Anyone else feel weird when they walk? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
SAS Member

It helps not to think about your legs and walking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

I do a fair bit. I could be walking fine, then think people are looking and it would make me feel like im walking weird, do have the jelly like feeling in my legs when in public
post #43 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, but I actually walk a little funny. My right foot points to the right a bit instead of straight ahead, my left foot is fine. No one has ever commented on it though, but that's wanting to be perfect for ya.

post #44 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons84 View Post
So basically when Im at home I walk normal and am very energetic and outgoing. But when I go to school or a place with strangers or people I am not comfortable around then I feel like I am walking weird which then makes it so I actually am walking weird. anyone have this problem? I just cant seem to relax.
When I was in high school, I held my hands when I walked. I no longer do that but I've been told I walk/stand like a statue.
post #45 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Feeling Teal

Can't Balance

The same happens to me in public. When I'm anxious or not anxious in the slightest I can't walk straight, and it feels like one leg is shorter than the other. Really annoying and only happens in public. It's probably social anxiety or something. For a while I was worried about it. The only other thing I could think of is that one side of my brain was working harder than the other, creating imbalance.
post #46 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Forever Alone D:

It feels like I have to force my hands to swing when I walk. It doesn't come naturally. I love when it's colder outside so I can put my hands in my pocket. Then there's no problem.

"Life is very long, when you're lonely."

"Sixteen, clumsy and shy, that's the story of my life."

"Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you, from doing all the things in life you'd like to."

- Morrissey
post #47 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 AM
SAS Member

Now that I think about, I walk in a funny way too. Even when I'm normal. I kind of hop too much, and I don't really walk like a girl. But when I don't feel normal, I walk like a robot. And it's not just when i think about people watching me, it also happens when i become depersonalized so it feels like I'm controlling a puppet or a robot. Does this happen to anyone else?
post #48 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:47 AM
I have tried too long

Yes, I am always conscious about the way I'm walking, especially when I'm wearing high heels, I always wonder whether I do not bend my knees too much, then again I wonder maybe my legs are too straight and I look like a military man. it's crazy
post #49 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooterrr View Post
It feels like I have to force my hands to swing when I walk. It doesn't come naturally. I love when it's colder outside so I can put my hands in my pocket. Then there's no problem.

Same here. I also hate walking pass by a group of people just standing there.
post #50 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I can't beleife I found this. I feel exactly the same way. I also think people look at me and think I walk weird like when I cross the street people in cars are watching me. I sometimes like to run across so I can get itover with
post #51 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:00 PM
SAS Member

I'm so glad I'm not alone with this. Basically what everyone has already said applies to me too. I deal with it better when I'm walking along side someone and having a conversation, but that isn't always the case.
post #52 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
SAS Member

Yes. I really struggle with being out in public, especially entering a room where there will be a lot of people or walking past groups of people just hanging about. I feel like everybody is looking at me and can see I'm ****ting myself.
post #53 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStrangersx View Post
Yes. I really struggle with being out in public, especially entering a room where there will be a lot of people or walking past groups of people just hanging about. I feel like everybody is looking at me and can see I'm ****ting myself.
I know the feeling. Where I live, there are a lot of thuggy looking kids that hang about in groups outside shops and busy places. I hate walking past them, I feel like they'll shout something at me.
post #54 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee View Post
I know the feeling. Where I live, there are a lot of thuggy looking kids that hang about in groups outside shops and busy places. I hate walking past them, I feel like they'll shout something at me.
Where I live there are a lot of young people who think they're hard as nails but they don't really bother me, with a couple of exceptions. I get more self conscious in front of people who are probably just minding their own business, but because they look so relaxed I think they must notice how on edge I am.
post #55 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
SAS Member

I havn't been bothered by them either, not yet. They just really intimidate me because they're so confident and brash, especially in front of their friends.
post #56 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM
SAS Member

I know the type of people you mean and they are intimidating. Also, I'm noticing that there are a lot of young kids, maybe age 8-10, who are trying to intimidate adults, lol, but what can you say to a child? It doesn't seem right to tell them off if you don't know them.
post #57 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Woah, im shocked this thread ended up getting this many replies. Looks like its a real problem for a lot of us. And yes still having the problem myself
post #58 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:58 AM
find me a crystal ball

walking funny

I've had that feeling for a long time, especially if i didn't have anything to carry, even a jacket or whatever, but now i KNOW i walk funny because of the chronic low back pain i suffer, and the anxiety about it has disappeared. I don't worry because my mind is elsewhere-on my back. If you can place the anxiety you have onto something else, even a thought, then that feeling will disappear too i've noticed and you'll arrive before you have time to worry about it.

Off on your way-
hit the open road-
there is magic at your fingers
post #59 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 AM
inactive

I have no idea what to do with my hands.

"Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing".
-Jack Handey
post #60 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Social SADcase

I don't often get this but yesterday when I was walking to an appointment up the road I thought of this post lol. Yeah you can be self concious when walking, I also find myself holding something in my hand, usually a bag or car keys, something.

I have in the past had what you guys are talking about but not often, only if someone is behind me and I kinda tense up when I walk, it feels very unnatural but it's all in the mind.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page