>?< - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

>?<

Are most of the members on this forum Americans..??

I've been to the U.S many times, mainly on the East Coast, Florida, New York & a few more places & i think it's the greatest country in the world. I struggle to understand how you guys have Anxiety & problems with depression when i see so much opportunity & wealth every where i turn.?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 05:51 AM
SAS Member

Re: >?<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun

I've been to the U.S many times, mainly on the East Coast, Florida, New York & a few more places & i think it's the greatest country in the world. I struggle to understand how you guys have Anxiety & problems with depression when i see so much opportunity & wealth every where i turn.?!
This commercial may explain some of that ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5EP9StlVA
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, i watched that clip & i found it quite amusing, but you still have a high quality of life despite being in debt.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Yeah, i watched that clip & i found it quite amusing, but you still have a high quality of life despite being in debt.
I've never really had much depression but I had and still do to some extent have SAD. I don't think standard of living has much to do with SAD. For some people SAD leads to depression so that's how someone with a high standard of living can be depressed. Also some depression I think is just the result of a chemical imbalance problem.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Monster

SA, at least for me, has nothing to do with how "comfortable" I am. It has to do with people. Yes, we're mostly wealthy but money creates just as many problems as it solves. Due to student loans, I am already quite deep into debt and as many would agree, the stress that finances cause torments many Americans and their families.

The grass may seem greener on the other side until you find out our grass is fake.

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Anxiety and depression can and does affect people, irregardless of their financial situation. I grew up in a fairly well off middle class family and I've been anxious and depressed most of my life.

And as LostInReverie stated, financial stresses can do it's own damage. Having 'things' and money doesn't make anyone exempt from having SA or depression.

And yes, the majority of the members here are from the US.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

O.K guys.. Please explain to me how SA & depression come about when Middle-class Americans are probably the most privilidged people on the planet..?? I don't get it.!?
I'm unclear on whether it's down to a chemical imbalance, as previously stated, as depression affects so many in the U.S.

I'm not taking a cheap shot at you guys, i just wanna understand.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Monster

If you want to understand, then listen. We already told you. Please explain to me why you believe that someone has SA because they do not have money? What does that have to do with anything? Regardless of how many "privileges" I have, I'm still scared ****less of people. I have a BA degree and have a rather low income due to SA. These opportunities mean nothing if you cannot overcome your fears.

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:31 AM
SAS Member

Probably the vast majority of americans don't have anxiety or depression, at least it seems that way, sometimes seems like they are too happy like Stanley Johnson in the commercial. We here are probably just part of the unlucky few. I have to admit I think my SAD would improve if I was wealthy. I'm not poor, not in debt up to my eyeballs but I'm far from being rich. I've never traveled outside the country. Tommy Gun your standard of living must not be too bad if you have traveled to the U.S. many times?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInReverie
If you want to understand, then listen. We already told you. Please explain to me why you believe that someone has SA because they do not have money? What does that have to do with anything? Regardless of how many "privileges" I have, I'm still scared ****less of people. I have a BA degree and have a rather low income due to SA. These opportunities mean nothing if you cannot overcome your fears.
Exactly. Having opportunities is meaningless if you fear dealing with people.

I suggest that you read up on SA. Nowhere does it make a differentiation between those that have money and those that don't. No one, not even the professionals know exactly what causes SA. Most of what you might read is theory (opinion) and nothing more as far as that goes.

There are a few famous people that have publicly admitted to having SA (Donny Osmond comes to mind) and he has plenty of money.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:52 AM
SAS Member

Material possessions and financial wealth aren't the only things that can affect a persons state of mind. I would've thought that to be obvious. Besides, i don't think the UK is so bad either.

Plus there's more than one class in any country, it's not as if the US consists purely of wealthy middle class folks living in luxury. There's plenty of people like that here too but you wouldn't say that everyone is problem free because of that.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

No, te U.K isn't doing to bad, but some of us in London are.. I live here & constatly struggle, thus making me a very angry frustrated man & i don't bode well in other peoples company because of it.

http://www.abbeyroad.co.uk/virtual_visit/webcam/

I'm sorry to have made the mistake of linking SA & depression with a standard of living, but it does seem to go hand in hand with me.
With the U.S having a almost 96% eployment rate, i'd have thought they have the least affected with this..
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM

why do you assume there's a correlation between standard of living and social anxiety? our fear is pretty much independent of money. it's about people.

i think you may be confusing social anxiety with depression in general. they are totally different.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 AM

The cost of living and average earnings of Americans aren't in balance. There is no middle class anymore, and the anxiety and depression come from working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet. The fear of ending up broke and on the streets may cause a lot of anxiety. Exhaustion from working so much with nothing to show might cause depression. Which is reinforced by the media which equates quality of life with money and material things.

I don't know, i'm one of the lucky ones who only needs one job to barely make it.

Social anxiety is in a class by itself. I don't think having money would ease my people problems.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 AM
SAS Member

Paradoxically, I think there could be a link between standard of living and SA--the wealthier and more privileged a person is, the likelier they are to struggle with SA! Now don't get me wrong, I think that anybody can suffer from SA. But if you haven't moved beyond the basic struggle for survival, then you don't have any time/energy/motivation to dwell on SA. You either get over it or die. On the other hand, if your physical survival isn't a real concern, then your mind shifts its focus to other issues, in this case SA.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by User
Paradoxically, I think there could be a link between standard of living and SA--the wealthier and more privileged a person is, the likelier they are to struggle with SA! Now don't get me wrong, I think that anybody can suffer from SA. But if you haven't moved beyond the basic struggle for survival, then you don't have any time/energy/motivation to dwell on SA. You either get over it or die. On the other hand, if your physical survival isn't a real concern, then your mind shifts its focus to other issues, in this case SA.

This is a great post.. That is exactly, what i was getting at..!!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User
But if you haven't moved beyond the basic struggle for survival, then you don't have any time/energy/motivation to dwell on SA. You either get over it or die.
I disagree with this statement. In my own experience, I've gone from living relatively well, to struggling and my anxiety never really changed in how bad it was. Struggling, in and of itself has no bearing on SA, overcoming it or 'getting over it' Overcoming SA in an of itself is a struggle. Adding one struggle on top of another just makes things worse.

The only way that I can see wealth being a plus is that you're able to afford to seek help much easier.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:15 PM
R.I.P. Do not contact.

Yep...if I was living on the street, I'd rather starve to death than panhandle.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCL XI

You've lost me, what does "Pan-handle" mean..?
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 PM
R.I.P. Do not contact.

[quote=Tommy Gun]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VCL XI":633bc

You've lost me, what does "Pan-handle" mean..?[/quote:633bc]

Begging for money on the street.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page