Anyone else feel more comfortable with people of their own gender? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Always on the Run.

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
But is anyone more comfortable being surrounded by people of their own gender?
No. It's always been the opposite for me.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 PM
🌈fox girl - 雌の狐

I definitely feel at ease around other girls. I've been around dudes most of my life, and my mom was always more masculine, I guess, personality wise. It seems really challenging to make solid friends with girls, but super easy to carry on a conversation briefly or as acquaintances.

There are very few things in life worth worrying about.
Those few that are worth worrying about, actually aren't worth worrying about either.

- - -
HOORAY for INTJ/FP
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Stressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat4799 View Post
Idk where I should put this...
But is anyone more comfortable being surrounded by people of their own gender? My hobbies often are popular with a lot of men, and I'll try to get into groups or attend events that suit my interests but there are a lot of times where no women are present at them and I get really anxious, and slightly intimidated and feel the need to leave. I don't know why this is, I've never been the victim of abuse or have had any real negative relationships with males. Additionally I don't seem to get anxious around agender or transgender people, Is this a common feeling?
My theory is🤔,it could be stupid. I think with being comfortable with our own gender is not ONLY about gender having common interests but also about attraction,bare with me,am having an epiphany here😁. I think if you find women attractive for example their opinion about you will subconsciously matter more than people you are not attracted to. Example as a guy I don't really give a thought about guys knowing I skipped a bath on two cold nights or I repeated underwear (theoretical ofcos). I think people are comfortable where they wont feel the pressure to be beautiful/funny/handsome/cute/charming/desirable etc.

I really have bad days I feel like am alone but it was once worse. I think am making progress and finding my smile back.

What am currently on:
Best Anxiety Program
The link is audios,videos and by that Irish guy Barry McDonagh(one of my favorite Social Anxiety authors ). Sharing is caring. Check it out and tell me what you think about his techniques. Best Anxiety Program

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:16 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHouse View Post
My theory is🤔,it could be stupid. I think with being comfortable with our own gender is not ONLY about gender having common interests but also about attraction,bare with me,am having an epiphany here😁. I think if you find women attractive for example their opinion about you will subconsciously matter more than people you are not attracted to. Example as a guy I don't really give a thought about guys knowing I skipped a bath on two cold nights or I repeated underwear (theoretical ofcos). I think people are comfortable where they wont feel the pressure to be beautiful/funny/handsome/cute/charming/desirable etc.
Definitely stuff to consider
Posted via Mobile Device
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:09 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Stressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
Definitely stuff to consider
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks bro

I really have bad days I feel like am alone but it was once worse. I think am making progress and finding my smile back.

What am currently on:
Best Anxiety Program
The link is audios,videos and by that Irish guy Barry McDonagh(one of my favorite Social Anxiety authors ). Sharing is caring. Check it out and tell me what you think about his techniques. Best Anxiety Program
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHouse View Post
Thanks bro
Why do everyone assume I'm a dude =p
Posted via Mobile Device
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:34 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Why do everyone assume I'm a dude =p
Posted via Mobile Device
Gender stereotypes + people often assume that people online are male unless they have enough evidence that points to the opposite.

Also I noticed bro seems to be becoming increasingly gender neutral like dude/man did before it in some dialects.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 AM
bipolar

If I really think about it I wouldn't say I feel more comfortable with one gender more than another. For me nowadays it has much more to do with what that person's like - if they seem sensitive and compassionate. Gender really doesn't seem to play much of a role in that as far as I can see.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doubtful
Just people with authority gets me really nervous or persons who I've had horrible histories with.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Walking through windows

Like others here, I'm the exact opposite. I much prefer the company of women, and I am comparatively much more at ease.

I am not my rosy self
Left my roses on my shelf
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Gender stereotypes + people often assume that people online are male unless they have enough evidence that points to the opposite.

Also I noticed bro seems to be becoming increasingly gender neutral like dude/man did before it in some dialects.
Trueeeeeeeueueueuu
Posted via Mobile Device
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I have friends of both gender, and my closest male friend observes that I seem to hate them. It was partly in jest but it's true, I very rarely have arguments with other women whereas I have terrible fights with male friends and partners.

There's a common mean girl trope in female friendships but I don't experience it... We're more often more gentle, supportive, and protective of another (at least in my social circles of the past 5-6 years). The non-family male relationships I've had have been borderline cruel, tactless, or abusive at their worst.

I've definitely met some good guys, but I think men are less hesitant to be harsh to others.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:48 AM
Permanently Banned

as a male fake woman i am slightly miffed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I have friends of both gender, and my closest male friend observes that I seem to hate them. It was partly in jest but it's true, I very rarely have arguments with other women whereas I have terrible fights with male friends and partners.

There's a common mean girl trope in female friendships but I don't experience it... We're more often more gentle, supportive, and protective of another (at least in my social circles of the past 5-6 years). The non-family male relationships I've had have been borderline cruel, tactless, or abusive at their worst.

I've definitely met some good guys, but I think men are less hesitant to be harsh to others.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Your local potato farmer

I'm naturally more anxious around men I don't know well compared to women because I have some past unprocessed trauma involving men. But when I was younger I had a tendency to get on a lot better with guys and I had more male friends than female.

more issues than vogue
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:52 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
as a male fake woman i am slightly miffed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The alcohol really did a number on my brain. I didn't understand this post at all.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM
I'll reply you all later

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
Originally gender is a word created to describe roles assigned to people of specific sex by society, their family etc since birth. But now seems like people use it and "sex" interchangably cause they were never informed on those things and linguistic nuances. As for people with a specific gender identity, even some of them think "gender is biological" or something. So it gets convoluted. But the most important thing to remember is that the correct use is the social side of it, not the biological one (sex). That's how it's used in academia from where it originated.

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'm not that comfortable with anyone unless I know them to a certain degree & like them enough to a reasonable degree, then I can be comfortable with anyone.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:29 PM
You tell me

It depends on the context. When it comes to one to one interactions I'm usually more comfortable with men. But I think I'd be more comfortable in a class full of women than men, probably mainly because that's what I have experience with. Also prefer female doctors for most things, but it depends.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page