Any musicians with recoding anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
I think I understand

My Mood: Amused

Any musicians with recording anxiety?

This is an annoying problem... and I don't know if there is any solution really. I'm a producer/composer/musician... what every you want to call an eclectic electronic musician. And I'd love to be able to record in parts in real time... but I just can't. I can come up with interesting riffs/melodies/chords just playing around, but the moment I hit record and the metronome clicks in I just lose it... I guess I could go in and edit the midi notes but that's a hassle. And part of the reason for playing in notes is to get a real feel to it...

I often just program in notes, because I feel more comfortable doing that. I tend to tweak the notes subtly to get a real feel to it... but this is time consuming. And sometimes you come up with different things programing vs playing...

I guess this is related to stage freight... but I actually don't have a problem with that. If I'm well practiced I can overcome my nervousness and get into the moment. But switching that on and off in a recording situation, just doesn't work.

It's analogous to what happens to me in conversations vs a well prepared performance speech. I did a bit of stand-up comedy before and some presentation in school, and these go very well. I can work through the most engaging way to present the words... but in regular conversations it's just word fumbles and bad analogies...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 PM

I know how you feel. I make progressive rock and play all the instruments myself. In some recordings that I will probably never release my anxiety is noticeable, to me at least. It was a lot worse when I used to smoke weed. Sometimes it worked really well, other times my anxiety got the better of me.

Now days I more or less just record every practice take, one after the other, eventually it gets so tight it's like "yep, that will do".

I don't have an answer for you sadly. I guess now I do some deep breathing, relax, don't overthink it and remember it's only one take, I can do as many takes as I want. Normally the first or second take is the best and most natural, after that it's more forced and not as nice to listen to.

KUSE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page