advice on giving a presentation....please - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Fine

advice on giving a presentation....please

Hello. I just joined this forum earlier today. In my first introduction post I briefly mentioned what I am dealing with right now, and what is causing me quite a bit of anxiety, and over thinking.
I recently was laid off from my job that I had been at for a little over 30 years because of ďcorporate downsizingĒ. I took some time off and spent up my severance package and have recently landed a new job. I have been here for about 4 months. Because of my anxiety I struggle with certain things that come along with this job. Decision making. Taking initiative, having a little authority. All new to me. The one thing that Iím really struggling with is that Iím expected to give presentations to the workers every couple weeks. At least. Meetings of around 15 usually.
What I struggle the most with is the anticipation of the meetings that I have to get in by the end of the week. Almost every week And believe I me put them off until the very last minute. Itís constantly on my mind and itís what I wake up thinking about every morning. Iím more anxious working my way closer to the meeting than I am doing them. Of course Iím also popping a propranolol and a Xanax a coupe hours before.
I know this questions comes up all the time but any can any advice be given on getting through these meetings? Anything that has worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:53 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcInTheDark View Post
Hello. I just joined this forum earlier today. In my first introduction post I briefly mentioned what I am dealing with right now, and what is causing me quite a bit of anxiety, and over thinking.
I recently was laid off from my job that I had been at for a little over 30 years because of ďcorporate downsizingĒ. I took some time off and spent up my severance package and have recently landed a new job. I have been here for about 4 months. Because of my anxiety I struggle with certain things that come along with this job. Decision making. Taking initiative, having a little authority. All new to me. The one thing that Iím really struggling with is that Iím expected to give presentations to the workers every couple weeks. At least. Meetings of around 15 usually.
What I struggle the most with is the anticipation of the meetings that I have to get in by the end of the week. Almost every week And believe I me put them off until the very last minute. Itís constantly on my mind and itís what I wake up thinking about every morning. Iím more anxious working my way closer to the meeting than I am doing them. Of course Iím also popping a propranolol and a Xanax a coupe hours before.
I know this questions comes up all the time but any can any advice be given on getting through these meetings? Anything that has worked for you?
Wow - I can really sympathise with you, I wouldn't be able to do that job at all. I'd be just too worried all the time.

Do the meds help with the actual presentations?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Lol I was going to suggest beta blockers and benzos, but you're already doing that 😉

Props to you for doing the job. Like the poster above, I simply wouldn't be able to deal with something like that.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:25 AM
MAGA

OP, you're already doing far more presentations than I've done. I did the same about taking an ativan/xanax when I had to present something at a meeting which wasn't too often like you're having to do now.

All I can think of is maybe doing more prepping for the presentation, outlining it, practicing/simulating it over and over maybe like an actor (or a weather reporter for a regular segment), anticipate possible questions, etc. But you're probably well ahead of all that already. Or maybe hire one of those "career coaches" out there for consultations. SAS dwellers like us are probably not good nor experienced advice for this sort of thing.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

[/quote]

Wow - I can really sympathise with you, I wouldn't be able to do that job at all. I'd be just too worried all the time.

Do the meds help with the actual presentations?[/QUOTE]Hi Harrison I take Buspar and propranolol regularly and an extra dose of propranolol a couple hours before the presentations.

I’d like to add my friend that most of my life I would not have even been able to apply for a job like this let alone stand up in front of a bunch of people and present. So there’s definitely hope for a little anxious life for all of us. I’m currently taking Buspar regularly. I’m not sure that’s really helping with anything
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for the replies and advice I take Buspar and propranolol regularly and an extra dose of propranolol a couple hours before the presentations. I was popping a xanax as well when I first started My goal is to get to the point where I don't need any of that.

Iíd like to add my friends that most of my life I would not have even been able to apply for a job like this let alone stand up in front of a bunch of people and present. No matter what the amount of meds. So thereís definitely hope for a little less anxiety in all of our lives.

And yes the more I prepare the easier it is and the less anxiety there is. again leading up to the presentation are worse than the actual presentation. If I and expected to give one on Friday the overthinking and worry starts on Monday. Shoot that remeinds me I have to give one on Friday! lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Goofy
Are the meetings with the same people every week? If its with the same people, then the familiarity might make things easy. You can even befriend some of them and mention to them that you have an anxiety problem. Telling people about the problem can have an enormous comforting effect and you won't feel as intimidated the next time you're in a meeting.

Another technique is to look forward to meetings instead of dreading them. See them as an opportunity to practice your social skills and to curb social anxiety.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do the meds help with the actual presentations?[/QUOTE]Hi Harrison I take Buspar and propranolol regularly and an extra dose of propranolol a couple hours before the presentations.

