anxiety techniques - Page 13 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #241 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
MerMaiden

SMART Training for Anxiety

I recently had the singular experience of attending a Seminar on the S.M.A.R.T. method by Dr. Amit Sood. This is a method of stress relief that has been developed by several doctors at Mayo clinic. It stands for Stress management and Resilience Training. I found it to be very helpful.

Most of my anxiety stems from interactions with those of the male persuasion, but also very aggressive/competitive females. I have found also, like many of you, that as my stress goes up, my anxiety symptoms get worse. I have implemented many of the techniques used in the SMART training and found them to be very practical, methodical and effective.

One of the first things they recommend that you do is to start taking control of your thoughts. Instead of allowing your brain to wander, you choose your thoughts. If you find yourself in a moment where you are not task focused, they recommend that you take that time to send those in your life, family, friends, enemies, all...to send them well-wishes or little mental blessings. You can make this non religious, spiritual, or religious, according to your preferences...and this allows you to prevent the mental obsession and ruminating that can sometimes lead to or exacerbate the negative thought process that leads to social anxiety.

This is something that I am practicing on a daily basis. Each of the recommended tasks, I am trying to practice them for 21 days each so that I develop them as habits. During this time, I am also journaling my progress and setbacks in order to prepare for the next stage.

I will post more about this method in my next post. I would like to hear if anyone else has been trained in this method, and if so, how it has worked out for you in the long run. I am very interested to hear from other women who have experienced anxiety around men, specifically if they are employees that you have to supervise, and especially if they are particularly attractive. Aside from my usual anxiety around men, I am currently experiencing acute anxiety as the new supervisor of an extremely attractive male. Same anxiety over the fact that he is male...new anxiety over the fact that he is my responsibility and very attractive.

I look forward to your responses. : )

Mermaiden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
SAS Member

SMART Training for Anxiety

It is a good way to be relax from anxiety.

I am Emdad. I am Interested in all good site.
post #243 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

tyty

post #244 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
NOTHING MATTERS

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...post1061073874

FAITH WARRIOR

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. GALATIANS 2:20
post #245 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 AM
SAS Member

Lmao wow I made this up in my mind thinking I was the only one! haha wowwwww thank The Lord I'm not the only one like this... It's not cuz I smoke weed. Been this way my whole life.
post #246 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM
SAS Member

Wow this is me thinking in my head to get over this lol spot on. It does work. But I'm not fully over it yet... I don't think ill ever be to be honest
post #247 of 402 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
SAS Member

So I should approach drunk women at bars and try to take advantage of their inebriated state?

No thank you.

I want a girlfriend not hepatitis...I am not interested in becoming a sleezeball.
post #248 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 AM
anhedonic

My attention span is too short to read through everything, but it seems like the gist is 'just do it'.
post #249 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuchicken View Post
So I should approach drunk women at bars and try to take advantage of their inebriated state?

No thank you.

I want a girlfriend not hepatitis...I am not interested in becoming a sleezeball.
There suggestions. You tackle your own problem how you like.

When you feel vulnerable and your psychological defenses are failing the best defense mechanism is to be more trusting.
post #250 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solasum View Post
My attention span is too short to read through everything, but it seems like the gist is 'just do it'.
Pretty much. You can tackle social anxiety with all sorts of mental gymnastics.

When you feel vulnerable and your psychological defenses are failing the best defense mechanism is to be more trusting.
post #251 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
SAS Member

Thank you so much Jimity for sharing these techniques! Just what I needed.
post #252 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Querdenker

My Mood: Confused
Yes, it is good of you to create this thread. By the way, what's Heaven like?

cheer up - God is with you
post #253 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddesdon View Post
Not all it's cracked up to be.

post #254 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
SAS Member

Anxiety Busting

I used to have anxiety. It ruled my being.

It started in high school.

Im almost 30 now.

I now have no anxiety.

The key: Acceptance. Fighting anxiety is doing yourself a disservice because you are trying to rid of something that has and is a part of you. Accepting the anxiety will naturally rid of it. It takes time, but focus on acceptance and your world will change. Knowing that the effects of anxiety are normal, that they are not made up or unnatural, but instead they are part of this universe will lead to a full acceptance. Acceptance will help you cope with the fear of anxiety. The fear is the hardest part, not the symptoms. Fear is the hardest thing to conquer, but if you learn to accept fear, you will live your life in peace. Beating fear means accepting all that is. all that will be. all that has been.

