Anyone here work as a waiter/waitress? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Anyone here work as a waiter/waitress?

What was your background prior to taking a server job? How did it work out for you?

I've thought it would be a good job to have for a while during this recession, but I've always been terrified of the idea. I think I could handle tables of 2 or 3 people. But I can imagine standing before a huge table of people trying to project my voice in a loud busy restaurant.

Was anyone who has done this surprised by how well you were able to do the job? If so, would you say your SA is mild? moderate? severe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Anyone? Bueller?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 AM
SAS Member

I waited tables as a part time job supplementing my full time job in the mid 90s. Its super hard work. I had no experience but I think I did allright at it and the tips were great. I only worked during the lunch rush and would bring home good tips.

I have always had public jobs so I didnt have any real problems doing it. I am, of course, not as bubbly and friendly as some servers are but in my experience a lot of people appreciate that. Your their to serve them their meals and drinks, not to be their new best friend.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM

You'll do fine

Hey, I worked as a server for 5 years and if I can do it anyone can! If your worried about making long food explanations or talking about the specials, try a sports bar or like a Chili's or some popular chain. You can make at least a hundred dollars a night. I am the type that breaks out in hives and turns bright red when someone asks me my name...in a restaurant it's a different vibe. The customer's expect you to be a little sweaty and they really aren't focused on you at all. All they care about is getting their food on time and having their drinks filled at all times.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcc2010 View Post
Hey, I worked as a server for 5 years and if I can do it anyone can! If your worried about making long food explanations or talking about the specials, try a sports bar or like a Chili's or some popular chain. You can make at least a hundred dollars a night. I am the type that breaks out in hives and turns bright red when someone asks me my name...in a restaurant it's a different vibe. The customer's expect you to be a little sweaty and they really aren't focused on you at all. All they care about is getting their food on time and having their drinks filled at all times.
I'm not sure I could be as rational as you about the situation. lol
I guess it all comes down to what we tell ourselves.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Don't write me off...you really can be a server. Honestly, when you work in a restaurant you will be GLAD to have the problem of social anxiety, compared to all those with drug addiction and other issues. Check it out for a year, you'll be surprised. If only for a laugh and some interesting stories.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcc2010 View Post
Don't write me off...you really can be a server. Honestly, when you work in a restaurant you will be GLAD to have the problem of social anxiety, compared to all those with drug addiction and other issues. Check it out for a year, you'll be surprised. If only for a laugh and some interesting stories.
My sister, who is very outgoing, did this for many years. She had some stories as well. I remember one time she dropped an entire tray of food. God, I would die. She also had some people try to skip on their bill, she had to run out the mall and into the parking lot to stop them. Crazy stuff like that. I think for me, the idea of walking up to a large group of people, who are there for a good experience, is daunting to say the least. Groups of 2 or 3 not so bad, but a big group. Ugh. When I was 15, I got a job in a busy mexican restaurant as a bus boy. My job would have been to bus tables, fill patrons water and bring the chips. The day I was supposed to start, I got so nervous all day at school worrying about it, that I broke out into a severe case of hives and had to quit before I even started. The hives (big welts all over my body) were so severe I missed two weeks of school and had horrible cramps. That's how powerful the human mind is. Irrational, but real. Now obviously I'm not as intimidated about it now as I was way back then, but the memory lingers.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM

That is the same that happened to me. I'm not trying to sell you on being a server because it was a struggle for me also. I dropped trays turned bright red and then faded into the kitchen and asked for help, people would say "Look how red you are!" I would say "because I dropped an effing tray" It became my trademark..the "red one" If you really want to face social anxiety, this is it...a few hours at night. You will be shocked how many servers are the same as you....I don't know why I'm even giving you advice. I can't even go to the grocery store without turning bright red and shaking. It just seems that the social aspect of everyone struggling for tips made everyone I worked with...less red..but the same as me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page