Iíd like to add my friend that most of my life I would not have even been able to apply for a job like this let alone stand up in front of a bunch of people and present. So thereís definitely hope for a little anxious life for all of us. Iím currently taking Buspar regularly. Iím not sure thatís really helping with anything[/QUOTE]

You can probably tell by the above quote I'm not too savvy when it comes to message boards.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
Are the meetings with the same people every week? If its with the same people, then the familiarity might make things easy. You can even befriend some of them and mention to them that you have an anxiety problem. Telling people about the problem can have an enormous comforting effect and you won't feel as intimidated the next time you're in a meeting.

Another technique is to look forward to meetings instead of dreading them. See them as an opportunity to practice your social skills and to curb social anxiety.
Thank you. This is all great advice. Funny some of these same ideas I came up these past couple weeks trying to prepare myself for the next meeting. Especially looking forward to the meetings and not dreading them. Telling yourself over and over that your looking forward to them and seeing them visually in your head as going well helps.

For the most part it is two groups of the same same people. but some come and go. but as you said get to know them better and I have been doing that. Going up and talking to them on breaks and stuff. I'm getting to know their names.

I'll post how Friday goes. Thanks again
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:59 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Thank you. This is all great advice. Funny some of these same ideas I came up these past couple weeks trying to prepare myself for the next meeting. Especially looking forward to the meetings and not dreading them. Telling yourself over and over that your looking forward to them and seeing them visually in your head as going well helps.

For the most part it is two groups of the same same people. but some come and go. but as you said get to know them better and I have been doing that. Going up and talking to them on breaks and stuff. I'm getting to know their names.

I'll post how Friday goes. Thanks again
Hi mate - you're a lot braver than I am.

You need to use the "Quote" button when you want to quote people, and so they can see you have. Otherwise we won't know.

Hope it goes okay on Friday.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Hi mate - you're a lot braver than I am.

You need to use the "Quote" button when you want to quote people, and so they can see you have. Otherwise we won't know.

Hope it goes okay on Friday.
Thanks friend. Quote button to show a quote. Makes sense now. And thanks again.

I'm almost looking forward to Friday....Almost
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:19 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Thanks friend. Quote button to show a quote. Makes sense now. And thanks again.

I'm almost looking forward to Friday....Almost
Wow - that's just incredible. You really are an inspiration. I'd be scared stiff.

I used to work in libraries and often had to give talks or take library tours - no matter how many I did it never got any easier. It was terrible.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Well just finished the presentation. Didn't go as smooth as planned. I worked myself up all morning more than I have the prior couple meetings. I think there was 20 guys at the meeting. That didn't bother me. Once I got in there I was fine. THEN.....The sweats. I starting sweating. Hasn't been an issue the past meetings. Gotta figure that one out. I don't know if me not taking remeron for a weekhas anyhing to do with it.. I took 20 mg of propanalol which for me doesn't do much for my worrying, but it does away with the body sensations that come with anxiety. Well apparently all but sweating. So until next Fridays meeting. Which ill start obsessing about right about now.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:11 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Well just finished the presentation. Didn't go as smooth as planned. I worked myself up all morning more than I have the prior couple meetings. I think there was 20 guys at the meeting. That didn't bother me. Once I got in there I was fine. THEN.....The sweats. I starting sweating. Hasn't been an issue the past meetings. Gotta figure that one out. I don't know if me not taking remeron for a weekhas anyhing to do with it.. I took 20 mg of propanalol which for me doesn't do much for my worrying, but it does away with the body sensations that come with anxiety. Well apparently all but sweating. So until next Fridays meeting. Which ill start obsessing about right about now.
Sorry to hear. Sweating wasn't so much a problem for me as much as I just had trouble speaking. My throat would lock up and I felt like I couldn't breathe (or speak). It was noticeable too so that would of course make it worse. A horrible feeling.

Just thinking about it makes me swallow hard - it's unbelievable.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM
SAS Member

Well done going through with the presentations. I'd hate that job and would avoid those meetings like the plague.

My doc prescribed 40mg of propranolol. Maybe up your dose? Also, if you are ok speaking to people one on one, try speaking to people one on one in turn during your presentation instead of talking to a large group.

It should get easier over time, exposure should make you braver each time. The hardest part is going through it the first few times.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:25 AM
SAS Member

Defiantly ask your Dr about the dose of propanol...I need triple that amount before I feel any affect. Also, I participate in Toastmasters as a way to expose me to presentations/speaking. Even with Toastmasters and the meds, it still can be difficult at times.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page