anxiety techniques - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 405 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 PM
SAS Member

hey

i used to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. i havent had one in yrs and never used medication. i practiced meditation twice daily without fail, i read many books on spirituality. i changed my diet and made sure i was grounded with food. i walked. did weights to stay grounded. i went to bed early and stretched and did yoga. basically i created balance. it takes time, but its possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 405 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM
SAS Member

Unhappy

No One Understands!

so i have never posted to one of these fourms before but now that i see people in the same position as me i think it would be benefical i have severe anxiety....and my partner and i just broke up because of this....i always think shes mad at me....if she says something a certain way....or if it takes her more then a 5 minutes to text me back i instantly think she is going to break up with me and now i get so upset and text her over and over again i guess for the reassurance that shes not....we love eachother i know we are meant to be....but she cant handle this about me...it stresses her out and causes us to fight and im to the point where i will do anything to make this go away to get her back i love her and i dont want to lose her....no one seems to understand or express sympathy to the fact that i am going through this....and how tough it is inside....and now i have no one to talk to ....someone please help ! what do i do !
post #43 of 405 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM
SAS Member

The ONLY technique that works for me is prayer to god. He always answers me in due time. I cant think of anytime where he hasnt helped me with anything. Deep breathing doesnt work, vitamins dont seem to work, never tried medication yet, but for now im going to fully rely on Jehovah God!

post #44 of 405 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
SAS Member

HI jimmity! thank you so much for posting that! it really helps. I am a psychology student majoring in counselling undergoing CBT cos of SA.LOL...Just liek to share another technique they use that is quite similar that is the main aim is to refute irrational thoughts. Dysfunctional Thought Record (DTR). The aim is to be able to make it a habit so that you can refute your thought "on the fly" whenever an event triggers your anxiety. heres a link. http://www.bridgmandocs.com/forms/DTR.pdf

the trick is to do it everytime an event triggers until you are conditioned to it. as for me, i saved it in my phone so it wont be that obvious. Your post help me understand more of the concept. thank you very much!
post #45 of 405 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 AM
SAS Member

I found information in this link very helpful as well.
post #46 of 405 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxietyfreak View Post
so i have never posted to one of these fourms before but now that i see people in the same position as me i think it would be benefical i have severe anxiety....and my partner and i just broke up because of this....i always think shes mad at me....if she says something a certain way....or if it takes her more then a 5 minutes to text me back i instantly think she is going to break up with me and now i get so upset and text her over and over again i guess for the reassurance that shes not....we love eachother i know we are meant to be....but she cant handle this about me...it stresses her out and causes us to fight and im to the point where i will do anything to make this go away to get her back i love her and i dont want to lose her....no one seems to understand or express sympathy to the fact that i am going through this....and how tough it is inside....and now i have no one to talk to ....someone please help ! what do i do !

Maybe a cbt therapist would be able to help you through some things?

You get a gold sticker!

"I think the existential dilemma is: We're social animals, so we all wrestle with a sense of inadequacy. But when we realize that we're not as inadequate as we thought we were, and when we realize that everybody elese also thinks they're inadequate, then the ache goes away and the idea that we're not a person of value disappears to some extent."

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick"
post #47 of 405 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 AM
SAS Member

positive thoughts: I tried this the other day in a bar. I was hanging out with some friends and I could feel the SA start to come on. I was thinking about how quiet I was being. I worried people thought I was boring. I just started to get really down on myself.

Then I tried something new. I challenged myself to come up with 5 positive things about my current situation. I looked around the bar and noticed the great decorations, the good beer on tap, the cute girls, all the people laughing and singing (it was a karaoke bar), all of my good friends hanging out together.

