Anyone else feel weird when they walk? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone else feel weird when they walk?

So basically when Im at home I walk normal and am very energetic and outgoing. But when I go to school or a place with strangers or people I am not comfortable around then I feel like I am walking weird which then makes it so I actually am walking weird. anyone have this problem? I just cant seem to relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Walking thru mindfields

My legs feel like jelly when walking in public, I'm more self conscious too
post #3 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I am always concerned if my arms are moving enough while I walk or if they are moving too much. And also my legs can feel like jelly at times.

post #4 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons84 View Post
I am always concerned if my arms are moving enough while I walk or if they are moving too much. And also my legs can feel like jelly at times.

x2.

Its not that i feel too lose.. i almost feel too stiff. tense almost. Its hard for me to stand without having my harms resting on something. its weird because when i wear a tight backpack it makes most of this issue go away.

any advice for this anybody???
post #5 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
YES, I have this problem, especially when I'm carrying something heavy, I almost start to weave side to side cuz I start to lose my balance if I know someone's walking directly behind me.
post #6 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
SAS Member

I use't to have that problem and it comes back occasionally... I use't to always think people thought I walked weird or were looking at how I walked and I think because I was thinking about it so much I started tripping over my feet occasionally... confirming my anxiety.
post #7 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAFIGHTER View Post
x2.

Its not that i feel too lose.. i almost feel too stiff. tense almost. Its hard for me to stand without having my harms resting on something. its weird because when i wear a tight backpack it makes most of this issue go away.

any advice for this anybody???
Yeah, I feel really stiff too. And whenever I stand still I feel like I am standing still wrong. (If you can even do that)
post #8 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM

And whenever I stand still I feel like I am standing still wrong. (If you can even do that)[/QUOTE]

hahah seriously though huh??? It doesn't even make sense.. I always need to be leaned against a hand rail or holding my phone or something. Talking on my phone while walking band aids the issue but definitely not a permanent fix to it. I feel like i think about how im walking so much that chances are i prbly start walking weird. After I train for a long time this issue is almost non existent until i take a shower and cool down and then it comes back. Very weird...
post #9 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Yeah, you're becoming self conscious. I used to have that walking problem. I don't really remember how I got over it so I can't really help. Maybe keep your mind occupied with something that you enjoy or something that you have to do so you don't think about your walking.
post #10 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM

I sometimes walk funny, or so I think, because I feel like people could be watching me...from their cars, from their windows, from anywhere. I don't think everyone is watching me, just that some people could be...because I do that, occasionally. I always feel on edge because I feel like I have to perform, even a task as simple as walking in a straight line properly, one foot in front of the other, just because someone could be watching me and if I screw up, I'll hate myself.
post #11 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM

I think the answer is probably becoming someone that you want people to see.
When you feel good about yourself, you walk with a purpose, with your head up. You're proud of you and you want people to see you.
Maybe we walk funny cause we don't know where we're going.
post #12 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
SAS Member

Yoga.

Seriously, it really helps you become aware of how you hold yourself. Not just that, it helps you improve how you hold your posture. I can always make myself comfortable in any position (standing, walking, etc.) since I can be aware of where my body should be held. After doing yoga, I felt like I could start being conscious of my body in a good way instead of a bad way.
post #13 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 7 View Post
I sometimes walk funny, or so I think, because I feel like people could be watching me...from their cars, from their windows, from anywhere. I don't think everyone is watching me, just that some people could be...because I do that, occasionally. I always feel on edge because I feel like I have to perform, even a task as simple as walking in a straight line properly, one foot in front of the other, just because someone could be watching me and if I screw up, I'll hate myself.
hahaha seriously... i feel like a tweeker, Im new to all of this. iv suffered from it most of my life but i was finally able to put a name on it yesterday (SAD) its almost funny that i walk around thinkin people are watchin me from everywhere lololol kinda laugh about it now but it still does bother me..
post #14 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 7 View Post
I feel like people could be watching me...from their cars, from their windows, from anywhere. I don't think everyone is watching me, just that some people could be...because I do that, occasionally.
lol, that's me too.
post #15 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
SAS Member

I dont feel that awkward walking, but if im standing and theres nothing to lean against, i feel uncomfortable. like i dont know where to put my hands or what to look at. i just stare at one thing and it feels like everyone sees how uncomfortable i am.
post #16 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
SAS Member

Yep, with everything physical that I do really. I can be alone at night walking down a quiet street then when I notice a car or another person I automatically tense up and feel uncomfortable and overly-aware of their presence, coordination goes out the window... and then I get self-conscious at my lack of coordination which makes me try to correct it, which makes my gait look even more unnatural

I can't smoke or drink or eat in front of others either for the same reason. Completely fine when alone.... awkward, jerky and clumsy otherwise.

Standing in line at the checkout with people behind me is another unpleasant situation
post #17 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disarmonia mundi View Post
Yep, with everything physical that I do really. I can be alone at night walking down a quiet street then when I notice a car or another person I automatically tense up and feel uncomfortable and overly-aware of their presence, coordination goes out the window... and then I get self-conscious at my lack of coordination which makes me try to correct it, which makes my gait look even more unnatural

I can't smoke or drink or eat in front of others either for the same reason. Completely fine when alone.... awkward, jerky and clumsy otherwise.

Standing in line at the checkout with people behind me is another unpleasant situation
me to!!! its weird sometimes i do things that dont make sense. like i dont realize what im doing. EX. say i was puttin silverware away well randomly il jus start walking around with the silverware still in my hand. or just moving stuff around.
post #18 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
The Round Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by disarmonia mundi View Post

I did the same thing, it got really uncomfortable, I got all clumsy and twitchy / jerky. Still have it in a mild form though, I tense up when walking around other people and I can't stop fidgeting when standing still.
post #19 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Hear, See , Be silent

I get stiff/jerky movement sometimes because Itend to tense up. No idea why though.

"I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." - Henry Rollins
post #20 of 155 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
subtastic

Yes. And it doesn't help that I actually DO walk weird. I'm trying to fix my weird walk, but it's difficult.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page