you to do so. So you end up doing less and making your SA worse.
But the point everyone is missing is that if you're the type who doesn't need people, it doesn't matter as long as you can afford to be a hermit. So being wealthy might not cure SA but taking medication doesn't cure it either. Assuming you could find a medication that actually works well enough to make it worth taking, what it DOES do is mitigates it. If you didn't need to go out and work, that would also mitigate that aspect of it. There is no cure for many of us so the best we can do is find ways to cope that knock out as many of our triggers as possible.

So it's kinda like how (as an epileptic) it might come down to me not being able to drive again eventually. There is no cure for epilepsy. So having someone drive me wherever I need to go accomplishes what I need done even if it does not allow me to drive. For the time being, I can drive. But there are people with epilepsy who will probably never drive.

/WYSD
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:06 AM
Trailer Trash Tranny

My Mood: Brooding
Becoming a millionaire wouldn't eliminate any of the problems that have led me to be poor, but it would eliminate about 90% of my stress, since most of my stress now revolves around poverty. In no way does having money make you superior to anyone else.

The only thing better than money is more money.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:58 PM
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Becoming a millionaire wouldn't eliminate any of the problems that have led me to be poor, but it would eliminate about 90% of my stress, since most of my stress now revolves around poverty. In no way does having money make you superior to anyone else.

Definitely

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:03 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Would help but still would be a struggle.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:14 PM
bipolar

Would definitely be nice though. I can think of a few very nice hotels I'd go back to - I'd probably just move in to one of them.

It's like that old saying - money doesn't buy happiness, but it lets you buy a very nice boat so you can sail up pretty damn close to it.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:52 PM
SAS Member

I'm not sure if it would help. In theory I feel like if I won $20 million I'd be confident and not give a crap about what anyone thinks of me because of the security that the money would give me. But I'm not sure if it would be that effective in reality, might not help SA at all.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 03:11 PM
SAS Member

No. It would probably reinforce it. I'd be free to become a total recluse.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page