I immediately felt better. And I now had 5 positive things to talk about.
post #48 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for this. Excellent stuff.
post #49 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Another technique I found worked good was crying really hard. Just gotta find a thought or situation to make you cry. You need to feel the underlying pain of something rather than just reacting with fear and shame at the door of emotional expression in the mind. For me that cured 99% of my social anxiety for a week. Life became beautiful.
post #50 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

My Mood: Cheerful
Wow I wish i had a printer so i could print this out and read over it daily... oh well, seems like i have to write this down ^^ but it'd be VERY worth it... My anxiety isn't that bad, I think if i practice I could overcome it with out the use of meds, Im gonna have to try this first seeing as I have no money for meds in the first place XD

but number 5. RESPONSE PREVENTION ( is where I struggle, I usually flee) But i'll try what you said and stay put when ever I feel afraid.. this is very good, did u do this yourself or get it somewhere? This article is a blessing^^
post #51 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

Cool

Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostyalevin View Post
positive thoughts: I tried this the other day in a bar. I was hanging out with some friends and I could feel the SA start to come on. I was thinking about how quiet I was being. I worried people thought I was boring. I just started to get really down on myself.

Then I tried something new. I challenged myself to come up with 5 positive things about my current situation. I looked around the bar and noticed the great decorations, the good beer on tap, the cute girls, all the people laughing and singing (it was a karaoke bar), all of my good friends hanging out together.

I immediately felt better. And I now had 5 positive things to talk about.
Thats really awesome. ^^ I need to try that as well. Im going to write everything that applies to me down .
post #52 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimity View Post
Another technique I found worked good was crying really hard. Just gotta find a thought or situation to make you cry. You need to feel the underlying pain of something rather than just reacting with fear and shame at the door of emotional expression in the mind. For me that cured 99% of my social anxiety for a week. Life became beautiful.

I don't get it : / could you explain this a little more please, I might try this as well.
post #53 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

If this is what CBT is then I am sure it'll work for me ^^ after writing down these down I already feel like I can do it ^^ an d Im gonna have hecka fun w/ the role play thing with the critic and target >
post #54 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkboy92 View Post
The ONLY technique that works for me is prayer to god. He always answers me in due time. I cant think of anytime where he hasnt helped me with anything. Deep breathing doesnt work, vitamins dont seem to work, never tried medication yet, but for now im going to fully rely on Jehovah God!

Yah ^^ Im gonna do both as well, i figure if I actually try to put myself out their and pray, the results will increase.
post #55 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Smile

Yes guys this is CBT and it works. For some you just learn it and you're good. Others should practice these techniques throughout there lives. You can live a solid happy life with SA if you continually "sharpen the saw" or keep doing stuff to push yourself and learn to be happy/ successful in life.

Knowing how to overcome CBT -ie reading books, learning about cognitive behavioral therapy or techniques, is the first step (in a long journey).

Practicing, repeating, and ingraining these techniques and abilities is the next stage. Pushing yourself to actually DO stuff (gradually and at your own pace) is more important then anything in overcoming SA. --even if it's not the easiest thing to do at the moment. (but it does pay off if you put in the effort)

Most important is to bring this stuff into the real world and practice, repeatedly until you have basically conditioned yourself to not have SA..

If you're interested in practicing online CBT check out my group
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...group-therapy/http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...group-therapy/

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
post #56 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarslippers View Post
Wow I wish i had a printer so i could print this out and read over it daily... oh well, seems like i have to write this down ^^ but it'd be VERY worth it... My anxiety isn't that bad, I think if i practice I could overcome it with out the use of meds, Im gonna have to try this first seeing as I have no money for meds in the first place XD

but number 5. RESPONSE PREVENTION ( is where I struggle, I usually flee) But i'll try what you said and stay put when ever I feel afraid.. this is very good, did u do this yourself or get it somewhere? This article is a blessing^^

I mainly copied it from books I have but I put a lot of it into my own words and experience.
post #57 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 AM
SAS Member

the main thing is just be more positive and dive in into the fear and be a risk taker!!! thats what i got from it
post #58 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

needed.
post #59 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 AM
SAS Member

*bows down*

Thank you so much for this thread. This is exactly what I've been searching for, anxiety techniques. I find the wealth of knowledge in this thread to be so inspiring. It just gives me a lot of hope to know that I have so many different techniques to try, and that none of them will cost me and arm and a leg.

I'll be reading over the techniques a few times and then selecting the ones that I feel may be the most beneficial to me and then attempting them.

Thanks again, Jimity.

~ H
post #60 of 405 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Permanently Banned

@jimity These are great CBT techniques. What book/site did you these from?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page