>?< - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 PM
ΔX

My Mood: Mellow

Re: >?<

You can't even admit to having anxiety or depression in America without drawing wierd looks. People being generally unsympathetic here tends to make the whole thing worse.

What is the most important thing you can be doing right now, and why aren't you doing it?
Training is nothing! Will is everything! The will to act.
Often a 80% plan executed right away is better than a 100% plan executed later.
You think that's air you're breathing now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Does the huge amount of drug use have any bearing on the depression & SA statistics in America..??
When i was in the U.S, i couldn't believe the amount of drugs that were consumed by almost everyone & they were so easy to get hold of, unlike London were it's almost impossible to even get a joint these days..!!?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 PM

I rather think that having a surfeit of money and material goods breeds a more virulent type of poverty - one of mind and spirit. But maybe that's just my puritanical side talking.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 05:21 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun
Does the huge amount of drug use have any bearing on the depression & SA statistics in America..??
When i was in the U.S, i couldn't believe the amount of drugs that were consumed by almost everyone & they were so easy to get hold of, unlike London were it's almost impossible to even get a joint these days..!!?
Huh! wouldn't expect that from London since it's a major city. Drugs are easy to find in America...but things like pot are hard to find in certain places. I really don't know how we compare to other places in the world.

I think being addicted to drugs, not just using them, makes you more susceptible to Depression and other disorders.

But anyway, I'm sure people have a better chance of avoiding mental health problems once they reach a certain standard of living. Struggling to make ends meet can take up a lot of time and cause a lot of stress. Still, not having/barely having enough money is only one of many things that can potentially have a negative effect on people's innate predispositions for disorders.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 05:24 PM
SAS Member

Part of the problem is that we are expected to be more successful than our parents, when we are 25. You need to buy the yuppie cookie cutter home for $200,000 instead of the normal $70,000 one that would make financial sense.

There is a lot of competition here. You have to be the best or you are just an average person here.

There is also the fact that there are 5 times more people in the US than in the UK.

Maybe the schools are set up differently across the pond that makes SA less prevalent over there?

"Sure there are plenty of other fish in the sea; but you're not anywhere near the sea. You're in the desert. Alone."
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
It's our culture. We have very little traditional culture... nothing with any practical foundation on making our lives more stable and happier. Having a high GDP per capita has nothing to do with quality of life, and it certainly has nothing to do with the amount of leisure time that people have. There are millions of people in poverty here anyway - some places are very high crime, high poverty, lack basic services that are the norm in the UK... etc etc.. And the general cultural mindset is capitalistic... it's a giant rat race. Not exactly good for depression or anxiety.
Venezuelans are about as happy as Americans even though we're what... 50 times wealthier?
Very, very little of our cultural goals and drives make any sense with regards to making our lives any better or happier.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 08:07 PM
SAS Member

Sigh. That's what de Toqueville thought too. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to live where I do but there's plenty of inequality and intolerance of all kinds.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
O.K guys.. Please explain to me how SA & depression come about when Middle-class Americans are probably the most privilidged people on the planet..?? I don't get it.!
For one thing, we live in a very competitive and high stress society. It demands perfection, and where people strive for perfection, depression and anxiety disorders abound.

Also, like some of the others have mentioned, there is a huge biological predisposition for these kinds of disorders. Ask people here how many of them have parents or relatives with similar problems.

Another thing is that anxiety disorders and depression are becoming more and more recognized here, where as in some countries mental illnesses of all kinds are discredited. There is probably a lot of social anxiety existing in the world that goes unreported and untreated.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 02:59 PM
"Semi-retired" SAS Member

I'll echo the above sentiments about there being no real correlation between SA/depression and material wealth.

Also, it's a misconception that all or most Americans are affluent compared with with the rest of the developed world. The US is the wealthiest per capita country in the world, but that "per capita" is a statistical illusion. An increasingly small upper-class elite own an increasingly large chunk of my country's wealth.

At the other extreme, you don't have to look far, in inner-city neighborhoods and rural backwaters, to find millions of Americans living in conditions ranging from quite modest by general Western standards to near-thirdworld poverty.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leppardess
Quote:
Originally Posted by User
But if you haven't moved beyond the basic struggle for survival, then you don't have any time/energy/motivation to dwell on SA. You either get over it or die.
I disagree with this statement. In my own experience, I've gone from living relatively well, to struggling and my anxiety never really changed in how bad it was. Struggling, in and of itself has no bearing on SA, overcoming it or 'getting over it' Overcoming SA in an of itself is a struggle. Adding one struggle on top of another just makes things worse.

The only way that I can see wealth being a plus is that you're able to afford to seek help much easier.
I don't know whether SA is less prevalent in third world countries than in the developed world or not, so I'm not talking about that. What I meant is that if you have to struggle for basic resources (food, water, shelter), then you have much bigger problems to deal with than SA. Your SA might be the same, but you would have to live as if you didn't have it. Just take a look at any third world country and notice the lack of basic antibiotics, much less medication for anxiety disorders. Anyone with SA (minus the most severe cases) has to "get over it" or die. Now once you introduce wealth and the struggle for survival is over, then psychological problems can take center stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qolselanu
You can't even admit to having anxiety or depression in America without drawing wierd looks. People being generally unsympathetic here tends to make the whole thing worse.
This is true. Even though tens of millions of Americans are on psychiatric medication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified
Part of the problem is that we are expected to be more successful than our parents, when we are 25. You need to buy the yuppie cookie cutter home for $200,000 instead of the normal $70,000 one that would make financial sense.
Damn, I forgot how cheap housing is in other parts of the country. Where I live, wealthy county in a major Mid-Atlantic metro area (take your pick...), "normal" houses cost $400,000-$500,000. $200,000 is bordering on low income housing.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Neue Nihilist

Apparently Nigerians are the world's happiest people, despite their poverty and low level of development. The least happy people, according to the same study, are Romanians, despite coming from a relatively well-developed middle-income country now part of the EU. Assuming this study has any truth to it, it's fair to conclude that wealth and privilege have little bearing on emotional well-being. I would think it has more to do with one's culture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3157570.stm

On a side note, I'm $30,000 in debt

Open up, it's the FBI Police! I'm Special Agent Detective Sargent Doctor Trenchcoat, and this is my partner The Right Honorable Professor Judge Captain Snake!
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for some great replies to my thread..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page