If you remember anything: Acceptance is key.
post #255 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beall View Post
I used to have anxiety. It ruled my being.

It started in high school.

Im almost 30 now.

I now have no anxiety.

The key: Acceptance. Fighting anxiety is doing yourself a disservice because you are trying to rid of something that has and is a part of you. Accepting the anxiety will naturally rid of it. It takes time, but focus on acceptance and your world will change. Knowing that the effects of anxiety are normal, that they are not made up or unnatural, but instead they are part of this universe will lead to a full acceptance. Acceptance will help you cope with the fear of anxiety. The fear is the hardest part, not the symptoms. Fear is the hardest thing to conquer, but if you learn to accept fear, you will live your life in peace. Beating fear means accepting all that is. all that will be. all that has been.

If you remember anything: Acceptance is key.
I was thinking about this today. Just accept the way I am. Like I'm real shy and awkward and I just have to accept this is the way I am and I must live with being like that. It's like being born with a physical disability. There is no point in trying to fight the disabillity if there is nothing you can really do so must just come to accept the way you are.

post #256 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
SAS Member

Thanks for sharing these techniques
post #257 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
NOTHING MATTERS

Love and Light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddesdon View Post
It's like Heaven.

FAITH WARRIOR

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. GALATIANS 2:20
post #258 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaiden View Post
I recently had the singular experience of attending a Seminar on the S.M.A.R.T. method by Dr. Amit Sood. This is a method of stress relief that has been developed by several doctors at Mayo clinic. It stands for Stress management and Resilience Training. I found it to be very helpful.

Most of my anxiety stems from interactions with those of the male persuasion, but also very aggressive/competitive females. I have found also, like many of you, that as my stress goes up, my anxiety symptoms get worse. I have implemented many of the techniques used in the SMART training and found them to be very practical, methodical and effective.

One of the first things they recommend that you do is to start taking control of your thoughts. Instead of allowing your brain to wander, you choose your thoughts. If you find yourself in a moment where you are not task focused, they recommend that you take that time to send those in your life, family, friends, enemies, all...to send them well-wishes or little mental blessings. You can make this non religious, spiritual, or religious, according to your preferences...and this allows you to prevent the mental obsession and ruminating that can sometimes lead to or exacerbate the negative thought process that leads to social anxiety.

This is something that I am practicing on a daily basis. Each of the recommended tasks, I am trying to practice them for 21 days each so that I develop them as habits. During this time, I am also journaling my progress and setbacks in order to prepare for the next stage.

I will post more about this method in my next post. I would like to hear if anyone else has been trained in this method, and if so, how it has worked out for you in the long run. I am very interested to hear from other women who have experienced anxiety around men, specifically if they are employees that you have to supervise, and especially if they are particularly attractive. Aside from my usual anxiety around men, I am currently experiencing acute anxiety as the new supervisor of an extremely attractive male. Same anxiety over the fact that he is male...new anxiety over the fact that he is my responsibility and very attractive.

I look forward to your responses. : )

Mermaiden
21 days is not enough for everyone.

Jon

"Choices are the hinges of destiny." ~ Pythagoras
post #259 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
SAS Member

I am bumping this topic for it's invaluable content and recent discussions if possible. I am in my 40 something and have lived with SA for the rest of my life. imity has said a lot of great things to do and perhaps you have tried many of them. What works for me is acting silly without any hesitation and telling myself, this is the worst it can get so what and sometime when my mind keeps thinking about the past, it's very hard not too although if one pauses for a moment and thinks that it's virtually impossible for anyone to know what is going in my head then everything becomes a little easier but not always. I never though so many techniques existed and gonna try some tomorrow and report you all back. Could you all share something more on how to let go when you are in the loop? Here is my example :

My mind keeps thinking that someone is watching me. I know they are probably just thinking about how insecure they are too. Perhaps that are thinking something else not what I think. This seems to be worse when you have a co-worker who too seems to have a SA but won't share a thing even if you do about the SA. I guess it's best to pretend that he/she doesn't have it seems to work sometime. Anyone here has tried any method listed here. Thank you so much imity
post #260 of 402 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM
SAS Member

Smile

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOCO stoner View Post
Wow this is me thinking in my head to get over this lol spot on. It does work. But I'm not fully over it yet... I don't think ill ever be to be honest
Laughing at myself when I am In going through anxiety helps me overcome It.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page